Bruce Springsteen

Do talk back
robertff

Bruce Springsteen

Postby robertff » 18 Apr 2021, 14:11

Just wondered what the general consensus regarding Bruce might be?

I've got a number of his albums, all bought second hand very cheaply bar one (Born To Run - when he was the saviour of Rock 'n' Roll). He was/is hugely successful, sold millions and millions of records but I just can't say I'm a real fan - I ought to like him a great deal but there is just something. My friend Tim thought he was the 'bees knees' but he just never really did it for me.

So just wondered really, what are your thoughts about him, like him, love him, loathe him?

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: Bruce Springsteen

Postby slightbreeze » 18 Apr 2021, 14:23

Own quite a few albums, his first three being my favourites. However, I like him, but don't love him. Difficult to criticise him, because what he does, he generally does pretty well, but if I went downstairs one morning and found a burglar had stolen my entire record collection, Springsteen wouldn't be the first artist I would rush to replace. I'd also have a sneaking admiration for the burglar, who, obviously, had very good taste in music.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 18 Apr 2021, 14:43

He is absolutely incredible live, particularly with the E Street Band.
He has done some stunning albums and some less stunning albums, but for the most part I buy his stuff and love it enormously.
His autobiography was fun to read.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 18 Apr 2021, 14:49

I have all his albums to keep the whole thing complete. But at least the last eight were bought cheap and not when they came out.
Except for the Seeger sessions and the following live album. I loved those.
As for the first ones, yeah I was a big fan.
Not however Nebraska where he was trying to be early Bob Dylan.
Some feel Human Touch and Lucky Town were downhill but I loved them well enough. As the MTV Plugged.
But from The Rising (2002) to Letter To You (2020) it's a no no from me.

I think what keeps him in the running can only be his E Street Band live shows.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 18 Apr 2021, 15:44

Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. (1973)
The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle (1973)
Born to Run (1975)
Darkness on the Edge of Town (1978)
The River (1980)
Nebraska (1982)

Everything up to and including Nebraska was fantastic, Born in the USA and Tunnel of Love , have their moments but not much after for me.

robertff

Postby robertff » 18 Apr 2021, 16:12

Played Tunnel of Love and The River a day or so ago - they were okay, some good very proficient tracks but that’ll do for a while. Think I’ve got most albums up to and including Human Touch, just don’t feel the desire to play them that much.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Apr 2021, 16:13

Everything from the '70s and '80s is essential. After that the best he can be is 'good.'
"that 1985 NME list was a huge influence on my listening habits - and I actually feel kind of grateful to them for publishing it. It's no exaggeration to say that (indirectly) it brought me enormous pleasure over many years."
-John Coan

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Apr 2021, 20:39

Matt Wilson wrote:Everything from the '70s and '80s is essential. After that the best he can be is 'good.'

Pretty much agree with that but I do like Letter To You a lot.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Apr 2021, 22:06

Matt Wilson wrote:Everything from the '70s and '80s is essential. After that the best he can be is 'good.'

Indeed. I stopped after Human Touch. I was a huge fan in the 70s and into the 80s but overtime I have tired of his sound. I have no interest in his newer music or going to a stadium to see him. He has put on some epic shows and deserves praise and I wish him well but I barely keep up with his career these days.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 19 Apr 2021, 22:13

He’s definitely one of my favourites. I have all his albums apart from Nebraska which I might have sold as I never really liked it. Even his 21st century albums all have their merits. I’ve seen him 4 or 5 times, always brilliant live. Western Stars from 2019 was wonderful. His autobiography is worth a read.
[indistinct chatter]

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 Apr 2021, 22:51

I've only ever bought 2 of his albums: The RIver and The Seeger Sessions. I like 1/3 of the former and all of the latter. Which probably explains why I haven't bought more. Through sharing I've obtained copies of some of his earlier albums but apart from 2 or 3 decent songs on some of those it was largely forgettable. Saw him at the New Orleans Jazz Fest way back when (2013, I'm thinking) and he's a great performer. But he ain't no Nick Lowe or Graham Parker in terms of song writing. Maybe not even an Elvis Costello. I sometimes wonder whether Bruce and Jim Steinman are one and the same person. A lot of it is so pompous.

for me he's been the most exciting superbowl act I've ever watched, but I haven't seen all of the half-time shows (maybe 18, or 17)

Oh, I'm telling a lie: my ex-wife bought me the 5-album live thingy for my birthday with my money so effectively I bought it. Liked the first 2 LP's quite a bit.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 20 Apr 2021, 11:38

Neil Jung wrote:He’s definitely one of my favourites. I have all his albums apart from Nebraska which I might have sold as I never really liked it. Even his 21st century albums all have their merits. I’ve seen him 4 or 5 times, always brilliant live. Western Stars from 2019 was wonderful. His autobiography is worth a read.

Agree in full, including the remark on his shows.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 Apr 2021, 23:02

I guess I was wrong: Bruce and Jim Steinman are not one and the same.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 21 Apr 2021, 07:38

mudshark wrote:I guess I was wrong: Bruce and Jim Steinman are not one and the same.

Are you sure? Has anyone seen Bruce in the last couple of days?
Bugger off.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 21 Apr 2021, 14:26

Rorschach wrote:
mudshark wrote:I guess I was wrong: Bruce and Jim Steinman are not one and the same.

Are you sure? Has anyone seen Bruce in the last couple of days?

He's down in the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun.
Torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 Apr 2021, 15:18

Well I grew up on the Jersey Shore in the 70's, to not like Bruce is almost sacreligious.
Oddly, I was a big fan of his first two albums. When Born to Run came out we were a fan but after a few months we couldn't handle all the new fans especially in school. So started to not listen to much Bruce anymore.

Fast forward to the late 90's and I started to look into his past catalog past the first three albums and became a fan of all his albums up to Born in the U.S.A. After that I only like a few songs from a few albums. His live shows are his gems now. Saw him a few times since 00 and always so much energy and fun shows.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Apr 2021, 18:24

Neil Jung wrote:He’s definitely one of my favourites. I have all his albums apart from Nebraska which I might have sold as I never really liked it. Even his 21st century albums all have their merits. I’ve seen him 4 or 5 times, always brilliant live. Western Stars from 2019 was wonderful. His autobiography is worth a read.

That is almost exactly my position too - even down to the amount of live gigs, all of which have been at least very good and (on two occasions) absolutely sensational.

I broadly agree with the studio stuff too - The Rising was very under valued to me, and Western Stars was and still is majestically superb.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Apr 2021, 18:43

Saw him live in Rotterdam (1985) was sensational.

In Ghent (1999) was by the numbers.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Apr 2021, 18:46

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Saw him live in Rotterdam (1985) was sensational.

In Ghent (1999) was by the numbers.

Saw him in Coventry in 2016 - one of the greatest gigs I've ever seen.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 22 Apr 2021, 19:33

Live Rotterdam 1981 (Ahoy), and 1985, 1987 (Feyenoord Stadium). Ahoy was really the best (an indoor arena, c. 8,000 seats, IIRC).
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.