Are violent video games responsible?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Are violent video games responsible?

Postby Jimbo » 08 Aug 2019, 00:58

Or partly responsible for these mass - and even gangster-style murders?

I'm barely dexterous enough to play online Scrabble let alone Car Jack 3, or whatever, but I am reading in the wake of the El Paso and Dayton shootings that the shooters' politics aside, violent video games could be at or near the root of these killings. Of course there is the argument that a million people play these games and only a very few actually kill people but still, there are some bloody and realistic depictions of violence in those games that say to me something is amiss in our culture.

FYI In Chicago on the same weekend

By Monday morning, 55 people had been shot across the city, seven of them fatally. The victims ranged from 5 to 56 years old, and the shootings stretched from Rogers Park on the North Side to West Pullman on the Far South Side. Nearly all the gun violence happened on the West and South sides.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Are violent video games responsible?

Postby Still Baron » 08 Aug 2019, 03:12

No.

But they are symptoms of a ridiculous and grotesque culture.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Aug 2019, 04:30

There are plenty of fans of violent video games in Japan yet very little violence there. It's the number of and availability of guns in this country that has got us where we are.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2019, 08:21

Six String wrote:There are plenty of fans of violent video games in Japan yet very little violence there. It's the number of and availability of guns in this country that has got us where we are.

And the Second Amendment, of course.
“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 Aug 2019, 10:07

Jimbo wrote:Or partly responsible for these mass - and even gangster-style murders?

I'm barely dexterous enough to play online Scrabble let alone Car Jack 3, or whatever, but I am reading in the wake of the El Paso and Dayton shootings that the shooters' politics aside, violent video games could be at or near the root of these killings. Of course there is the argument that a million people play these games and only a very few actually kill people but still, there are some bloody and realistic depictions of violence in those games that say to me something is amiss in our culture.

FYI In Chicago on the same weekend

By Monday morning, 55 people had been shot across the city, seven of them fatally. The victims ranged from 5 to 56 years old, and the shootings stretched from Rogers Park on the North Side to West Pullman on the Far South Side. Nearly all the gun violence happened on the West and South sides.

It would be very easy to do some analysis of countries with a similar level of 'violent' video game usage to the US and compare their mass shooting stats.

(Although I can't claim to have any of the figures) I suspect that the UK or Canada have a similar level and type of video game usage to the US but the numbers of mass shooting in these countries are a fraction of those in the US - per head of population.

When Bill Clinton restricted the use of assault weapons the numbers of these events dropped significantly.

It really isn't some mystery beyond solving.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Aug 2019, 10:20

Deebank wrote:
When Bill Clinton restricted the use of assault weapons the numbers of these events dropped significantly.

I won't argue but I don't get exactly why a semi-auto soldierly-looking weapon is more a killing machine than a semi-auto deer rifle or a simple shotgun.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 08 Aug 2019, 11:03

Maybe they should paint them all pink and cover them in sparkly glitter.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2019, 11:12

Jimbo wrote:
Deebank wrote:

I won't argue but I don't get exactly why a semi-auto soldierly-looking weapon is more a killing machine than a semi-auto deer rifle or a simple shotgun.

I thought you wanted to find out if video games were responsible for the disproportionate number of mass shootings in the US?
“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Aug 2019, 11:20

Nope. You could argue that there's something innate in human culture that's been reflected through the ages in the need for violent entertainment. But on balance, stupid gun laws and something peculiar to US society seem to be at the root of the problem.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Aug 2019, 12:25

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Deebank wrote:

I thought you wanted to find out if video games were responsible for the disproportionate number of mass shootings in the US?

Of course he doesn’t!

Whatever, when was the last time there was a mass shooting perpetrated with a deer rifle or shotgun?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2019, 12:26

Well, exactly. I was trying to be oblique!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Aug 2019, 12:47

Future thread ideas:

What about the minorities* killing each other in Chicago!?

* nice word used gratuitously to engage dumb liberals.

Define “assault weapon” (you can’t can you, you lily livered liberal weakling!)

Isn’t this a mental health issue?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2019, 15:51

:lol:

Chill Baron, chill... !

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Aug 2019, 20:52

Why video games aren’t causing America’s gun problem, in one chart:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... game-chart
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Aug 2019, 23:25

psychology today publishes studies about the causes of Gun Culture all the damned time.
violent video games have fuck all to do with any of them.

this issue is the perfect goddam example of the world we live in now. tell somebody what you want to hear. they repeat it. now you cite them as a source of information. who needs Psychology today when you've got a bunch of YOBBOS who will repeat anything that sounds good? Now Tucker Carlson says so. oooooooh! it must be true!

the main thing that has me shrugging my shoulders about Ye Olde Video Game Strategy is that each and every right winger I know positively adores violent video games. is their loyalty unflappabe? somebody must think so.
can you prove it didn't happen?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Aug 2019, 06:21

Very low on list of possible cause of actual violence.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 13 Aug 2019, 07:50

Obviously the availability of guns must be the most important factor.

There was an interesting statistic I read about recently. In Britain in 1954 there were six armed robberies. And this was at a time when buying a gun in Britain such as a shotgun or a pistol was as easy as it is in the USA now. Two decades later that statistic was now 1200 robberies despite Britain changing its laws to make gun purchasing extremely difficult.

I would presume that in the USA buying a weapon has always been easy.

Wikipedia states that mass shootings have tripled since 2011, but that firearm homicide has halved since 1993.

Why are people going out and shooting people randomly? It cannot just be racism or ethnic nationalism daubed as broad brushstrokes because the victims of this violence tend not to be specific targets, but people who are "in the way" when they decide to act.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Aug 2019, 18:17

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D