Band on the Run

Do talk back
mudshark

Band on the Run

Postby mudshark » 03 Feb 2024, 14:38

I have an allergy to virtually all things McCartney. It has grown worse over the years. I can honestly say that I've never owned or played an album on which this slightly above average bass player is not accompanied by you-know-who. His many musical sins to humanity since 1970 are unforgiveable, and there aren't many things that would make me happier than when he'd announce his irrevocable retirement. Then this popped up on some clickbait site:

The “underdubbed” mixes for Paul McCartney and Wings’ landmark "Band on the Run" album are, in a word, stupendous. Released to mark the LP’s 50th anniversary, the mixes make for some of the more intriguing, even revelatory commemorative recordings across McCartney’s legendary career.

The story of "Band on the Run" is interesting in and of itself. With Wings’ drummer and lead guitarist quitting the band on the eve of their trip to Nigeria to record the LP, McCartney, wife Linda, and Denny Laine forged ahead, producing arguably the finest of the former Beatles’ solo albums in the process. And there would be harrowing moments along the way as the bandmates battled the elements, while also triumphing over a knife-wielding robber and, at one point, the ire of local Nigerian musicians, who feared that McCartney and company were out to steal their indigenous sounds.
When it was originally released in December 1973, "Band on the Run" emerged as one of the 1970s’ genuine blockbusters. With our unquenchable fascination for experiencing demos and outtakes associated with classic albums, the "Band on the Run" underdubbed mixes offer a welcome variation for music aficionados. As McCartney explains, “This is 'Band on the Run' in a way you’ve never heard before. When you are making a song and putting on additional parts, like an extra guitar, that’s an overdub. Well, this version of the album is the opposite, underdubbed.”

True to its creator’s words, the "Band on the Run"underdubbed mixes capture the tracks as they were originally created by engineer Geoff Emerick in October 1973. Without benefit of additional vocal and instrumental overdubs — including Tony Visconti’s orchestration — the tracks take on the live feel of the recording studio. Quite suddenly, the vocals and the basic instrumentation seem more up front, more pronounced in their underdubbed manifestations.

Take the hit single “Jet,” for example. With nary an overdub in earshot, the song takes on the raw sheen of its rock ‘n’ roll origins. Reduced to the sound of a trio — with McCartney on lead vocals and bass, Laine on guitar and Linda on keyboards — the new "Band on the Run" mixes seem simultaneously more alive and less polished, teetering in their various states of unfinishedness.
UNQUOTE

Although this is probably more an add than a review, it sounds intriguing. This 50-anniversary album was released yesterday, the same day that King William-Alexander of the Kingdom of the Netherlands got married to the Argentinian daughter of a minister that served under Videla. Coincidence? I don't think so... What do you reckon, should I fork out $35.98 for the new & improved half-speed (?) vinyl version of what is allegedly one of McCartney's finest moments? I'm tempted, but still slightly underdubbed.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Re: Band on the Run

Postby Six String » 03 Feb 2024, 14:46

I don’t have quite the disdain towards Macca as you but the last albums I bought by him are Venus And Mars and Wings Over America. I haven’t been interested in his music since then. As much as I loved the Beatles growing up, Paul alone is less interesting.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 03 Feb 2024, 15:11

You should definitely get it , it's a brilliant album, underdubbed or overdubbed or sidedubbed !

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 03 Feb 2024, 17:24

“slightly above average bass player”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Feb 2024, 19:09

I like me a fair bit of McCartney, but when I first saw the press release about the underdubbed mixes, and heard the one for the title track, I wondered who besides Quaco and loveless would actually listen to them more than once.

robertff

Postby robertff » 03 Feb 2024, 19:14

I’m not sure Erik, I’m a fan of McCartney, probably got all of his albums but I’m not really a fan of messing about with the original release too much, if you know what I mean.

The release of the Beatles’ ‘Let It Be Naked’ was a triumph in my reckoning because it got rid of all of the Phil Spector additions and created a much better track listing.

The release of the double Red Rose Speedway (as it was originally intended) again was a triumph in my reckoning but this version of Band on the Run leads me to think what’s the point, it wasn’t how McCartney wanted it to be released was it? So why release it unless it’s a money spinner?

I suppose if it dropped dramatically in price I might be tempted to buy it just out of curiosity but apart from that Beatles’ Let It Be album I don’t think there’s been a record yet that has been tampered with sounds wise, to the extent of this BotR album, that I would play in place of the original. I my mind they’re a curiosity to be played once before returning to the original.

Think Beatles’ Anthology does anyone play them in preference to the proper albums and if you’re not keen on McCartney why the sudden interest - just curious like?

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 03 Feb 2024, 21:12

I'm thinking along similar lines, Rob. I really enoy(ed) Let It Be without the Spector bells & whistles. So I'm thinking maybe a similar treatment could create a half-decent McCartney solo album. I mean, there's gotta be a first for everything, right? I checked the track list (no pre-listen, that would be cheating): I know the title song (like it), Jet (dislike it) and Let Me Roll It (OK-ish only, mainly because you better let me roll it, believe me). I'm assuming Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five is the long-awaited sequel to When I'm Sixty-Four. Anyway, I've gone out on a limb and ordered me a copy. I can imagine the McCartney household currently scrambling to find some cardboard paper and tape for packaging, with Paul, in typical Del Boy style, saying: "quickly Rodders, before he changes his mind". I do Spotify, but not a lot. I like to support the artists, even those that are worth more than North Macedonia.

robertff

Postby robertff » 04 Feb 2024, 14:16

mudshark wrote:I'm thinking along similar lines, Rob. I really enoy(ed) Let It Be without the Spector bells & whistles. So I'm thinking maybe a similar treatment could create a half-decent McCartney solo album. I mean, there's gotta be a first for everything, right? I checked the track list (no pre-listen, that would be cheating): I know the title song (like it), Jet (dislike it) and Let Me Roll It (OK-ish only, mainly because you better let me roll it, believe me). I'm assuming Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five is the long-awaited sequel to When I'm Sixty-Four. Anyway, I've gone out on a limb and ordered me a copy. I can imagine the McCartney household currently scrambling to find some cardboard paper and tape for packaging, with Paul, in typical Del Boy style, saying: "quickly Rodders, before he changes his mind". I do Spotify, but not a lot. I like to support the artists, even those that are worth more than North Macedonia.

I’ll be interested to hear what you think about this ‘underdubbed’ album but how can you compare it to what the original sounds like if you haven’t heard it?

Curious

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Feb 2024, 15:24

Yes, I'll do that. Good idea.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Feb 2024, 00:17

The release I read about is yet another reissue of the original album with the underdub mixes added as bait for the Maccaphiles…

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Feb 2024, 01:17

well, sounds like they got me hook, line and sinker. Pray I don't like it. Before you know I'm going to yearn for Mull of Kintyre without the bagpipes.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Feb 2024, 00:05

I listened to it ~ it just sounds unfinished.
In short, shit
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Feb 2024, 00:06

mudshark wrote:Before you know I'm going to yearn for Mull of Kintyre without the bagpipes.

Has everybody not been doing that for 45 years?
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 11 Feb 2024, 19:32

Hugh wrote:“slightly above average bass player”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite.

Funnily enough, Lennon's Jealous Guy popped up on Spotify today and I couldn't help think it would have been greatly improved by having Macca play bass on it.

I can't imagine this new version of Band on the Run being worth the bother. I don't think he's made a single great album since the Beatles though this may be the closest. He and Lennon really should have stuck together.
Bugger off.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 12 Feb 2024, 19:46

It is an interesting listen.

But like so many of these things, it just makes me want to hear the original album.

I prefer the next one, Venus And Mars, anyway. And I really like Wings Over America.

It is chock full of tunes from both albums.

And it also has some Beatles tunes. Played much better than the Beatles' recorded versions.

:lol: OK that last one was a canard, but on the whole it is a nice seventies relic.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Return to “Yakety Yak”