The Prog Premier League - The Final League Table

Do talk back
robertff

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 16 Oct 2021, 12:17

Lord Rother wrote:These discussions make my head hurt. :lol:

Don't think I've had your vote in for the 6-10 placings Lord - it's not too late.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Oct 2021, 12:52

To be honest, I don’t profess to have the knowledge to place bands in order of influence and importance. Who came first, who is really prog, who influenced who etc. etc. just doesn’t really occur to me.

Even if I simply chucked anything modern from my thinking it would only come down to which bands I like the most. Any other way of thinking just doesn’t work for me. It’s how I’m wired I guess!

Not saying I am not interested in the outcome of the polls though!

robertff

Re: The Prog Premier League - 6-10 placings now in

Postby robertff » 16 Oct 2021, 16:04

The Prog Premier League - placings 6-10 as voted by BCB

So here are the next 5 placings, 10 people voted and two bands drew for 6th place.

6.= Gentle Giant 25 points
6.= VDGG 25 points
8. ELP 20 points
9. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson 17 points
10. Rush 14 points

Other acts voted for, although not in any kind of order, were:

Focus
Mike Oldfield
Caravan
Marillion
PFM
Zappa
Gong
Strawbs
Hawkwind
Camel
Moody Blues
Renaissance

So, the top 10 of the Prog Premier League now looks like this:

1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. King Cfrimson
4. Pink Floyd
5. Jethro Tull
6.= Gentle Giant
6.= VDGG
8. ELP
9. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson
10. Rush

So, that's the top ten, want to keep going to establish the 20 in the Prog Premier League?

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Oct 2021, 16:16

robertff wrote:
So, the top 10 of the Prog Premier League now looks like this:

1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. King Cfrimson
4. Pink Floyd
5. Jethro Tull
6.= Gentle Giant
6.= VDGG
8. ELP
9. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson
10. Rush

So, that's the top ten, want to keep going to establish the 20 in the Prog Premier League?

Seems reasonable with one glaring exception.

I'm game to carry on but it may just be a case of reordering those in your bargain bin list

DarknessFish wrote:Rother's picture quiz is cool, but I'm losing the will when you end up trying to guess albums by The Pineapple Thief.

John_K wrote:In my 50s I've become an Apprentice Prog Goon, starting with the big-hitters, and working my way to BBT...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Oct 2021, 16:29

Some thoughts:

No Canterbury

Van der Graaf almost made the top five, but I'm having a hard time getting any traction on that thread. Hmmmm.....

Probably should pick me up some Porcupine Tree then.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

my point is that wilson has sold his arse cheaply. it's embarrassing to read.

-skope

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Oct 2021, 16:54

Matt Wilson wrote:Some thoughts:

No Canterbury

Van der Graaf almost made the top five, but I'm having a hard time getting any traction on that thread. Hmmmm.....

Probably should pick me up some Porcupine Tree then.

You should do Matt and Steven Wilson solo. You probably have Radiohead already I guess, they might feature in the next ten if we do that.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 16 Oct 2021, 17:49

Steven Wilson solo - try Hand.Cannot.Erase and The Raven That Refused To Sing.
Porcupine Tree - try In Absentia and Signify.
[indistinct chatter]

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 16 Oct 2021, 17:51

I think it’s a reasonable top 10. I think that’s as far as I’m interested in going.

I’m trying to think who Cs glaring exception is... probably Quatermass or Ginger Baker Air Force.
[indistinct chatter]

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 16 Oct 2021, 18:48

Neil Jung wrote:I think it’s a reasonable top 10. I think that’s as far as I’m interested in going.

I’m trying to think who Cs glaring exception is... probably Quatermass or Ginger Baker Air Force.

Doh!

Is it too late to change one's vote at this very late stage in proceedings?

:lol:
'If their work is satisfying people don't need leisure in the old-fashioned sense. No one ever asks what Newton or Darwin did to relax, or how Bach spent his weekends' - J G Ballard

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 16 Oct 2021, 18:48

I bet Caravan, btw.

That lot or Tangerine Dream.
'If their work is satisfying people don't need leisure in the old-fashioned sense. No one ever asks what Newton or Darwin did to relax, or how Bach spent his weekends' - J G Ballard

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Oct 2021, 20:57

I voted for Caravan and Marillion.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

-skope

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 Oct 2021, 21:28

I think Caravan deserves to be in there, probably over ELP and definitely over Rush which is a band I cannot stand, just like Marillion.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 16 Oct 2021, 22:56

I, too, voted for Caravan, although I'm not a huge fan. Rush? Let's go over old ground ..... they're not prog :D

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Oct 2021, 00:33

2112, Hemispheres, and A Farewell to Kings are nothing if not prog.

-skope

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Oct 2021, 02:54

Wow no votes for soft machine
well I got three in

"Academic Kevin Holm-Hudson argues that "progressive rock is a style far more diverse than what is heard from its mainstream groups and what is implied by unsympathetic critics ... [one may] wonder where progressive rock 'ends' and becomes psychedelia, free jazz, experimental art music, or heavy metal."

"Hegarty and Halliwell credit Radiohead for creating "a new wave of progressiveness", explaining that "Radiohead's reintegration of rock into a post-progressive context ... they did not need to refer back to the sounds or styles of 1970s prog rock in order to make authentic progressive rock."

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Oct 2021, 08:49

Don't know about everyone else but I found the 6 -10 placings much harder than the first 5, the reason being I know the music of most of those I considered to be in the top 5 much better than the next 5. Anyone else feel the same?

So do you want to carry on, if so, how about doing the final 10 placings all in one go? This would then give us our Premier Prog League for 2021, we could start again next year. :D

Let me know if you want to carry on.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 17 Oct 2021, 10:58

Matt Wilson wrote:2112, Hemispheres, and A Farewell to Kings are nothing if not prog.

An early vote for 'nothing, not prog' from me, if adjudicators will please take note.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 17 Oct 2021, 11:03

robertff wrote:So do you want to carry on, if so, how about doing the final 10 placings all in one go? This would then give us our Premier Prog League for 2021, we could start again next year. :D

Let me know if you want to carry on.

robertff wrote:
Other acts voted for, although not in any kind of order, were:

Focus
Mike Oldfield
Caravan
Marillion
PFM
Zappa
Gong
Strawbs
Hawkwind
Camel
Moody Blues
Renaissance

Like twelve bald acts arguing over a mellotron. :lol:

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 17 Oct 2021, 11:19

I am game if others are. Not sure about voter turnout, however.

If we do, might there be funds available to prepare and distribute commemorative awards to the winners?

Caravan, for instance, are currently on tour, and I can easily imagine myself joining the current line up onstage for the encore at the 450-capacity Fleece in Bristol, explaining to the audience that I am there in my official capacity as member of the Prog Illuminati and Doyen to present the band with their award recognising their 11-20 placing in the Prog Premier League, as voted by the members of Black Cat Bone, the surviving message board of Mojo magazine readers.

One foresees a tearful Pye Hastings accepting the award to warm applause, and explaining gratefully that although the band never achieved very much in the way of sales or chart placings, the belated recognition of a BCB award makes up for this slight in so many ways. He might also mention that their merchandise stall has available replicas of the award for sale, as well as copies of the band's recently released album It's None Of Your Business and a selection of live offerings from recent tours.

They would then launch into a spirited rendition of (hopefully) something from one of their first three albums.

All this assuming they actually do win a placing in the second ten, of course.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Oct 2021, 11:52

LMG wrote:I am game if others are. Not sure about voter turnout, however.

If we do, might there be funds available to prepare and distribute commemorative awards to the winners?

Caravan, for instance, are currently on tour, and I can easily imagine myself joining the current line up onstage for the encore at the 450-capacity Fleece in Bristol, explaining to the audience that I am there in my official capacity as member of the Prog Illuminati and Doyen to present the band with their award recognising their 11-20 placing in the Prog Premier League, as voted by the members of Black Cat Bone, the surviving message board of Mojo magazine readers.

One foresees a tearful Pye Hastings accepting the award to warm applause, and explaining gratefully that although the band never achieved very much in the way of sales or chart placings, the belated recognition of a BCB award makes up for this slight in so many ways. He might also mention that their merchandise stall has available replicas of the award for sale, as well as copies of the band's recently released album It's None Of Your Business and a selection of live offerings from recent tours.

They would then launch into a spirited rendition of (hopefully) something from one of their first three albums.

All this assuming they actually do win a placing in the second ten, of course.

:lol:

DarknessFish wrote:Rother's picture quiz is cool, but I'm losing the will when you end up trying to guess albums by The Pineapple Thief.

John_K wrote:In my 50s I've become an Apprentice Prog Goon, starting with the big-hitters, and working my way to BBT...