Keith Jarrett unlikely to play again following two strokes

Do talk back
`

Keith Jarrett unlikely to play again following two strokes

Postby ` » 22 Oct 2020, 09:37

Story in today's Guardian. Like a lot of posters here, I have Koln Concert. While it only gets played on Sunday morning's once a year or so, it's always a terrific listen. Given that his performances are so visceral, hope he recovers sufficiently to enjoy life away from the stage.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... in-strokes

Purgatory Brite

Re: Keith Jarrett unlikely to play again following two strokes

Postby Purgatory Brite » 22 Oct 2020, 11:35

Dreadfully sad news.

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 Oct 2020, 19:21

Devastating news

I love the man

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 22 Oct 2020, 20:21

Very sad news.

Five years ago next month, a true friend of mine announced one afternoon that she had just scored a couple of tickets for us to go and see him that evening. She warned me that these were partial-viewing seats, which was fine with me - just to be in the same room as the man while he did his thing was enough for me, however far away or obscured my view.

In fact, the seats were immediately behind the piano, facing the rest of the audience. I assume they were released on the day because KJ had to give his permission to have people so close to him as he played. He was about twenty feet or less from me, the only time I could not see him was if he dipped his head to the keyboard. and not only could I see him clearly, he could also see me.

This caused an unexpected problem - I was coming straight from a day's work, and was terrified that while concentrating on the music I might suddenly dose off. Given KJ's reputation, I was mortally afraid that I would get immersed in a piece and wake up to see a furious Keith Jarrett looking up at me from a few feet having left his piano stool to come over and ask me 'Am I disturbing your sleep, Sir?' while behind him an entire audience stared in horror at us.

I gave my friend explicit instructions to dig me in the ribs if she saw me dozing off, which fortunately did not happen.

It was a tremendous show, and KJ did his trademark storming off stage during the second set because someone risked taking a photograph, but he came back eventually.

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/keith ... tival-hall
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 Oct 2020, 22:31

LMG wrote:Very sad news.

Five years ago next month, a true friend of mine announced one afternoon that she had just scored a couple of tickets for us to go and see him that evening. She warned me that these were partial-viewing seats, which was fine with me - just to be in the same room as the man while he did his thing was enough for me, however far away or obscured my view.

In fact, the seats were immediately behind the piano, facing the rest of the audience. I assume they were released on the day because KJ had to give his permission to have people so close to him as he played. He was about twenty feet or less from me, the only time I could not see him was if he dipped his head to the keyboard. and not only could I see him clearly, he could also see me.

This caused an unexpected problem - I was coming straight from a day's work, and was terrified that while concentrating on the music I might suddenly dose off. Given KJ's reputation, I was mortally afraid that I would get immersed in a piece and wake up to see a furious Keith Jarrett looking up at me from a few feet having left his piano stool to come over and ask me 'Am I disturbing your sleep, Sir?' while behind him an entire audience stared in horror at us.

I gave my friend explicit instructions to dig me in the ribs if she saw me dozing off, which fortunately did not happen.

It was a tremendous show, and KJ did his trademark storming off stage during the second set because someone risked taking a photograph, but he came back eventually.

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/keith ... tival-hall

A great story Chris!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 20 May 2022, 21:58

Fond memories!

Following the PSL in which we enjoyed Tokyo '96 I am playing the same Standards trio with Jack DeJohnette and Gary Peacock, After The Fall. Recorded in 1998 but released only recently-ish - twenty years after the fact, actually.

Title refers to a two-year break Jarrett had to take while suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome that hit him in while on the 1996 tour.

Excellent stuff, both recordings.

More info on the events in 1998 here:

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/08/arts ... lence.html

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 May 2022, 15:35

LMG wrote:Fond memories!

Following the PSL in which we enjoyed Tokyo '96 I am playing the same Standards trio with Jack DeJohnette and Gary Peacock, After The Fall. Recorded in 1998 but released only recently-ish - twenty years after the fact, actually.

Title refers to a two-year break Jarrett had to take while suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome that hit him in while on the 1996 tour.

Excellent stuff, both recordings.

More info on the events in 1998 here:

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/08/arts ... lence.html

One of my favourites!

Good call Chris

Return to “Yakety Yak”