NOW PLAYING.

Do talk back
User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44618
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby der Freiherr » 28 May 2021, 17:27

Six String wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:GRATEFUL DEAD Dick's Picks 19
Oklahoma City, October 19, 1973.

Not into the deep stuff, but so far the good stuff is good and the bad stuff is Bob Weir singing songs he shouldn't sing with brief interludes of appalling noise from Donna G.


Donna might be the biggest mistake the Dead ever made besides trying that high grade heroin, allegedly.


After listening to a few Dick's Picks from 73 and 74 and half-heartedly reading some debate about the World Famous Cornell Show from 1977, I'm listening to that again and I have to say that so far her singing really works here. It's very together. I feel obliged to note it because I'm such a frequent critic of her contributions, credit where it's due. I had never realized she was from the Muscle Shoals scene, such as it was, until I watched the Muscle Shoals movie.

But back to Oklahoma City . . . to be fair, it's not like Weir is covering himself in glory either.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Six String
Posts: 21965
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Six String » 28 May 2021, 18:34

der Freiherr wrote:
Six String wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:GRATEFUL DEAD Dick's Picks 19
Oklahoma City, October 19, 1973.

Not into the deep stuff, but so far the good stuff is good and the bad stuff is Bob Weir singing songs he shouldn't sing with brief interludes of appalling noise from Donna G.


Donna might be the biggest mistake the Dead ever made besides trying that high grade heroin, allegedly.


After listening to a few Dick's Picks from 73 and 74 and half-heartedly reading some debate about the World Famous Cornell Show from 1977, I'm listening to that again and I have to say that so far her singing really works here. It's very together. I feel obliged to note it because I'm such a frequent critic of her contributions, credit where it's due. I had never realized she was from the Muscle Shoals scene, such as it was, until I watched the Muscle Shoals movie.

But back to Oklahoma City . . . to be fair, it's not like Weir is covering himself in glory either.


Like the little girl with the curl on her forehead, when she’s good she’s good but when she’s bad…… :) Imo that can be said about the band as well. :o
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4866
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 31 May 2021, 19:33

Image
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18666
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 01 Jun 2021, 23:06

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4866
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 02 Jun 2021, 16:05

Image
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18666
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 02 Jun 2021, 16:57

I was starting to soften on The Dan, but this isn't doing much for me at all.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6991
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby robertff » 02 Jun 2021, 18:53

pcqgod wrote:I was starting to soften on The Dan, but this isn't doing much for me at all.





This is one of their best, if not their best, so it’s likely you’re never going to like them I guess.



.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18666
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 02 Jun 2021, 20:31

robertff wrote:
pcqgod wrote:I was starting to soften on The Dan, but this isn't doing much for me at all.





This is one of their best, if not their best, so it’s likely you’re never going to like them I guess.



.


I thought it got better towards the end. The last two tracks were strong, in particular. Of course, I also like the hits, so it wasn't a total loss for me. I was just expecting something more dense and jazzy and I was just hearing soft pop for the most part.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18666
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 02 Jun 2021, 20:32

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Six String
Posts: 21965
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Six String » 04 Jun 2021, 05:42

WP Junior Wells - Hoodoo Blues (Delmark)

NP B.B.King - The Early Years (Kent) 2 lp comp. great stuff.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

User avatar
Six String
Posts: 21965
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Six String » 04 Jun 2021, 05:42

pcqgod wrote:Image


oh yeah.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18666
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jun 2021, 16:38

Zep '75 soundboard. Includes a performance of "When the Levee Breaks"!

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44618
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby der Freiherr » 08 Jun 2021, 14:13

OHIO PLAYERS First three: Pain, Pleasure, Ecstasy
Edit: probably worth going through the trouble of posting the covers. :lol:
Image
Image
Image
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4866
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 Jun 2021, 14:20

Image

Disc 2 The B-Sides

Phenominal Patrick
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18666
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jun 2021, 20:00

Image
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32373
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Jun 2021, 15:06

Talking Heads - Remain in Light.
I’ve been listening to a LOT of TH recently.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Six String
Posts: 21965
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Six String » 14 Jun 2021, 00:53

I love Remain In Light. One of my fave’s by the “Heads.”

NP Jim Lauderdale - From Another World.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9407
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Jock » 14 Jun 2021, 11:10

Image
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4866
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 14 Jun 2021, 15:17

Image

Remembering Crud :(
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44618
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: NOW PLAYING.

Postby der Freiherr » 15 Jun 2021, 16:28

MEL BROWN The Wizard
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.