Top 30 Bands of All Time

Do talk back
User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6986
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby robertff » 08 May 2021, 07:39

slightbreeze wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
C wrote:
What.....??!!




:o


Emerson cited weak vocals as one of the reasons he left the band.

True, Jackson is an "acquired" taste, but Emerson's new vocalist, Greg Lake, is adequate at best...as with all the Crimson vocalists.




Lake's voice was the best Crimson ever got, all the rest were adequate if that. Emerson knew what he was doing with Lake and is one of the reasons why they became huge. Without Lake as a decent vocalist I doubt they would have achieved the megastardom they did.


.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9406
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Jock » 08 May 2021, 11:05

robertff wrote:Okay here goes, these are the bands/acts that have meant the most to me since I became interested in popular music and for the longest possible time, in no particular order.

Stones
Beatles
Who
Kinks
Small Faces
Faces
Rod Stewart
Traffic
John Mayall/Bluebreakers
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry
Yes
Jethro Tull
David Bowie
Captain Beeefheart
Beach Boys
ELO
Tom Petty/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Bryds
Jimi Hendrix
Fairport Convention (first 5 in particular)
CSN/CSN&Y
Doors
Eagles
Steve Miller
Paul McCartney
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
U2


Okay, cheated a bit with Roxy/Ferry but I don't care.

For many of these, if not all, I have all of their recorded albums and would always want to have them. There are many others though that could have been there: Free, Family, REM, Cure, Yardbirds, Lovin' Spoonful, Neil Young, VU to name just a few. There are also many great bands from later decades that might have slipped in there but they simply haven't meant as much to me and just haven't clicked in the way that the ones above have. From the lists of others posted above I might easily have chosen some of the same bands/artists but avoided the temptation, this is my true list of favourites. Curiously, a list of my very favourite albums might comprise a very different selection of artists.


.

I just about don't need a list. Very close to mine :)
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6986
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby robertff » 08 May 2021, 11:41

Jock wrote:
robertff wrote:Okay here goes, these are the bands/acts that have meant the most to me since I became interested in popular music and for the longest possible time, in no particular order.

Stones
Beatles
Who
Kinks
Small Faces
Faces
Rod Stewart
Traffic
John Mayall/Bluebreakers
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry
Yes
Jethro Tull
David Bowie
Captain Beeefheart
Beach Boys
ELO
Tom Petty/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Bryds
Jimi Hendrix
Fairport Convention (first 5 in particular)
CSN/CSN&Y
Doors
Eagles
Steve Miller
Paul McCartney
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
U2


Okay, cheated a bit with Roxy/Ferry but I don't care.

For many of these, if not all, I have all of their recorded albums and would always want to have them. There are many others though that could have been there: Free, Family, REM, Cure, Yardbirds, Lovin' Spoonful, Neil Young, VU to name just a few. There are also many great bands from later decades that might have slipped in there but they simply haven't meant as much to me and just haven't clicked in the way that the ones above have. From the lists of others posted above I might easily have chosen some of the same bands/artists but avoided the temptation, this is my true list of favourites. Curiously, a list of my very favourite albums might comprise a very different selection of artists.


.

I just about don't need a list. Very close to mine :)




What would be different?



.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9406
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Jock » 08 May 2021, 11:44

robertff wrote:
Jock wrote:
robertff wrote:Okay here goes, these are the bands/acts that have meant the most to me since I became interested in popular music and for the longest possible time, in no particular order.

Stones
Beatles
Who
Kinks
Small Faces
Faces
Rod Stewart
Traffic
John Mayall/Bluebreakers
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry
Yes
Jethro Tull
David Bowie
Captain Beeefheart
Beach Boys
ELO
Tom Petty/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Bryds
Jimi Hendrix
Fairport Convention (first 5 in particular)
CSN/CSN&Y
Doors
Eagles
Steve Miller
Paul McCartney
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
U2


Okay, cheated a bit with Roxy/Ferry but I don't care.

For many of these, if not all, I have all of their recorded albums and would always want to have them. There are many others though that could have been there: Free, Family, REM, Cure, Yardbirds, Lovin' Spoonful, Neil Young, VU to name just a few. There are also many great bands from later decades that might have slipped in there but they simply haven't meant as much to me and just haven't clicked in the way that the ones above have. From the lists of others posted above I might easily have chosen some of the same bands/artists but avoided the temptation, this is my true list of favourites. Curiously, a list of my very favourite albums might comprise a very different selection of artists.


.

I just about don't need a list. Very close to mine :)




What would be different?



.

No Traffic, John Mayall, Beefheart, Hendrix, Eagles, Steve Miller and Radiohead, although I have albums by them all. Still thinking about what i'd add.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6986
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby robertff » 08 May 2021, 11:51

Jock wrote:
robertff wrote:
Jock wrote:I just about don't need a list. Very close to mine :)




What would be different?



.

No Traffic, John Mayall, Beefheart, Hendrix, Eagles, Steve Miller and Radiohead, although I have albums by them all. Still thinking about what i'd add.





That makes it different enough, come on Jock show your hand. :D



.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9406
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Jock » 08 May 2021, 11:54

robertff wrote:
Jock wrote:
robertff wrote:


What would be different?



.

No Traffic, John Mayall, Beefheart, Hendrix, Eagles, Steve Miller and Radiohead, although I have albums by them all. Still thinking about what i'd add.





That makes it different enough, come on Jock show your hand. :D



.

Thinking about it now :lol: :lol:
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 63448
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby C » 08 May 2021, 12:05

robertff wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
Emerson cited weak vocals as one of the reasons he left the band.

True, Jackson is an "acquired" taste, but Emerson's new vocalist, Greg Lake, is adequate at best...as with all the Crimson vocalists.




Lake's voice was the best Crimson ever got, all the rest were adequate if that. Emerson knew what he was doing with Lake and is one of the reasons why they became huge. Without Lake as a decent vocalist I doubt they would have achieved the megastardom they did.


.


Agreed.

I have nothing against ELP - I bought their first few albums the day they came out.

Brain Salad was a step too far and I never purchased that.

I still play four Nice albums regularly

I played the first ELP album about ten years ago- the others longer



.
Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9406
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Jock » 08 May 2021, 12:17

Alphabetically
Aztec Camera/Roddy Frame ( They were always a one man band)
The Beatles
David Bowie
Buzzcocks
The Byrds
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Bob Dylan
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Al Green
The Jam
Jethro Tull
Elton John
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
Paul McCartney
Van Morrison
REM
Otis Redding
Rolling Stones
Roxy Music
Small Faces
The Smiths
Bruce Springsteen
Talking Heads
The Triffids
U2
Paul Weller
The Who
Neil Young

Honourable mentions - James Brown, Sharon Jones, Yes , Teenage Fanclub, Echo and The Bunnymen and Prince
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6986
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby robertff » 08 May 2021, 13:34

Jock wrote:Alphabetically
Aztec Camera/Roddy Frame ( They were always a one man band)
The Beatles
David Bowie
Buzzcocks
The Byrds
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Bob Dylan
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Al Green
The Jam
Jethro Tull
Elton John
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
Paul McCartney
Van Morrison
REM
Otis Redding
Rolling Stones
Roxy Music
Small Faces
The Smiths
Bruce Springsteen
Talking Heads
The Triffids
U2
Paul Weller
The Who
Neil Young

Honourable mentions - James Brown, Sharon Jones, Yes , Teenage Fanclub, Echo and The Bunnymen and Prince



There you go - some similarities although at least 50% plus different.

Got albums by every one that is different to my list, (even Aztec Camera which surprised me), but the only one that would come close to getting on my list would be Neil Young.


.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9406
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Jock » 08 May 2021, 13:41

robertff wrote:
Jock wrote:Alphabetically
Aztec Camera/Roddy Frame ( They were always a one man band)
The Beatles
David Bowie
Buzzcocks
The Byrds
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Bob Dylan
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Al Green
The Jam
Jethro Tull
Elton John
The Kinks
Led Zeppelin
Paul McCartney
Van Morrison
REM
Otis Redding
Rolling Stones
Roxy Music
Small Faces
The Smiths
Bruce Springsteen
Talking Heads
The Triffids
U2
Paul Weller
The Who
Neil Young

Honourable mentions - James Brown, Sharon Jones, Yes , Teenage Fanclub, Echo and The Bunnymen and Prince



There you go - some similarities although at least 50% plus different.

Got albums by every one that is different to my list, (even Aztec Camera which surprised me), but the only one that would come close to getting on my list would be Neil Young.


.

Aye. It really is quite different
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24300
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Deebank » 08 May 2021, 15:51

Hightea wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Hightea wrote:interesting list!


Cheers... I think.


Actually its a little of both. :lol:

Unknown these two unknowns to me
Felt/Denim/GKM
Gwenno

the rest

Yummy
JD/NO
Echo & the Bunnymen
Super Furry Animals
Gryff Rhys
The Shins
Kate Bush
My Bloody Valentine
Mazzy Star
REM
Radiohead
Suede
Talking Heads
The Velvet Underground
XTC
The Police
Bowie
Prince

Okay
The Doors
Boards Of Canada
Underworld -
Sugar


No :lol:
The Ramones
Blue Oyster Cult
Rush
AC/DC

In regards to IQ

Lab coat claptrap Yes - IQ NEARfest - I'm a fan!
Image


Well I suppose it’s better than his ‘Poundshop Gabriel’ schtik of yore.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3604
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Mike Boom » 08 May 2021, 19:28

How about 31 ?

The Kinks
Beatles
Jethro Tull
XTC
The Smiths
Roxy Music
Genesis
T Rex
Big Star
Yes
Led Zeppelin
Fleetwood Mac
Cocteau Twins
Ride
The Byrds
Beach Boys
Small Faces
Velvet Underground
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Steely Dan
Prince
The Who
My Bloody Valentine
New Order
REM
Fairport Convention
Echo and the Bunnymen
Steeleye Span
Television
Cheap Trick

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 63448
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby C » 09 May 2021, 11:32

Mike Boom wrote:How about 31 ?

The Kinks
Beatles
Jethro Tull
XTC
The Smiths
Roxy Music
Genesis
T Rex
Big Star
Yes
Led Zeppelin
Fleetwood Mac
Cocteau Twins
Ride
The Byrds
Beach Boys
Small Faces
Velvet Underground
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Steely Dan
Prince
The Who
My Bloody Valentine
New Order
REM
Fairport Convention
Echo and the Bunnymen
Steeleye Span
Television
Cheap Trick


Ride were great band weren't they?

Didn't I read ages ago that MBV were releasing a new album......?




.
Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3604
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Mike Boom » 09 May 2021, 16:04

C wrote:Ride were great band weren't they?

Didn't I read ages ago that MBV were releasing a new album......?



They certainly are , reformed and released 2 albums, which are both great.

Two by the end of the year according to Shields.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2743
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Jumper K » 09 May 2021, 17:19

C wrote:
Jumper K wrote:RFTC
Leatherface
New Bomb Turks
The Saints
The Damned
Hellacopters
Massive Attack
Billy Woods
Merle Haggard
Aretha
Boz Scaggs
Mud City Manglers
Bad Brains
Toots
Almond
Dalek
Wanda
PE
Screaming Trees
Sweet
Hampton Hawes
The Bronx
Redskins
Siouxsie
D.A.F.
Cypress Hill
Jerry Lee
Slave
Converge
Lift To Experience


We asked for your top 30 bands - not a bloody shopping list....



.

Got all the Turks albums C? They are right up your strasse.

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 38322
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 09 May 2021, 17:56

Jumper K wrote:
Lift To Experience



One overwhelmingly great album and a not so great solo album.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

Six String
Posts: 21945
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Six String » 09 May 2021, 19:47

C wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
C wrote:
What.....??!!




:o


Emerson cited weak vocals as one of the reasons he left the band.


What the bloody hell did Keith know....?!





.


He knew he couldn’t sing! :)
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2743
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby Jumper K » 09 May 2021, 20:13

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Jumper K wrote:
Lift To Experience



One overwhelmingly great album and a not so great solo album.

Not counting the solo records. Just the one LTE. It’s that good.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 63448
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby C » 09 May 2021, 20:33

Mike Boom wrote:
C wrote:Ride were great band weren't they?

Didn't I read ages ago that MBV were releasing a new album......?



They certainly are , reformed and released 2 albums, which are both great.

Two by the end of the year according to Shields.


Thanks - I didn't know that

I can see m b v from 2013.....

Original members too by the looks of it




.
Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18660
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Top 30 Bands of All Time

Postby pcqgod » 09 May 2021, 23:59

Sea of Tranquility dude described his list as "bands that meant the most to me" or words to that effect, and didn't list any solo artists. In that spirit...

The Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
The Pretty Things
The Kinks
The Who
The Sweet
Sonic Youth
King Crimson
The Byrds
The Yardbirds
Big Star
UFO
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Buzzcocks
Young Fresh Fellows
Buck Owens and the Buckaroos
Rush
Cheap Trick
David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars
Guided by Voices
Prince and the Revolution
The Ventures
Bauhaus
Bongwater
Os Mutantes
Amon Duul II
The Barracudas
The Hard-Ons
The Vapors

EDIT: Definitely should have also listed Squeeze, XTC and Split Enz, but Sea of Tranquility dude also actually listed at least 40 bands, so I'm still within my limit!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?