David Bowie RIP

Do talk back
Hugh
Posts: 15726
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Hugh » 19 Aug 2017, 11:53

Blackstar is a better album.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby The Modernist » 19 Aug 2017, 12:00

Diamond Dog wrote:I'm playing "The Next Day" and I'm thinking back to the thrill that January day three years back when this descended on us from out-of-nowhere...no advance warning, no promos, no teasers...not even rumours. What a magical day that was - I mean "What The Fuck".

And it's such a fine album.... absolutely my favourite of his from after 'the golden period'... I play it more than most of the stuff outside of "Ziggy" "Aladdin Sane" "Low"and "Station To Station"....and "Diamond Dogs". Nothing of his gets played as much as this, besides those.

But it's impossible to hear it without remembering that morning when the news arrived.... and how wonderful it was to be a Bowie fan again.

I've still not plucked up the courage to play "Black Star" yet....


I confess I still haven't got round to buying 'The Next Day' but reading that certainly makes me think I should. I must admit I was a little put off by "Where Are They Now". I just found that one a bit dull and resigned sounding.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67319
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Aug 2017, 12:03

Many say so yes (to Jeemo & Hugh)..

I have a 'difficult' or 'unusual' relationship with it though.....

I pre-ordered it and was waiting full of expectation on the morning for its arrival... only to find Amazon had screwed up and delivered it to my old address... so whilst everyone was celebrating it... I was in ignorance... and didn't want to spoil its newness so didn't sneak a preview anywhere...

Of course, those two days were crucial...by the time it dropped through my letterbox... David was no more and I just couldn't play it after that. It just seemed so inappropriate. I know that's crazy but it really did. I thought in a month or so I'm sure it will be easy to just listen to it as a new album and love it as much as others already have.

The problem is... that day hasn't arrived yet and I'm not actually sure when (if?) it ever will. :?

I'm torn. I realise it's wholly irrational but... hey, that's where I am.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67319
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Aug 2017, 12:04

The Modernist wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I'm playing "The Next Day" and I'm thinking back to the thrill that January day three years back when this descended on us from out-of-nowhere...no advance warning, no promos, no teasers...not even rumours. What a magical day that was - I mean "What The Fuck".

And it's such a fine album.... absolutely my favourite of his from after 'the golden period'... I play it more than most of the stuff outside of "Ziggy" "Aladdin Sane" "Low"and "Station To Station"....and "Diamond Dogs". Nothing of his gets played as much as this, besides those.

But it's impossible to hear it without remembering that morning when the news arrived.... and how wonderful it was to be a Bowie fan again.

I've still not plucked up the courage to play "Black Star" yet....


I confess I still haven't got round to buying 'The Next Day' but reading that certainly makes me think I should. I must admit I was a little put off by "Where Are They Now". I just found that one a bit dull and resigned sounding.



It took me three or four listens (maybe more) G.

Absolutely worth it though.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Hugh
Posts: 15726
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Hugh » 19 Aug 2017, 12:21

I will make happy, Pete. Honestly. Although you will cry a bit the first time. As Jeemo says, just do it.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35625
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby yomptepi » 19 Aug 2017, 12:36

Diamond Dog wrote:

It took me three or four listens (maybe more) G.

Absolutely worth it though.


As all really worthwhile records do. If you absolutely love a rcord the first time you hear it, then you will almost certainly tire of it quickly. The Next Day is one of those records that keeps giving the more you listen. A bit like Outside and Reality.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby The Modernist » 19 Aug 2017, 12:47

yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

It took me three or four listens (maybe more) G.

Absolutely worth it though.


As all really worthwhile records do. If you absolutely love a rcord the first time you hear it, then you will almost certainly tire of it quickly. The Next Day is one of those records that keeps giving the more you listen. A bit like Outside and Reality.


You should take your own advice and apply it to 'Lodger'.

;)

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32787
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Aug 2017, 13:57

Where Are They Now was a very weak single. The album is actually good, very good in places.

I think it might pleasantly surprise you, G.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19559
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 19 Aug 2017, 16:45

It is.

Unlike Blackstar
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Nervous Ned
Posts: 1466
Joined: 22 Aug 2003, 11:19
Location: Close To The Veg

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Nervous Ned » 19 Aug 2017, 16:53

I've tried to like The Next Day I really have, but find little to like about it. It just seemed so tired and safe.
Blackstar on the other hand, while not perfect, just seemed to be Bowie doing whatever he wanted to.
DD, you're spot on about that interval between the release and that awful Monday. I remember thinking that for the first time in ages, here was a Bowie album that had me looking forward to his next one.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35625
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby yomptepi » 19 Aug 2017, 17:14

The Modernist wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

It took me three or four listens (maybe more) G.

Absolutely worth it though.


As all really worthwhile records do. If you absolutely love a rcord the first time you hear it, then you will almost certainly tire of it quickly. The Next Day is one of those records that keeps giving the more you listen. A bit like Outside and Reality.


You should take your own advice and apply it to 'Lodger'.

;)


I did. Had you been here, you would see I have changed my mind about it, and now consider it a great record.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10141
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 19 Aug 2017, 20:29

Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27533
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby toomanyhatz » 19 Aug 2017, 22:49

Being the fellow who had the least nice things to say about Bowie from 1980-2010, I have to say the last two albums are great. I had given up on him, honestly. And this isn't a post-death reappraisal at all - he simply caught my attention again. I really didn't expect it was possible.

I'd be interested to hear from G once he's listened.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10141
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 20 Aug 2017, 09:10

toomanyhatz wrote:Being the fellow who had the least nice things to say about Bowie from 1980-2010, I have to say the last two albums are great. I had given up on him, honestly. And this isn't a post-death reappraisal at all - he simply caught my attention again. I really didn't expect it was possible.

I'd be interested to hear from G once he's listened.


So, no love for Heathen!?
That is the one for me, "caught my attention again" album!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23690
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby never/ever » 20 Aug 2017, 09:29

Mine too... with the subsequent tour and the wonderful car park send-off we gave the band after the Sydney gig, one of the most vivid moments for me.

Haven't played Blackstar in a long time...
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 2960
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 Oct 2017, 23:46

A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20935
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Muskrat » 10 Oct 2017, 00:42

Wait!
David Bowie died?
Things that a fella can't forget...

pig bodine wrote: Nu country is basically southern rock crossed with Journey.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29687
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2017, 01:04

They'll never get over it.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby The Modernist » 10 Oct 2017, 02:23

Tom Waits For No One wrote:


Well that was 3 minutes I'll not get back.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67319
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: David Bowie RIP

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Oct 2017, 16:53

A lovely Bowie story :

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/1660 ... old-anyone

You can imagine him doing exactly that, can't you?
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 15 Oct 2017, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."