Prediction: Prog goons love this

Do talk back
Hightea

Re: Prediction: Prog goons love this

Postby Hightea » 21 Jul 2021, 15:31

C wrote:Tym lad - I acknowledged it was prog earlier but just not to my liking.

As Zappa said: you either get it or you don’t.

No harm done if you don’t

Incidentally, here are two examples of 'good' prog

Yes this is grand prog of the 70's but I find so much more than just this as excellent prog and it didn't stop in the 70's although that was its peak.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 05 Aug 2021, 17:54

mudshark wrote: Ever listened to Spock's Beard? I've tried a few years ago, and it didn't end well. I still feel the effects. It's a cacophony of sounds, too often interrupted by a Very Charismatic singer who failed the opera test. I was in the book shop and discovered they've got their own magazine?!?!? It's like the invasion of the bodysnatchers. Don't let them get you.

This strikes me as rather mean-spirited. Actually, Spock's Beard are a dedicated, highly independent outfit who have championed the independent path for musicians for decades. They just happen to make prog music because they like it, as do their fans, myself included.

Their music is, or at least was, made in their own studios which looks like an abandoned laundry from the mid-70s. When they tour, it is self-financed or might be crowd-funded. A decade ago their founding drummer was forced to leave the band to tour with touring circus Cirque du Soleil in order to provide income for his wife and children. If they have a magazine it will be fan-produced and funded. Their albums are on one of two independent labels: Metal Blade Records or Inside Out Records (although the latter has a distribution deal with Sony).

If they made any other type of music - folk, heavy metal, punk, jazz, classical, they would be hailed as heroes who have managed to stay true to their musical vision through poverty and career setbacks since the early 90s. They aren't trying to 'get you'. If they broke into your home they would ignore you and forage for food for their families.

They play prog because they love it. Get over it.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Aug 2021, 22:40

Thank for his this insight LMG.
The best proggers are commie proggers. I respect their dedication and all you mentioned.
But in my opinion the music the produce is really, really bad and actually could do harm. Not those lovely, idealistic lads for whom I have the greatest respect even if only 10% of what you say is for real, but their 'music' is what I trying to warn the world for.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Aug 2021, 20:44

Spock’s Beard are very good, without ever being great.

Nick D’Virgilio (the founding drummer referred to earlier) is now one of the key members of Prog Gods Big Big Train.

An incredibly talented musician. One of the best drummers on the planet, he also sings, plays guitar and keyboards to a high standard.

Top man, and a huge personality.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Aug 2021, 16:13

mudshark wrote: Send a decent musician to a music school and soon he feels a simple blues or reggae beat is beneath him because he can do 327 notes a minute.

Sorry missed this pathetic comment. So if a song isn't blues or reggae it sucks? I'm assuming you don't mean that? I would be bored within a few days of only listening to blues and reggae no matter how good it was. Damn I search each day for something new and exciting and its not a f*ck blues based songs that has been done over and over for 60 years. Love reggae but after a few hours it drives me loopy. Can't listen to Prog for that long either.

In regards to 327 notes a minute - does that really matter, its either good or bad? I tend to like the different time signatures and its relation to classical and jazz then the speed stuff but some of it is good. Musicians got tired of playing 4 x 4 time signatures and started experimenting - thank god for that they weren't the only ones.

On the prog deal in modern music. I've been sick of artists and music critics claiming that prog is not in modern music its all over the place. Go look up Slider's Battles you will not find one reference claiming its prog influenced but it is. The best modern rock bands are one that are mixing several genre and not sticking to one formula.

sorry for the rant been arguing with antivaxs people this morning.

Give me Turkuaz!!!
Last edited by Hightea on 08 Aug 2021, 05:12, edited 2 times in total.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 07 Aug 2021, 22:20

LMG wrote:
mudshark wrote: Ever listened to Spock's Beard? I've tried a few years ago, and it didn't end well. I still feel the effects. It's a cacophony of sounds, too often interrupted by a Very Charismatic singer who failed the opera test. I was in the book shop and discovered they've got their own magazine?!?!? It's like the invasion of the bodysnatchers. Don't let them get you.

This strikes me as rather mean-spirited. Actually, ... They just happen to make prog music because they like it, as do their fans, myself included.

They play prog because they love it. Get over it.

What's mean spirited about what he said? He doesn't care for their music and he was taking the piss a bit. Get over it.

Hightea wrote:
mudshark wrote: Send a decent musician to a music school and soon he feels a simple blues or reggae beat is beneath him because he can do 327 notes a minute.

Sorry missed this pathetic comment.

What's so pathetic about that?

Obviously a touch ironic but seems perfectly reasonable, whether or not you agree with it.

Hightea wrote:So if a song isn't blues or reggae it sucks?

Of course. Exactly what Mudshark said. Oh, hang on, no he didn't.

Some people need to lighten up and stop being so precious about music they happen to like.
You like it and some other people don't. Get over it.

Give me Turkuaz!!!
[/quote]
Bugger off.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Aug 2021, 05:10

Rorschach wrote:
Hightea wrote:

Sorry missed this pathetic comment.

What's so pathetic about that?

Obviously a touch ironic but seems perfectly reasonable, whether or not you agree with it.

Yes I guess I was more what it implied.

Hightea wrote:So if a song isn't blues or reggae it sucks?

Of course. Exactly what Mudshark said. Oh, hang on, no he didn't.

Some people need to lighten up and stop being so precious about music they happen to like.
You like it and some other people don't. Get over it.

[/quote]

Not angry about it just commenting. By the way I don't like King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard or Spock's Beard.

Return to “Yakety Yak”