Postby mudshark » 15 Apr 2021, 22:50

Jesus of Cool (1978)
Labour of Lust (1979)
Nick the Knife (1982)
The Abominable Showman (1983)
Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit (1984)
The Rose of England (1985)
Pinker and Prouder Than Previous (1988)

Great pop music for boys and girls of all ages. And that's not even mentioning his stuff with Brinsley Schwartz and Rockpile. Anything Costello could do, he could do it better. And of course there's no contest whatsoever in the latter years because Elvis hasn't managed to produce anything even remotely as good as Dig My Mood and The Convincer. He deserves at least as much credit as Paul Weller as one of the biggest UK music icons. And naming your EP Bowi because Bowie did Low is just wonderful.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Re: Nick Lowe - the first 10 years

Postby Six String » 16 Apr 2021, 03:13

His work in Little Village with Hiatt and Cooder is superb as well. Sure he wasn’t the main attraction in that band but he took care of business. He’s been a real blind spot for me over the years. I have the Rockpile album and loved Brinsley Schwartz but somehow didn’t follow through with his solo work.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Apr 2021, 05:28

I just think I've got a comp for the solo years of Nick Lowe, but of course have really enjoyed the Rockpile and Brinsley Schwartz albums. I tend to agree, he's better than Elvis Costello. But not as good as Dave Edmunds.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Apr 2021, 07:16

Well, there's no accounting for taste.

To be fair, while I think Heart of the City and What's So Funny ... are fine songs, I haven't listened to a lot more of what he's done. The few tracks I've listened to didn't inspire me at all.

So, I think you need to make a best of list on Spotify and share it with me, or at least post a few suggestions in this thread.
Last edited by Rorschach on 16 Apr 2021, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Bugger off.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Apr 2021, 11:00

No doubt the man could write a song or two and produce records.
I had his first two on vinyl but in the end was satisfied with Basher, his first compilation on cd.
Rockpile and Little Village both should have had longer careers.

Now Basher had my favourite Lowe song: Marie Provost, about an actress that got eaten by her own dogs.

"She was a winner
who became her doggies dinner
"

Pure genius.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Apr 2021, 12:10

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Now Basher had my favourite Lowe song: Marie Provost, about an actress that got eaten by her own dogs.

"She was a winner
"

Pure genius.

It's not actually a true story. Kenneth Anger just made it up.

But anyway, I like the lyric well enough, it's amusing, but no more than that. It's nowhere near as clever as EC's wordplay. I know it's just a snippet but seems to be to be a good example of why EC is much better. NL doesn't have the depth or the seriousness to compare as a writer or musician.
Bugger off.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Apr 2021, 13:09

Rorschach wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

"She was a winner
"

Pure genius.

It's not actually a true story. Kenneth Anger just made it up.

But anyway, I like the lyric well enough, it's amusing, but no more than that. It's nowhere near as clever as EC's wordplay. I know it's just a snippet but seems to be to be a good example of why EC is much better. NL doesn't have the depth or the seriousness to compare as a writer or musician.

:D
I'm 'sort of' sorry it's not a true story.

But for the rest, I have to agree with you.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 16 Apr 2021, 13:52

Rorschach wrote:Well, there's no accounting for taste.

To be fair, while I think Heart of the City and What's So Funny ... are fine songs, I haven't listened to a lot more of what he's done. The few tracks I've listened to didn't inspire me at all.

I think he's too run-of-the-mill-country-rock oriented for my liking.
A comp is plenty for me, and I rarely play that

He's good at what he does but what he does is not very interesting to me.
I would take 100 Costellos out of 100 over him.
And 95 Dave Edmundses too.
The Complete Jah Bob Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 16 Apr 2021, 14:15

I love him and I think he is a fine songwriter - Egypt is the best song Robbie Robertson never wrote. But he is not in the same league as Costello.

He is a brilliant raconteur as well and I’d much rather have a drink with him than Costello, although neither of them drink anymore. Looking at the photos on the Rockpike album cover, it’s not surprising in Lowe’s case.

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Apr 2021, 14:46

Much ado about nothing very much I'm afraid.

Got a few bits and pieces by him with BS and solo but to be honest I could easily do with out them, same with Costello and Dave Edmunds for that matter, both of whom are at least a rung above Nick Lowe.

Robert

Postby Robert » 16 Apr 2021, 16:07

mudshark wrote:Anything Costello could do, he could do it better

Yes, he was the toughest.

Though not as succesful.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 Apr 2021, 16:18

I don't think Lowe ever meant to be a 'deep' songwriter like Costello, at least not in the early days. Jesus of Cool (or Pure Pop For The Now People is it was cowardly called in the US) is loaded with light-hearted and funny songs. I find the Sound of Breaking Glass, Marie Provost, So It Goes, Little Hitler etc. a real joy to listen to, still to this day. Yes, his music is quite 'country' and if that's not your thing then there's a lot of his stuff you won't like, Probably was inevitable since he was part of the Carter-Cash family for over a decade (step-father-in-law Johnny covered one of his songs: The Beast In Me). From his later work I really like Dig My Mood. It's a relaxed, laid-back album with lyrics that are more serious than what he used to write. And he must be credited for bringing Dann Penn and Spooner Oldham back to the UK and to well-deserved prominence. The album Moments From This Theatre was recorded when they were on tour with Lowe in the late 90s. In my book Nick Lowe is at least as good a song writer as Elvis Costello, and Dan Penn is at least as good as Burt Bacharach.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2021, 16:19

That first album is something of a classic though - in either its UK or US version.
"that 1985 NME list was a huge influence on my listening habits - and I actually feel kind of grateful to them for publishing it. It's no exaggeration to say that (indirectly) it brought me enormous pleasure over many years."
-John Coan

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 16 Apr 2021, 16:39

Great rendition of one of his great songs here from 10:00

Last edited by Tom Waits For No One on 16 Apr 2021, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Robert

Postby Robert » 16 Apr 2021, 16:40

mudshark wrote:In my book Nick Lowe is at least as good a song writer as Elvis Costello.

Ah, not better anymore! Give it another 10 minutes and he’s worse. :lol:

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Apr 2021, 17:05

mudshark wrote: ...step-father-in-law Johnny covered one of his songs: The Beast In Me) ...

Ah, right. I hadn't noticed that was by him. I do like that song and JC's performance.

Come on then. Make me a list of other songs I should check out.
Bugger off.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 16 Apr 2021, 17:16

Rorschach wrote:
mudshark wrote: ...step-father-in-law Johnny covered one of his songs: The Beast In Me) ...

Ah, right. I hadn't noticed that was by him. I do like that song and JC's performance.

Come on then. Make me a list of other songs I should check out.

I've popped a little 'best of' in dropbox for you if you can access that.

Give a shit or be a shit.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Apr 2021, 18:09

mudshark wrote: and Dan Penn is at least as good as Burt Bacharach.

Very true this

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 16 Apr 2021, 18:23

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
mudshark wrote: and Dan Penn is at least as good as Burt Bacharach.

Very true this

As a writer of melodies?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Apr 2021, 19:01

The first two albums are classics (I slightly prefer LoL to JoC). And I wrote an embarrassingly personal essay on (the generally overlooked/undervalued) Pinker And Prouder Than Previous here not long ago; it's one of my favorite albums by anybody.

In between those two points? Some decent songs here and there, and a fair amount of half-assed rubbish.

As it happens, I am more likely to put Nick on than EC, but I wouldn't necessarily say that makes him "better."