The Prog Premier League - The Final League Table

Do talk back
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: The Prog Premier League - VOTE NOW FOR 11-20 Placings

Postby LMG » 20 Oct 2021, 20:00

slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

. If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

I didn't even vote for the rich man's BJH...
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 20 Oct 2021, 21:04

This thread is a bit Taylor Swift light.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Oct 2021, 21:31

depending on voting this round they could make the next 10.
Although the lack of you pathetic people thinking Canterbury, space rock and fusion are not prog means my next 10 will be all those genre as I already had several in the last ten.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Oct 2021, 21:32

Positive Passion wrote:This thread is a bit Taylor Swift light.

we can do a top pop music of the last 30 years if that is more interesting. :D

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Oct 2021, 22:40

Hightea wrote:[
Although the lack of you pathetic people thinking Canterbury, space rock and fusion are not prog means my next 10 will be all those genre as I already had several in the last ten.

Who are those folk dear boy...?

Egg, The Hatfields, Caravan et alia - of course they are prog...!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 20 Oct 2021, 22:42

Hightea wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:This thread is a bit Taylor Swift light.

we can do a top pop music of the last 30 years if that is more interesting. :D

No, no - you all seem to be having a lovely time!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Oct 2021, 23:46

C wrote:

X

noticed you left out gong and soft machine . :o ;)

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Oct 2021, 16:56

Hightea wrote:
C wrote:

X

noticed you left out gong and soft machine . :o ;)

et alia.......

:D
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 21 Oct 2021, 18:12

Hightea wrote:

depending on voting this round they could make the next 10.

I have read this post a number of times trying to make sense of it. 'The lack of you people thinking...are not prog means...' - ?

This has left me wondering if the above post and side 2 of the Yes album Tales From Topographic Oceans, 'The Remembering (High The Memory), have ever been seen in the same room at the same time?

It's the 'song' that starts

'As the silence of seasons on we relive abridge sails afloat
As to call light the soul shall sing of the velvet sailors course on'.

Just a theory...
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

robertff

Re: The Prog Premier League - Final Full Day to vote for 11-20 Placings

Postby robertff » 22 Oct 2021, 08:11

As it says in the thread title:

Final full day to vote for the 11-12 placings in the Prog Premier League Table.

J

Postby J » 22 Oct 2021, 11:47

Hi, I haven't posted on the board much in recent years, but still drop in from time to time to read any interesting threads.
I haven't voted in the previous two rounds but should have some time free later on today, so may PM a list for the 11-20 vote if that's OK.

I had intended to vote for the Top 5, but missed the deadline. My votes probably wouldn't have influenced the result very much as 4 of the 5 ultimately voted for were also in my own list of 5 (Jethro Tull being the exception).
oh the sun is shining
and I'm on that road

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 Oct 2021, 08:14

Two more votes in thanks Josh aka Josh and chaos.

Time is fast running out to get you vote in for the 11- 20 placings 1:00 p.m. GMT today.

Reminder, you are voting for the next ten placings 11-20, still on the same basis, influence and importance to prog and try and rein in the temptation to go just with favourites, although I warrant that will be harder at this stage.

It goes without saying but remember not to vote for any of the top ten and make sure they are in order 11-20.

So as this might take a little longer, I'll extend the deadline time to next Saturday 23rd October 1:00 p.m. GMT.

To keep things balanced, although it probably won't make any difference, I shall award the points as before to each of the two groups of five in the ten.

As before, votes to be sent to me by PM only, nothing else will be considered and you are voting for the next 10 placings (11-20) in the Prog Premier League.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: The Prog Premier League - Last Morning to vote for 11-20 Placings

Postby LMG » 23 Oct 2021, 12:26

It's as exciting as the Brexit vote!

With wider implications for the stability of the world order, of course, and less clowning about.

My chosen engraver is on overtime standby waiting to hear if the trophy is to be inscribed 'Presented to Caravan October 2021' or not.

If it is a wooden spoon and no silver for Caravan, I shall let him go home. No sense paying over the odds to get Barclay James Harvest's name on the plate, if you follow me.

BJH can have their trophy when they take the stage in the Spring next year in Knebel, Denmark at the Fuglsøcentret show. That is a dinner theatre, so I would hope to present the award after the buffet and head off for an early shower before the band actually start playing. I won't say more as it might influence late voting.

Still, getting ahead of events, there.

Jan Russell Schelhaas has been texting and calling since late last night for a result, and I have had to fob him off by saying I am only in contact with original band members, which has kept him quiet for now.

It's not a strict rule, but confusion is howling on my doorstep and fiddling with the catflap, if you consider that so many of the buggers have been in multiple lesser division bands. Richard Sinclair demands to know if 'his lot' are in with a chance? Well, which band do you mean, Richard - Caravan, obvs, or perhaps Camel, National Health, or the Hatfields? He tries to get me to spill the beans saying he knows very well I have told his former bandmate Jan S, and I panic wondering what I have let slip inadvertently to the Camel/Caravan keyboardist.

Then I realise Sinclair is unlikely to have resolved his decades-long feud with Schelhaas, even with such high stakes on the table. I call his bluff, and he ends one of his frequent intrusive phone calls with 'Well, it was worth a try...'

I certainly hope betting has been suspended with all this blatant chicanery going on!

And don't get me started on Patrick Moraz.

Just. Don't.

- Charles Taylor

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Oct 2021, 13:50

LMG wrote:It's as exciting as the Brexit vote!

With wider implications for the stability of the world order, of course, and less clowning about.

My chosen engraver is on overtime standby waiting to hear if the trophy is to be inscribed 'Presented to Caravan October 2021' or not.

If it is a wooden spoon and no silver for Caravan, I shall let him go home. No sense paying over the odds to get Barclay James Harvest's name on the plate, if you follow me.

BJH can have their trophy when they take the stage in the Spring next year in Knebel, Denmark at the Fuglsøcentret show. That is a dinner theatre, so I would hope to present the award after the buffet and head off for an early shower before the band actually start playing. I won't say more as it might influence late voting.

Still, getting ahead of events, there.

Jan Russell Schelhaas has been texting and calling since late last night for a result, and I have had to fob him off by saying I am only in contact with original band members, which has kept him quiet for now.

It's not a strict rule, but confusion is howling on my doorstep and fiddling with the catflap, if you consider that so many of the buggers have been in multiple lesser division bands. Richard Sinclair demands to know if 'his lot' are in with a chance? Well, which band do you mean, Richard - Caravan, obvs, or perhaps Camel, National Health, or the Hatfields? He tries to get me to spill the beans saying he knows very well I have told his former bandmate Jan S, and I panic wondering what I have let slip inadvertently to the Camel/Caravan keyboardist.

Then I realise Sinclair is unlikely to have resolved his decades-long feud with Schelhaas, even with such high stakes on the table. I call his bluff, and he ends one of his frequent intrusive phone calls with 'Well, it was worth a try...'

I certainly hope betting has been suspended with all this blatant chicanery going on!

And don't get me started on Patrick Moraz.

Just. Don't.

:lol:

Excellent!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 23 Oct 2021, 14:30

Fantastic post by Mr. LMG.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

robertff

Postby robertff » 23 Oct 2021, 17:48

So here we have it, the final ten placings in the Prog Premier League 2021 and the final league table. As stated at the outset the lists of ten were divided into two sets of five based on the order you sent them to me

The Moody Blues got their 18th placing because they received a reasonably high number of votes in both sets of 5 just one point behind Strawbs, Soft Machine and Radiohead in the first batch of five and a high number in batch two, so it seemed only fair to award them 18th place. If you don't agree with this strategy then put them in 20th place.

11. Caravan
12. Focus
13. Marillion
14. Mike Oldfield
15= Strawbs
15= Soft Machine
15= Radiohead
18. Moody Blues
19. Renaissance
20. Camel

Below is the list of those bands voted for in the last 10 placings (in no particular order) and it has to be said that the 10 winners were ahead of rivals by some distance.

Caravan
Marillion
Strawbs
This Heat
Slapp Happy
Gong
Zappa
Moody Blues
Radiohead
Kraftwerk
Mike Oldfield
PFM
Dream Theater
Queensryche
Opeth
Procol Harum
Hawkwind
Miles Davis ’69-’75
Spock's Beard
Synergy
Renaissance
The Nice
Hatfield & The North
Egg
Barclay James Harvest
Quatermass
Tool
Nektar
Sigur Ros
Camel
Anathema
Soft Machine
Family
Magma
Decemberists
Manfred Mann’s Earthband
Steve Hackett
Can
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Mahavsihnu Orchestra
Vangelis
Focus
Kayak
ELO

So the final Prog Premier League Table of 2021 looks like this:

1. Yes (Champions)
2. Genesis
3. King Crimson
4. Pink Floyd
5. Jethro Tull
6.= Gentle Giant
6.= VDGG
8. ELP
9. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson
10. Rush

11. Caravan
12. Focus
13. Marillion
14. Mike Oldfield
15= Strawbs
15= Soft Machine
15= Radiohead
18. Moody Blues
19. Renaissance
20. Camel

Once again 11 people voted. Thanks everyone who took part.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: The Prog Premier League - The Final League Table

Postby LMG » 23 Oct 2021, 18:43

Well done and thanks for all the effort, sir.

Now that is all settled it seems in some small way a less uncertain, fearful world.

- Charles Taylor

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 23 Oct 2021, 19:01

... and I am so glad Patrick Moraz will be getting his bleddy two awards, one for the champions and one for the Moodies lucky placing near the bottom.

As for the logic of his argument that his Yes award should be much larger than that of Igor Koroshev or Oliver Wakeman, I keep telling him they are all the same size - Kaye, Downes, Sherwood, Wakeman Senior...

In fact, whether it is on its way to Fripp, Palmer, Bruford, Tony Banks, the estates of Lake, Emerson, Wetton or Squire, or Steven Fucking Wilson to add to the pile in his garage no doubt, it is the exact same sized piece of gilded silver 17 centimetres in height on a malakite base with the band and member's name inscribed and hopefully spelled correctly. Even foreign ones like his.

Personally, I am looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet on the domestic front.

- Charles Taylor

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 23 Oct 2021, 20:13

Good season for Yes, but can they keep it up next year? They're bound to lose a couple of players next year and I heard their manager is getting offers from Gong.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 23 Oct 2021, 20:31

robertff wrote:

So the final Prog Premier League Table of 2021 looks like this:

1. Yes (Champions)
2. Genesis
3. King Crimson
4. Pink Floyd
5. Jethro Tull
6.= Gentle Giant
6.= VDGG
8. ELP
9. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson
10. Rush

11. Caravan
12. Focus
13. Marillion
14. Mike Oldfield
15= Strawbs
15= Soft Machine
15= Radiohead
18. Moody Blues
19. Renaissance
20. Camel

Once again 11 people voted. Thanks everyone who took part.

And I took part in this debacle? I despair! Whatever happened to real music? What, no BJH?

Return to “Yakety Yak”