Joe Jackson - The first 10 years or the whole career

Do talk back
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Joe Jackson - The first 10 years or the whole career

Postby Neige » 18 Apr 2021, 21:54

He deserves it.

The first 10' years go up to the live double and they're all great (ok, I don't rate Will Power very highly and I'm particularly fond of Beat Crazy).

There have been great moments on everything he did since.

This one from Fool (2019) is wonderful

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Joe Jackson - The first 10 years or the whole career

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Apr 2021, 22:10

Look Sharp is great. We never talk about that album. Every song makes the grade. That same year's I'm the Man is almost as good.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 18 Apr 2021, 22:24

I have a problem with Joe. First, let me mention that I adored Look Sharp. I had the double-EP version which I thought was really cool. It came with a button. That album is the sole reason I wore nothing but white shoes until 1990. I'm The Man not so much. Too many fillers (Get That Girl, Kinda Cute to name two). He probably was in a hurry to bring out a 2nd album (same year as Look Sharp) in order for it to ride on the success of the first. Beat Crazy is a failed attempt to ride the Ska-train that The Specials etc. started. JJ has admitted as much and says he doesn't like the album. I skipped Jumpin' Jive but got both Night & Day and Body & Soul. I tried hard to like that music but Slow Song, Breaking Us In Two, Be My Number Two and Happy Ending are just sentimental drivel. Worse than Elton John at his worst. But I kept on trying, I really did Joe. Maybe by the time I listened to Blaze of Glory and Laughter & Lust he'd already pissed me off so much that I'd become uncompromising. Only a Masterpiece could have saved him for me but that he never produced or ever will produce. And besides all that he's just a whiny git that always felt underappreciated by everybody.
I liked the acapella live version of Is She Really Going Out With Him. Those lyrics, by the way, personify Joe Jackson. In The Netherlands we call that Calimero Complex.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 19 Apr 2021, 07:54

mudshark wrote:I liked the acapella live version of Is She Really Going Out With Him. Those lyrics, by the way, personify Joe Jackson. In The Netherlands we call that Calimero Complex.

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Apr 2021, 14:23

Neige wrote: and I'm particularly fond of Beat Crazy).

Beat Crazy is a fave here too, especially the title track.
I’m the Man and Look Sharp are top notch too. I really only got off the bus after Big World which was a pretty great record too.
Great songwriter , great band behind him.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 19 Apr 2021, 14:51

Mike Boom wrote:
Neige wrote: and I'm particularly fond of Beat Crazy).

Beat Crazy is a fave here too, especially the title track.
I’m the Man and Look Sharp are top notch too. I really only got off the bus after Big World which was a pretty great record too.
Great songwriter , great band behind him.

Another big fan of Beat Crazy here.

mudshark wrote:Beat Crazy is a failed attempt to ride the Ska-train that The Specials etc. started.

There are a few 'ska-like' tracks but it seems a bit more than that, In Every Dream Home, Evil Eye, Battleground, Biology seem more pop dub, and his ballady One To One, Fit

His book 'Cure For Gravity' shows a frustrated classical musician, and I think of him as that rather than a whinger who nobody gets.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Apr 2021, 15:38

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
His book 'Cure For Gravity' shows a frustrated classical musician.

This may well prove your point:

Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Apr 2021, 17:23

I’m a big fan as well and really like Beat Crazy. Night And Day might be the pinnacle for me. Great songs well played. That double live album is a corker and I love the solo version of Steppin’ Out on that one. It became an instant favorite with me. Body And Soul was also excellent imo. I got off the bus after Laughter And Lust. His live shows were always fresh and worthy since he frequently rearranged his old songs to keep himself engaged and I loved that about him. While I won’t rave about Will Power I do find it enjoyable, particularly Nocturne.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 19 Apr 2021, 19:22

I am a fan and have nearly everything. I was playing songs from Fast Forward on my ipod just the other day.
He is brilliant live - I have seen him four or five times in different iterations. He has released several live albums, all of which are ace.

But even if his whole output isn't all great, he has written some amazing songs.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 20 Apr 2021, 05:34

Night and Day and Body and Soul form my favorite era of Joe Jackson but the debut and Blaze of Glory are also pretty great. I always something something to enjoy in everything he's done even the classical leaning Symphony No. 1 has worthy moments although I don't reach for it often.

I've checked out a few of his latter day albums and although I haven't taken the plunge in buying them I've liked what I've heard.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 20 Apr 2021, 14:17

Body and Soul is excellent , the Verdict , Be My Number Two and Happy Ending especially

Return to “Yakety Yak”