Zappa corner. bung it here.

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Zappa corner. bung it here.

Postby C » 27 May 2021, 08:02

mudshark wrote:I like 'Sheik' very much. It's probably his funniest studio album, which is why I'm a bit surprised Mr. C likes it. I figured him more of a Sleep Dirt kinda guy (also 1979).

I may be wrong but Sleep Dirt was released in '79 but recorded earlier

Notwithstanding Erik, they are two very different albums - I love them both.

I have no problem with humorous tracks per se there are many excellent ones but I prefer them when they're enveloped in some music!

Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 May 2021, 08:07

Neige wrote:
mudshark wrote:Maybe this is well known to many Zappatistas but I learned it today: when FZ got pushed of the stage during the MOI concert at the Rainbow in 1971 the band was playing I Want To Hold Your Hand, as an encore. Has anybody heard them play this??

I have now...

Here it is, an audience recording from Stockholm, a few days earlier.

Interesting - I haven't heard that before. Thanks

I couldn't make out who was singing lead vocals - Howard Kaylan...?

Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 27 May 2021, 08:26

C wrote:
Neige wrote:
mudshark wrote:Maybe this is well known to many Zappatistas but I learned it today: when FZ got pushed of the stage during the MOI concert at the Rainbow in 1971 the band was playing I Want To Hold Your Hand, as an encore. Has anybody heard them play this??

I have now...

Here it is, an audience recording from Stockholm, a few days earlier.

Interesting - I haven't heard that before. Thanks

I couldn't make out who was singing lead vocals - Howard Kaylan...?

Probably, or both Flo+Eddie.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 May 2021, 00:15

Thank you for that - I think.
Surprised he didn't get knocked off stage in Stockholm already.

Mr, C., abt Sheik/Sleep: I'm not sure what was performed/recorded first. Most of the songs on both albums appear on Lather which I think was a multi-year project. Indeed, 2 very different albums taken from the same project. And I only mentioned what I mentioned because I remember reading you in the past. I can't imagine you enjoying song like Bobby Brown, Jewish Princess or Broken Hearts Are For Assholes, which is perfectly alright of course. I can understand it. At the time I liked the 'shock-rock' theme. It was provocative. It fitted in the time, actually (Punk, The Tubes). I don't enjoy listening to songs like, especially, Assholes these days. Very crude. But Bobby Brown still makes me laugh, and I have to pogo like a whippersnapper after... One more time for the world!! (thump thump thump).
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 May 2021, 09:10

mudshark wrote: I can't imagine you enjoying song like Bobby Brown, Jewish Princess or Broken Hearts Are For Assholes.

No, I love them Erik.

I enjoy the humour tracks embedded in songs.

Ms Pinky from Zoot, Catholic Girls from Joe's, Conehead from You Are etc.

It's mainly the 'audience participation' type humour that I am not keen on.

Room Service comes to mind - renditions are normally far too long and the point is made, done and dusted in the first minute or so.

Panty Rap is another

I also really enjoy You Are What You Is and the humour stuff on that and many others.

To be honest the only two albums I don't get along with, in fact haven't got any time for, are Reuben & The Jets and Thing Fish - the rest I adore.

I rate Lumpy Gravy very highly and that, for me, works!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 May 2021, 15:23

Thank toy for that clarification.
Lumpy Gravy is a work of art. For me listening to it is a bit like reading Waiting For Godot. How do you rate Civilization Phase III? And habe you ever listened to the Lumpy Money Project/Object (I haven't)

I'm with you on the audience participation tracks.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 May 2021, 16:45

mudshark wrote:Thank toy for that clarification.
Lumpy Gravy is a work of art. For me listening to it is a bit like reading Waiting For Godot. How do you rate Civilization Phase III? And habe you ever listened to the Lumpy Money Project/Object (I haven't)

I adore Lumpy Gravy and have both CP3 and the Project

The latter two are very good CP3 is a bit non-essential regarding the off cuts contained from LG but the new stuff is good.

Both get the C 'thumbs up'

The posthumous album that is well worth having if you haven't Muddy is

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 May 2021, 19:53

Got it. Wonderful stuff. Since you like that one you need to get Little Dots, which are also Petit Wazoo Tour recordings. And Wazoo of course, I recommended that one to you way back when in 2007 :-)

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 May 2021, 19:53

Got it. Wonderful stuff. Since you like that one you need to get Little Dots, which are also Petit Wazoo Tour recordings. And Wazoo of course, I recommended that one to you way back when in 2007 :-)

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 May 2021, 20:50

mudshark wrote:Got it. Wonderful stuff. Since you like that one you need to get Little Dots, which are also Petit Wazoo Tour recordings. And Wazoo of course, I recommended that one to you way back when in 2007 :-)

I have them both! Great, robust stuff

Live essential albums from around that chronological release:

Buffalo
Philly '76
(with Bianca Odin – vocals, keyboards)
Hammersmith Odeon (I was there. Of course)
Chicago '78
Halloween '77

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 May 2021, 23:37

When you think about it:
Hot Rats in 69
The giant Flo & Eddie thing in 70/71
ends up in a wheelchair in 71
Wazoo/Waka in 72
"Roxy" band 73/74

This mofo wasn't fucking around.
Like Donna Summer almost sang: he worked hard for his money.

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 May 2021, 19:38

mudshark wrote:Wazoo/Waka in 72

This mofo wasn't fucking around.
Like Donna Summer almost sang: he worked hard for his money.

The Grand Wazoo '72 as well - about four months later!

[An incredible album]

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 May 2021, 19:41

Erik, talking of The Grand Wazoo- you may enjoy this.

Valentina is a friend of my son Zap's double bass teacher

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 29 May 2021, 22:30

I think you posted this clip before. Liked it then, like it now. Goes to show what an amazing composer the man was. Thanks to you and BCB I had myself a Zappa Saturday. Strictly Genteel, although I overcooked one of three curries.

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 May 2021, 17:12

mudshark wrote:I think you posted this clip before. Liked it then, like it now. Goes to show what an amazing composer the man was. Thanks to you and BCB I had myself a Zappa Saturday. Strictly Genteel, although I overcooked one of three curries.

Yes - sorry Muddy. I wasn't sure you had returned to these parts last time.

She has down a number of Zappa tunes including Peaches if one wishes to seek the out on YouTube

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 May 2021, 17:33

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 30 May 2021, 17:58

Excellent find! Must be one of the last performances of Ian Underwood and J-L Ponty. Soon Chester Thompson and Napoleon Murphy Brock join to form the actual Roxy band. But I think this pre-Roxy version is even better. It's great to see how much room these musicians get to do their own thing.

C
Robust

Postby C » 30 May 2021, 18:36

A great guitar solo 25:30