First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: First music death you took notice of and the one that affected you the most

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2021, 14:45

Oh, I was making the journey there myself anyway ;)
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 25 Mar 2021, 15:00

Elvis was probably the first one I took notice of, but in a sneery 'who cares' punk way, which I now recant.

The passing of Pete Shelley and Chris Sievey/Frank Sidebottom were the ones that made me saddest.
Last edited by Tom Waits For No One on 25 Mar 2021, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2021, 15:01

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Elvis was probably the first one I took notice of, but in a sneery 'who cares' punk way, which I now recant.

Pete Shelley's passing was the one that made me saddest.

Oh god, yes.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 25 Mar 2021, 15:46

Minnie the Minx wrote:FFS
So you DO want to talk about it?
You’re driving me to drink!

'Sorry, ma'am - minimum fare's a buck fifty...'
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Mar 2021, 17:24

First was probably the Buddy Holly plane crash - not that I knew their music, but it was all over the papers.
The most, I don't know. I was passing fond of Jimi and Janis, Ian Curtis and Jackie Leven too. Elvis was a shock, John Lennon was unexpected, Bolan too, but my fandom, such as it was, had run its course, there was no sense of great music being cancelled. But there have been such a lot of deaths - most of my teen heros have gone - Spector, Timi Yuro, Ben E KIng, Little Richard - and those that are hanging on are in their dotage.
As am I :)
Last edited by Rayge on 25 Mar 2021, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Mar 2021, 18:30

Rayge wrote:most of my teen heros have gone - Spector

Spector of course, died twice over - the night of Lana Clarkson and his actual passing years later. I mourned his death, but mostly I mourned that his achievements were forever tainted by the sentence, and it was frowned upon to celebrate them, much less mention them, even though they were all from decades earlier, in more innocent times. I mourned Lana Clarkson, I mourned Spector, and I lamented the end of that golden age.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Mar 2021, 19:03

Would have to be Brian Jones - the first I took notice of, can’t say any have really affected me terribly badly.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 25 Mar 2021, 19:26

The one I first took notice of: Elvis, no doubt.
The one that shocked me: Ian Curtis. Didn't see that one coming.
The ones that have affected me most: Zappa and Lou Reed. Frank because he simply was the greatest composer of the 2nd half of the 20th Century and had so much more to give to the world, and Lou because Berlin is one of the best albums ever and I would have given my left kidney to see him perform.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 25 Mar 2021, 19:44

I think Bolan was a shock as it was so sudden and my best mate was just mad about him.
Elvis was earth shattering and my sister played his 40 greatest hits all day. He seemed to us so much older but he was only what 41 ? The same age and year my mother died.
The thing about Lennon wasn't that he died but more how he died.
I guess Ian Curtis was the biggest upset until Bowie left us. Actually, Lennie Cohen was a bad one for me.
I really don't know what will happen when Bobby dies, oh boy.

Good call on Pete Shelley . I always loved him. Mark E Smith as well.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 25 Mar 2021, 22:05

Probably "the day the music died." I remember where I was (coming upstairs from the basement/playroom) when I heard the news on the radio.

Greatest effect, maybe Roy Orbison because I'd done some work with him, it was so unexpected, and I heard it on the radio while I was still half-groggy, waking up.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Mar 2021, 22:24

Muskrat wrote:Greatest effect, maybe Roy Orbison because I'd done some work with him, it was so unexpected, and I heard it on the radio while I was still half-groggy, waking up.

That one was a shock. Not least because he was right in the middle of an incredibly unlikely (and heartwarming) career resurgence, with Blue Velvet and the Black And White Night special, the huge success of the Wilburys album and videos, and Mystery Girl/"You Got It" just around the corner... it seemed terribly unfair. (Although there is something to be said for going out on top!)

There were subsequent rumors that Del Shannon would join the Wilburys (Petty and Lynne had both produced records for him, and I think Dylan and Harrison were fans to at least some degree), but then he committed suicide, which was a shock too. (And a disproportionately high price to pay just to get out of joining the Traveling Wilburys.) (Too soon?)
Last edited by Charlie O. on 17 May 2022, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 Mar 2021, 02:05

Was too young for the early 70's deaths (Jimi, Janis, Duane, Jim) and while remember the Lynyrd Skynyrd deaths but considered that more a band death and while a fan wasn't a big one. Elvis looked like death at the time so really didn't care.

That puts me at Keith Moon. 78 was only the second year I was seeing concerts and The who would have been big on my list. Moon was a wildman so don't think it affected me much. Lennon was the real first big one for me. I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced it. I ran down to the basement where my brother was living. He jumped in his car and drove to The Datoka (about 40 minutes away).

Affected most?
You know Zappa was sick so it might not have affected me much. Which leads us to Jerry Garcia? I guess this one got me. I stopped seeing the Dead live in 90-91? So sort of was in another world when he passed. Hit me pretty hard even said wow I should have seen them more (I saw the dead 30+ times).

Others:
Kurt - was a fan but the overhype of his death turned me off although sad.
Daevid Allen - I had met Daevid a few times over the years so this was the first one I felt I knew the musician.
Bowie - this one hit me hard I think I played Bowie for a week straight. Absolutely cried on way into work when I found out.
Chris Cornell - oddly the fact that he commit suicide really hit me while in the 90's Kurt didn't.

The future:
If Tori Amos ever died before me it would be a hard one.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Mar 2021, 02:49

First one I took note of was Elvis, which was somewhat of a bigger deal because it happened on my birthday, though his celebrity was certainly a factor, even if I wasn't really a big fan at the time (and wouldn't be for decades). Hard to say which one affected me most. I still wasn't the Beatles fanatic I would become when Howard Cosell announced John Lennon's death on that fateful night, but it was rather a jolt as The Beatles' music had been a fairly big part of my childhood. Selena was a big shock to me as I had developed a rather large crush on her from watching her on the late-night Tejano video show on one of my local channels. Prince was a huge shock, one of the hardest to accept in the recent slew of rock/pop star deaths.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Mar 2021, 04:01

As for Minnie's and LMG's little "driving" exchange: are you trying to imply that I somehow wouldn't know that "drive" has got more than one meaning? Just because I made one, lousy mistake by confusing "in/out of a trunk" in another thread a while back? Feel free to correct me if I ever make a mistake, but I really don't think this sort of thing is necessary. I chose BCB and suffered years of John's bullying, precisely because this place has a high level of English. I thought it would be a good way to maintain my own English proficiency. And of course, talk about music.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 26 Mar 2021, 05:11, edited 4 times in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Mar 2021, 04:03

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 26 Mar 2021, 04:37, edited 2 times in total.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Mar 2021, 04:04

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 26 Mar 2021, 04:14

I should also include Phil Spector among those who registered strongly with me. But the truth is, I was surprised he lived under those conditions as long as he did. He was old and frail, after all.

On the other hand, there was a good chance he was on the near verge of release. But I don't know how enjoyable his life would be with the reputation he'd (unjustly, sez I, but that's another discussion) gained.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Mar 2021, 04:40

Muskrat wrote:I should also include Phil Spector among those who registered strongly with me. But the truth is, I was surprised he lived under those conditions as long as he did. He was old and frail, after all.

On the other hand, there was a good chance he was on the near verge of release. But I don't know how enjoyable his life would be with the reputation he'd (unjustly, sez I, but that's another discussion) gained.

At 80-81 years of age, I doubt he'd be back in the studio, but to see his past achievements wiped out was rather sad.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Mar 2021, 09:10

I can't remember the first that I noticed, but the one that affected me most was someone I'm not even a massive fan of, Trish Keenan from Broadcast. I've got a couple of their albums, but they're not a top 50 fave or something. It's more that she was still pretty young, early 40s, still creative, and died as a result of her career a long, long way from home. She caught swine flu on tour in Australia, just before Christmas, and died of pneumonia a few weeks later, still in hospital. I know there's no fairness in life, and people have worse deaths, but it struck me as fairly cruel, and affected me much more than I understand.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Mar 2021, 09:33

Just realised another one that shocked me....being in Cuba, on the way to Havana hearing about the death of Mark Hollis.
Immediately started playing Spirit Of Eden....felt the tears well up when he sang "Is it worth so much when you taste it, enough there ain't enough hidden hurt/a time to sell yourself, a time for passing..."

Still one that hurts.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Yakety Yak”