Zappa corner. bung it here.

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Zappa corner. bung it here.

Postby C » 20 Dec 2019, 11:44

St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:Currently listening to Hot Rats Sessions on Spotify. Very interesting listening to the outtakes moving towards the versions that you know.

I doubt I'd play it often or buy it but it's nice to hear.

Thanks lad.

I forgot that was coming out around now.

I will investigate

D
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 20 Dec 2019, 12:13

C wrote:
St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:Currently listening to Hot Rats Sessions on Spotify. Very interesting listening to the outtakes moving towards the versions that you know.

I doubt I'd play it often or buy it but it's nice to hear.

Thanks lad.

I forgot that was coming out around now.

I will investigate

D

Dad

I think you'll love it

The Lad
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: Top Three Frank Zappa

Postby soundchaser » 20 Dec 2019, 17:02

C wrote:
Joe and You Are...?

Nice albums

Yes, nice albums

I find the commentary on Joe’s Garage quite a slog after Pt.1. Gets on your nerves after a bit.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Dec 2019, 18:08

St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:
Dad

I think you'll love it

The Lad

Of course

Of course

Playing now lad

Dad

x
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Dec 2019, 18:13

C wrote:Playing now lad

Interestingly already the second track Piano Music Section 3 is pre-Aybe Sea from Burnt Weeny

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Dec 2019, 18:42

The Peaches Jams are superb!

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Dec 2019, 18:56

I have now fast forwarded to the Willie the Pimp stuff

Bloody hell so great to hear different versions of THAT guitar solo! [and they are different]

Playing a 15 minute version as I type - I am in heaven!

If push comes to shove probably my favourite track, by anybody, of all time!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Dec 2019, 20:54

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Dec 2019, 22:13

never/ever wrote:https://blog.discogs.com/en/looking-back-at-frank-zappas-hot-rats/

Nice Maarts

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Dec 2019, 14:12

Hey trolls, you know who you are: stick this up your arse!

Nettle Bed

Postby Nettle Bed » 21 Dec 2019, 14:30

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Dec 2019, 15:36

:roll: Ram it. Ram it. Ram it. Ram it up your poop shoot.

Nettle Bed

Postby Nettle Bed » 22 Dec 2019, 08:24

soundchaser wrote::roll: Ram it. Ram it. Ram it. Ram it up your poop shoot.

poop chute

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 22 Dec 2019, 12:04

:roll: Plastic People. Oh baby, now you're such a drag:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Oct 2020, 07:02

Just learned: the late Bob Stone, longtime chief engineer in Zappa's Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, wrote "Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves"...

[edit, 4/21 - see follow-up]
Last edited by Charlie O. on 04 Apr 2021, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Oct 2020, 12:04

Charlie O. wrote:Just learned: the late Bob Stone, longtime chief engineer in Zappa's Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, wrote "Gypsies, Tramps And Thieves"...

Wow - interesting

Thanks Chas

he must have made a few bob out of it!

British pop singer Cilla Black recorded the song for her 1973 album Day by Day with Cilla

Vicki Lawrence recorded it for her 1973 album The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia

Claude François recorded a French translation in 1972, with the title "Voleurs Bohémiens"

Rock band Inkubus Sukkubus recorded a version for their 2001 album Supernature

Nervous Gender recorded a parody, "Monsters" on their 1981 album Music from Hell

The song has featured in two episodes of The Simpsons: in the Season 2 episode "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish", a character named Richie Sakai sings the song at the karaoke room that the Simpson family visits; in the Season 14 episode "A Star Is Born Again", the song is used when a mechanical Cher doll is placed to distract the paparazzi in front of Ned Flanders' house

In 1995, Animaniacs episode 77 included a cartoon "This Pun for Hire", where Yakko, Wakko, and Dot play film noir detectives. When Yakko tells the new client to "Tell me your story, sister", Dot mistakenly thinks he is speaking to her and begins reciting the lyrics to "Gypsys, Tramps, and Thieves".

Scud Mountain Boys recorded a version for their 1995 album Pine Box.

It was one of several Cher songs included in "The Post-Modern Prometheus", from Season 5 of the American science fiction series The X-Files

In 1999, "Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves" was featured in "That '70's Episode" the 17th episode of Charmed; the song starts playing in the moment where Prue and Piper get into "Buddy's", the diner where their mom Patty used to work at.

In Thugz We Trust, a 2004 album by Thug Lordz and Killa Tay, samples it in the song "Go Hard in the Paint".

Traditional Irish band Dervish recorded the song for their 2007 album Travelling Show.

French hip hop group IAM sampled it in their 2007 song "Une Autre Brique Dans Le Mur".

Italian rap group Club Dogo sampled it in their 2008 song "Confessioni di una Banconota".

In the season 2 episode of Gilmore Girls titled "The Roadtrip to Harvard", Lorelai and Rory are staying in a bed and breakfast in New Hampshire and are hiding out in their room while a group of dentists staying there sing "Gypsys, Tramps, & Thieves". When Rory wants to talk about Lorelai calling off her wedding, Lorelai shouts "We are not going to have this fight in a flowery bedroom with dentists singing "Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves" in the background. It's too David Lynch."

English punk rock band Anti-Nowhere League covered the song on their 2006 compilation album Pig Iron – The Album.

In November 2014, a mixtape by a 21-year-old Kurt Cobain containing "Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves" was released online.

Nirvana recorded two versions of their cover twice on two demo tapes and sometimes played the song live due to an attendee at the GESSCO May 1 show (and possibly referencing earlier shows after playing "Raunchola" at the Community World Theater in 3/19/88) in the crowd screaming the word "Gypsy", possibly referring to the song to be played. Instead, a cover of "Bad Moon Rising" was played instead

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Nov 2020, 09:27

Thirty-six years after first seeing American Graffiti,* I finally watched the sequel, More American Graffiti (1979).

Why am I bringing this up in Zappa Corner? Because the very first thing in the movie - after the Universal Pictures ident and "A LUCASFILM PRODUCTION" - is the first six seconds of "Lumpy Gravy - Part Two":

"uh-BOWP-BAH-dee!"
    "Oh!"
    "There it went again... it's a little pig, with wings..."
    "YEEE!"

No idea what it's doing there, but it certainly got my attention!

* edit: forty-six years!
Last edited by Charlie O. on 26 Nov 2020, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Nov 2020, 09:58

Charlie O. wrote:Thirty-six years after first seeing American Graffiti, I finally watched the sequel, More American Graffiti (1979).

Why am I bringing this up in Zappa Corner? Because the very first thing in the movie - after the Universal Pictures ident and "A LUCASFILM PRODUCTION" - is the first six seconds of "Lumpy Gravy - Part Two":

"uh-BOWP-BAH-dee!"
    "Oh!"
    "There it went again... it's a little pig, with wings..."
    "YEEE!"

No idea what it's doing there, but it certainly got my attention!

Most excellent Chas

Most excellent

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Nov 2020, 20:08

If you get the chance to see the new Alex Winter-directed documentary, please do. It is superb.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Dec 2020, 22:42

Just like to echo what Charlie said above. Its fantastic. You could quibble about what and who isn't covered but then it covers a lot of ground. See it if you can.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Return to “Yakety Yak”