Memphis Jolly-Up, May 26-30, 2005.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2005, 04:14

Lube.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 12 Jan 2005, 04:46

cheepniz wrote:Lube.

You lightweight. Just grimace and bear it, that's what I say.
He tries.

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2005, 04:49

Shagger Dave wrote:

It's also what you said the last time, much to my regret.....

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2005, 15:13

I've posted a couple of links to help us sort through this.

This one is a hokey travel deal type thingy, but it might be worth a look:

http://www.memphistravel.com/vacation_shake.asp

This is the Memphis Hotels site. I'd be more inclined myself to stay near the Univ. of Memphis, because that's my rule for any new city, but from what I can gather, the center city is fine as well.

http://memphis.hotelguide.net/hl1me.htm

And the Yahoo travel guide here:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2697159-memphis_tours-i

And Mapquest has a undefined map of area, but the convention bureau site might have a better one.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 12 Jan 2005, 17:27

cheepniz wrote:
Shagger Dave wrote:

Why the flowers the next day then?
He tries.

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2005, 19:32

Shagger Dave wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
Shagger Dave wrote:

Why the flowers the next day then?

Horrible raging pain, ecstatic delightful pleasure.... hmmm, two sides of the same coin, I guess.

Either that or I'm as dumb as a short plank.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 12 Jan 2005, 21:45

yo crunch moonie wrote:I've posted a couple of links to help us sort through this.

This is the Memphis Hotels site. I'd be more inclined myself to stay near the Univ. of Memphis, because that's my rule for any new city, but from what I can gather, the center city is fine as well.

And Mapquest has a undefined map of area, but the convention bureau site might have a better one.

I took a look at some of these links. Downtown near Beale Street would probably be a good location, especially for people without cars. However, the hotels are pricey. Here's a few...

These are based on double occupancy and exclude tax.

Best Western (no pool) $85
Comfort Inn Downtown (pool) $103
Radisson (pool) $150
Wyndham Garden (pool) $143

I also noticed that some hotels are already sold out, and some have limited availability. Some decisions should be made soon.
The crazy music drives you insane

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 13 Jan 2005, 03:15

Livet wrote:
yo crunch moonie wrote:I've posted a couple of links to help us sort through this.

I took a look at some of these links. Downtown near Beale Street would probably be a good location, especially for people without cars. However, the hotels are pricey. Here's a few...

These are based on double occupancy and exclude tax.

Best Western (no pool) $85
Comfort Inn Downtown (pool) $103
Radisson (pool) $150
Wyndham Garden (pool) $143

I also noticed that some hotels are already sold out, and some have limited availability. Some decisions should be made soon.

A pool isn't that big for me but I'm sure some folks would want one. I agree staying downtown would be best, but how about a quick informal poll on who'll have a car? I plan on renting one, as my suburubanite self would get crazed without access to a vehicle.

What's the ceiling that folks are willing to pay for a hotel? $100 a night would be the max, I would imagine, except for cheepniz would makes four times that much a night and doesn't have to pay for the room he's earning it in either.
He tries.

Postby Guest » 13 Jan 2005, 13:39

Well, I wonder if something is in town that weekend. I've never had a bad experience with a Comfort Inn, so that my be a good route. I plan to rent a car for my trip down (it's six hours from me, so...), if I can get a mini van into my budget, I'll try to do that.

We really need to hear from Baron, TBerry, Velvis and others so that we can concrete this thing. Anyone who has visited could recommend an actual meet up place.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 13 Jan 2005, 16:44

If we don't mind being about a mile or so from downtown, I found a Red Roof Inn for $70 and a Motel 6 for $43. I agree we need to hear from people who have actually been there!
The crazy music drives you insane

Postby Guest » 13 Jan 2005, 16:47

Livet wrote:If we don't mind being about a mile or so from downtown, I found a Red Roof Inn for $70 and a Motel 6 for $43. I agree we need to hear from people who have actually been there!

A mile from downtown??

How do you expect me to maintain my salary that far from the clients??

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 13 Jan 2005, 17:03

It is indeed likely that something is going on at this time. It is Memorial Day weekend, often the kick off of summer festivities in any community.
That said I'm looking for more of an idea as to when most are arriving and departing.
As mentioned before I am in the possession of a Frommer's guide and while there are some things that seem like good ideas for destinations that might serve for meeting up, we lack insight as to the true nature of these places themselves. Will we be welcome to linger?
If enough of us select a hotel that has its own dining facilities and a bar, we've always got that option.

Postby Guest » 13 Jan 2005, 19:27

Sambient wrote:If enough of us select a hotel that has its own dining facilities and a bar, we've always got that option.

Well, I'm all for this option as it would be the best place to meet.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 13 Jan 2005, 22:35

FUCK ME! There's a Heartbreak Hotel right across the street from Graceland with a Jungle Room lounge!

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 13 Jan 2005, 23:42

Sambient wrote:FUCK ME! There's a Heartbreak Hotel right across the street from Graceland with a Jungle Room lounge!

WE HAVE A WINNER!
He tries.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 14 Jan 2005, 00:44

Though in all fairness, Frommer's says, regarding the Airport & Graceland areas
... truthfully, the airport area encompasses neighborhoods most locals would not feel safe driving in late at night. To get a sense of what Memphis is all about, you really should try to stay in or near downtown. Besides, with the plethora of tour buses and shuttle services available, access to Graceland is as easy from downtown as it is from the airport area.

Also from Frommer's, via book or frommers.com regarding Elvis Presley's Heartbreak Hotel-Graceland
If your visit to Memphis is a pilgrimage to Graceland, there should be no question as to where to stay. This hotel has a gate right into the Graceland parking lot, with Elvis's home right across Elvis Presley Boulevard. In the lobby, you'll find two big portraits of The King, and decor that would fit right in at Graceland. Also new since being acquired by the operators of Graceland are several theme suites, including the irresistibly named "Burning Love Suite." (Feel your temperature rising?) If you don't want to shell out big bucks for the entire suite, ask to split it and just rent a portion (or one room) of the suite. Many guests do this, I'm told. Facilities:
Heart-shaped outdoor pool

My main reason for going is to gather with you musos. I'll want to experience some good bbq and all that, but the main focus being our get together. This might be an easier venue to claim for the evening, and if anyone does the suites, we've got that as a meeting option too. If there's something big going on that weekend, it's probably going to be in the downtown area. We can join the mayhem, or create our own.
Close to the airport means less of a taxi fare for some.
Oh, and I recall seeing in the info from Placestostay.com that theres a free movie channel that shows Elvis movies 24hrs. The rooms seem to be starting at $99 for the time frame we're examining.

There's alot of pros and cons to this location, thoughts?
Last edited by Sambient on 14 Jan 2005, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 14 Jan 2005, 01:41

I've just a hunk a hunk o burning love for the Heartbreak hotel idea!

Gater

Postby Gater » 14 Jan 2005, 01:54

found this on a Yahoo search

http://www.hotels-rates.com/Memphis/TN/usa/&TrackID=ink

You can search by price or attraction.
Are there main points of interest or must see places that everyone or a majority want to see?

another search

http://www.memphistravel.com/sampleit_day1.asp
I wont retire,but I might retread.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 14 Jan 2005, 11:03

I don't want to spring for a car. Can I ride around with someone?

$100 a night sounds reasonable to me for a decent resort hotel. I'll be arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday.
a gibbon running freely

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 14 Jan 2005, 11:58

Velvis wrote:I'll be arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday.

on Wednesday Dec. 8, Velvis wrote:Everyone having had an opportunity to respond, I'm calling it. Memorial Day weekend.

Thursday, May 26 through Monday, May 30. (Monday is the legal holiday). Let's start planning. Hotels, clubs and touring, anyone?

Why the inconsistency, counsellor?

Looking at more of the features of Heartbreak Hotel, there is free shuttle service to downtown, even into the evening. Plus it was looking like some folks were talking about minivans and such. I think they had a free airport shuttle too.

A detail it would be nice to clarify regarding this location. I can't tell if there is a Jungle Room lounge as a venue, or if each room has its own Jungle Room lounge.

I read some traveler's reviews. More people liked this place than did not, though one of the dissastisfied ones complained that their room did not have any natural light, the window looked onto the dining area :o
Most of the rooms do have a regular window though. A few of these traveler reviews were by people who have come there on repeat occasions because they enjoy it.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”