REAP CORNER

Do talk back
robertff

Re: REAP CORNER

Postby robertff » 13 Oct 2021, 17:19

C wrote:

NP

Not as good as the first but robust nonetheless

Yes I like this too and you are right C, great cover design.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Oct 2021, 19:38

It’s great how sometimes music unexpectedly takes you back - probably 45 years for me in this case - to the first time one heard particular albums. It came to mind that the 2 tracks which had most impact for me were Epping Forest and Harold The Barrel. I could almost feel myself fleetingly back in those days, reading the lyrics, sitting on my bed.... probably most people’s least favourite tracks but they were the ones that helped me on the way on the great adventure.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Oct 2021, 20:56

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Original Album Classics
Picked up one those little remastered CD boxes of multiple albums. This time of Mahavishnu Orchestra. The only ones I knew were The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire, and while those two are certainly the best (to me, anyway), I found enough of interest on Between Nothingness and Eternity, Apocalypse, and Visions of the Emerald Beyond to make the investment worthwhile. Currently a little over $22 on Amazon.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 14 Oct 2021, 22:25

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Original Album Classics
Picked up one those little remastered CD boxes of multiple albums. This time of Mahavishnu Orchestra. The only ones I knew were The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds of Fire, and while those two are certainly the best (to me, anyway), I found enough of interest on Between Nothingness and Eternity, Apocalypse, and Visions of the Emerald Beyond to make the investment worthwhile. Currently a little over $22 on Amazon.

Fabulous band, but I'm usually mentally exhausted by the time an album has finished. So intense, and so fucking fast ! :)The aural equivalent of the Iron Man challenge
Last edited by ChrisB on 14 Oct 2021, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 14 Oct 2021, 22:26

Between Nothingness etc. is the live album, right? If so, I really liked that one at the. Haven't heard it since I bought Rocket To Russia back in '77. Maybe I should try it again. Will do so on Qobuz to be on the safe side. I remember now I particularly liked the violin in their music.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Oct 2021, 23:35

The Lost Trident Sessions is also well worth having, would have been the third album but personality differences had reared their ugly head.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 10:12

John aka Josh wrote:The Lost Trident Sessions is also well worth having, would have been the third album but personality differences had reared their ugly head.

I was just going to post exactly this!

Better than the 'official' third

The later ones with my man Jean-Luc were not as good

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 10:15

NP

Tony Blair: 'If I could sing like Paul Rodgers I wouldn't have gone in to politics'

What a bunch of talent - Koss, the seventeen year old Andy on bass/piano/writing and Simon on tubs

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Oct 2021, 11:59

C wrote:NP

Tony Blair: 'If I could sing like Paul Rodgers I wouldn't have gone in to politics'

What a bunch of talent - Koss, the seventeen year old Andy on bass/piano/writing and Simon on tubs

Shame he couldn’t C. just think how things might have been different. What a great band though, would have filed under progressive at the time I think.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 15:38

robertff wrote:

Shame he couldn’t C. just think how things might have been different. What a great band though [Free], would have filed under progressive at the time I think.

:D

Definitely 'progressive'

Never ever prog

Last edited by C on 15 Oct 2021, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 17:21

NP

This always goes down well when I'm in the mood

I've had it since school days....!

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Oct 2021, 19:02

C wrote:NP

This always goes down well when I'm in the mood

I've had it since school days....!

‘Tis a good album, have a soft spot for their first few albums, particularly liked Getting To The Point, absolutely one of the worst covers ever though. Why do bands ruin their chances by having terrible covers?

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Oct 2021, 19:38

NP

Haven’t played TYA for some time. In the late 60s they were one of the ‘must see’ bands, sadly I didn’t get the chance. Wasn’t particularly keen on their albums following Ssssh at the time but have since got to like them.

I can remember hearing their debut for the first time. I was in the Common Room at my boarding school and my friend had bought it during the holidays and brought it back to school to play. Played it on one of those Dansette players, thought it sounded great.

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 20:46

robertff wrote:NP

This is a very good album

I would have preferred it without the closing live track though - replete with badly overdubbed organ!

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 20:46

robertff wrote:
I can remember hearing their debut for the first time. I was in the Common Room at my boarding school and my friend had bought it during the holidays and brought it back to school to play. Played it on one of those Dansette players, thought it sounded great.

those were the days...!

Nice story

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Oct 2021, 04:00

Eloy - Ocean 1977
Pretty good space rock (I'm trying to use Hightea's prog categories), but I thought it would be better. The guy's German accent kinda bugs as well. Cool LP cover though.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Oct 2021, 14:03

NP

The lad from Any Trouble

I haven't played this for possibly 30 years!

Nice.

Very nice

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Oct 2021, 16:57

WP

Always preferred their first three studio albums.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Oct 2021, 18:40

robertff wrote:WP

Always preferred their first three studio albums.

I would extend that to five Cricklewood Green and Watt are excellent

The one you highlight Rob is not so good...

However, this is excellent

NP

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Oct 2021, 17:06

WP

Really disappointed in this when it first came out, first side pretty good, side two not so.

Fabulous cover design. Vocals make it sound like Caravan.

Nice enough album, just a little samey.

NP

ELO - glorious album - a favourite.

Return to “Yakety Yak”