BCB TOP 50 ALBUMS 1985-2005 RESULTS!

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Strider

Re: BCB TOP 50 ALBUMS 1985-2005 RESULTS!

Postby Strider » 22 Jul 2005, 22:53

TheModernist Experience wrote:
Strider wrote:I'll give you some extra information.

Observations:
1)suprised that Pixies-Surfer Rosa is as low as 15
They probably suffered from vote splitting. People were either going for this or Doolittle. People tend not to vote for more than one artist in their list (honourable exceptions Huw and Bhoywonder!) -
2)no replacements!!! :shock: i guess its true that most of the Brits just do not get the 'Mats
They're probably better known now than they were at the time over here. Tim received 35 points (3 votes). Two other albums received a vote each.
3)no Husker Du!! :shock:
New Day Rising got 14 points,2 votes, Where..11 points, one vote, Husker Du Flip 16 points, 2 votes. Candy apple..didn't get anything which surprised me as I thought it was the best known one. i think some of these US alternative acts suffered from being too "overground", a lot of people were going for more obscure stuff than that.
4)Boo Radleys??? i do not think I have ever heard this album...maybe I'll have to check it out
5)The Stone Roses run away victory as pointed out by Modernist
6)no Yo La Tengo?-they some of the most consisently excellent albums through this period...perhaps there was vote splitting
I Can Hear.. was the most popular album 36 points,3 votes. 2 of their other albums also received one vote each.
7)somewhat surprised REM's Life's Rich Pageant over Document
8) the lower ranking of Nirvana
Surprising indeed. In Utero only got 15 points, 3 votes
9) three Radiohead albums

Thanks for the answers...again good job with this. Now when do we do we vote for the "Next 20" from 1985-2005? :wink:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 Jul 2005, 22:59

Strider wrote:2)no replacements!!! :shock: i guess its true that most of the Brits just do not get the 'Mats

Or that Let It Be is their best album. It'd be in my top five, probably (and I'm British, btw), but wasn't within the time period. Tim would probably be about 30-40 on my 85-05 list.

As for the list itself, it's pretty good and better than I expected I guess. I've got 24, including nine of the top ten (guess which one I don't have :roll: ), although I only voted for three of the ten, and I think there's only three or four on there I've never heard. Only eight of my picks made the list overall, although a couple of artists (Pixies, Go-Betweens) made it with different albums. I suspect that the Stone Roses were so far ahead because while some criticise it for not being groundbreaking or particularly 'different', it's got perhaps the widest appeal of any of the albums on there.
Surprised to see GZA and Avalanches on there, I had no idea they were held in such high regard.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Beno

Postby Beno » 22 Jul 2005, 23:03

Strider wrote:2)no replacements!!! :shock: i guess its true that most of the Brits just do not get the 'Mats
They're probably better known now than they were at the time over here. Tim received 35 points (3 votes). Two other albums received a vote each.

Blame me. If I had voted tactically for 'Tim' instead of 'Pleased to Meet Me' the Replacements would have appeared in the top 50.

Strider

Postby Strider » 22 Jul 2005, 23:11

APenkWithADeadlyPepa wrote:

Or that Let It Be is their best album. It'd be in my top five, probably (and I'm British, btw), but wasn't within the time period. Tim would probably be about 30-40 on my 85-05 list.

True, Let it Be is their best but Tim is their second best and the Mat's second best is better than many albums on the list imo. The above remark about Brit music tastes was not meant as a cricism, only an observation. In a similar vein, some Americans do not "get" the Stone Roses. Hmmm...this could be good time to revive this type of thread.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Jul 2005, 23:13

Actually, their two best are Hootenanny and Pleased to Meet Me.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Beno

Postby Beno » 22 Jul 2005, 23:19

toomanyhatz wrote:Actually, their two best are Hootenanny and Pleased to Meet Me.

'Pleased to Meet Me', thank you. Clearly the second best album after 'Let it Be' (I'm sorry but I can't agree with you on 'Hootenanny'. 'Let it Be' though is an album that stands up in any era, alhough a 1965 to 1984 match up would be tough.

NancyL21st
Miss Eldritch

Postby NancyL21st » 22 Jul 2005, 23:21

Well done, Moddy!
Hats off.
...Pick me up
Pin me down
Beg enough
Shoot me down...

- - - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZDzjCwf2w
Cabaret Voltaire in Zagreb, Croatia (Sep 28th 1990)

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jul 2005, 23:31

Strider wrote: In a similar vein, some Americans do not "get" the Stone Roses. Hmmm...this could be good time to revive this type of thread.

Although The Stone Roses were also picking up quite a few American votes too, they wouldn't have got so many points otherwise. I thought it could win, but i didn't expect it to run away with it in the way it did. In the past there's been quite a lot of division over them on these boards, there's obviously far more consensus on them than we'd thought.

RcL

Postby RcL » 23 Jul 2005, 01:22

Am I the only one who got none of their choices on the list?!? Wasn't too esoteric a set of choices. Ah well. I own 11 of the 50, like bits of quite a few more. Bit rockist on the whole though (holds lighter aloft for melody).

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Jul 2005, 01:30

Comrade Copehead wrote:I can't believe Blur's Parklife isn't in there, I'm not a massive fan of the boys but that album is better than 50% of the stuff on that list. They seem to be the biggest losers.

Parklife only received one vote and that fairly low down on the individual's list. Someone else voted for The Great Escape as their 3rd favourite record and that was basically it. Blur's stock certainly seems to have fallen hugely.

I knew I shoulda bothered putting a list together! Who voted The Great Escape third I wonder? If I didn't know better I'd've guessed me!
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Microserf 70
heart fulla napalm

Postby Microserf 70 » 23 Jul 2005, 01:36

toomanyhatz wrote:Actually, their two best are Hootenanny and Pleased to Meet Me.

I'd say 'Let It Be' and 'Tim,' though 'Hootenanny' comes close. 'Pleased To Meet Me,' outside of a few songs, has never grabbed me, and I think of the other two as de facto Westerberg solo joints.

Four in the top fifty (MBV, Kid A, Slanted, Soft Bulletin) and it would have been five had I edited in Neutral Milk Hotel.

subspaceplatform

Postby subspaceplatform » 23 Jul 2005, 02:25

Wow... even more offensive than the Spin 1985-2005 list. Good work!

RcL

Postby RcL » 23 Jul 2005, 02:39

Actually, looking again, though there is lots of good music / good taste on the list, the choices say a lot about how CD discounting has affected music buying and musical tastes in the past decade or two. Nice Price, the FOPP chain, 2 For 1 etc. Who'd want to be in a great young band today when record stores are pumped full of cheap reissues?

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 23 Jul 2005, 03:14

Beno wrote:

Blame me. If I had voted tactically for 'Tim' instead of 'Pleased to Meet Me' the Replacements would have appeared in the top 50.
You son of a bitch (I voted for Tim, it's my fave 'Mats record)
He tries.

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 23 Jul 2005, 03:19

no spiritualized?

gutted (mind you, i didnt vote, but i'd have put the stone roses debut at the top of my pile as well)
Mostly dancing sir,...

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 23 Jul 2005, 03:38

Somewhere in LA, Matt Wilson is snickering.

Pretty much as I expected it to go and not much different from other similar lists. I too, am a little surprised at Nirvana's fall from favour since they were probably the best band of the past 20 years :wink:

Nice work, Moddy.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

marios

Postby marios » 23 Jul 2005, 03:45

I only got 3 i think and none is in the top 10: Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith's XO and Low End Theory.

I knew most of my list wouldn't make it obviously, but i was surprised not to see 69 Love Songs, You're Living All Over Me, Insignificance and Galaxie 500's On Fire on there.

All 4 seemed like firm BCB favourites to me, at least based on their precence in NP threads.

I have 40 of those albums btw, but i have heard the 10 i don't own as well.
Last edited by marios on 23 Jul 2005, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 23 Jul 2005, 04:19

I don't know what you people expected. Other than Radiohead, the top ten is pretty solid, as is the rest of it.

Count this American firmly in the Stone Roses camp. I think where you lose the Americans (who weren't too old to begin with) is with Second Coming.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sandy
slight return

Postby sandy » 23 Jul 2005, 08:07

Chris Chopping wrote:
Comrade Copehead wrote:I can't believe Blur's Parklife isn't in there, I'm not a massive fan of the boys but that album is better than 50% of the stuff on that list. They seem to be the biggest losers.

Parklife only received one vote and that fairly low down on the individual's list. Someone else voted for The Great Escape as their 3rd favourite record and that was basically it. Blur's stock certainly seems to have fallen hugely.

I knew I shoulda bothered putting a list together! Who voted The Great Escape third I wonder? If I didn't know better I'd've guessed me!

That would be me: I love The Great Escape and am proud to have been the only voter for it. I knew I wouldn't do too well with my list, but I have got around fifteen of the fifty albums, so that's not a bad return for an old fart! I'm going to copy this list and hunt some of the others down on e-bay.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 23 Jul 2005, 08:14

toomanyhatz wrote:

But does this mean I have to give Stone Roses another listen?

Don't put yourself through it, you'll only feel dirty.

Nice to see The Avalanches scrape in there at No. 50. Truly a wonderous album that for some reason people dont like. Meh.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”