Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 21 Dec 2020, 18:40

That takes a special brain to design that. Beautiful.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Dec 2020, 19:17

Jess and Eliza Birdwell, the Quaker couple at the center of the 1956 Gary Cooper vehicle Friendly Persuasion, were based on real life couple Joshua and Elizabeth Milhous, whose great-granddaughter Jessamyn West wrote the book on which the film was (loosely) based. Another of the Milhous' great-grandchildren was West's second cousin, Richard Milhous Nixon.

(Interesting - or not - side note: Michael Wilson, the film's original screenwriter, was uncredited in its original release due to his having been blacklisted since completing the script, a victim of the anti-Communist hysteria that young Dick Nixon had done so much to foment.)

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 27 Dec 2020, 15:35

The fear of palindromes is aibohphobia.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Dec 2020, 17:13

There's a guy called Glen Cooney who has Tourette Syndrome who has started a cooking channel on Instagram (and some other platforms I think) with his family. This is a fairly tame one, but what he does is try an awareness of the condition by doing some shows on medication and others without. His entire family join in and they obviously are a very tight family unit who have used laughter as a great bonding tool.

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Dec 2020, 17:09

2 crumpets are 19 dollars on Amazon. That’s nearly ten dollars a crumpet.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 15:49

Fanny and Alexander is absolutely INCREDIBLE!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 17:03

Minnie the Minx wrote:2 crumpets are 19 dollars on Amazon. That’s nearly ten dollars a crumpet.

I am happy to mail you crumpets if you like. I’m going to the store that sells them locally and will get back to you about the brand. I bought them once years ago but I’m no expert.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 17:04

Six String wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:2 crumpets are 19 dollars on Amazon. That’s nearly ten dollars a crumpet.

I am happy to mail you crumpets if you like. I’m going to the store that sells them locally and will get back to you about the brand. I bought them once years ago but I’m no expert.

Oh my god! Are you serious? You live near somewhere that sells crumpets?

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 17:05

This is what would be known as a ‘game changer’!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 17:15

Glad to help. I’ll report back soon. They have Hobnobs and McVitties too!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 17:17

Crumpets I have never seen here, never. We can get nearly everything else!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 19:04

Ok, these are Butler’s Pantry Crumpets, fat free and sugar free. They are made in Hayward, CA (SF Bay Area) so not British. If you want them or want more than one pack let me know. I am going to the post office Monday or Tuesday anyway so I could ship them soon. Alas they are not Duffy’s. If these aren’t to your liking I am happy to keep them and eat them as I haven’t had any others to compare.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 20:21

Six String wrote:Ok, these are Butler’s Pantry Crumpets, fat free and sugar free. They are made in Hayward, CA (SF Bay Area) so not British. If you want them or want more than one pack let me know. I am going to the post office Monday or Tuesday anyway so I could ship them soon. Alas they are not Duffy’s. If these aren’t to your liking I am happy to keep them and eat them as I haven’t had any others to compare.

Good god man yes! Please send some!!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 20:35

Someone was just telling me about the astronaut love triangle during which one astronaut put on a diaper and drove the length of the country to kill her love rival, shitting in her pants the way!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 20:44

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Six String wrote:Ok, these are Butler’s Pantry Crumpets, fat free and sugar free. They are made in Hayward, CA (SF Bay Area) so not British. If you want them or want more than one pack let me know. I am going to the post office Monday or Tuesday anyway so I could ship them soon. Alas they are not Duffy’s. If these aren’t to your liking I am happy to keep them and eat them as I haven’t had any others to compare.

Good god man yes! Please send some!!

Ok, will do. BTW, thanks for the XMAS card. 8-)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 30 Dec 2020, 22:21

Went to Tesco's today to buy some Triple Sec to make Margaritas. Couldn't find any so asked one the guys packing shelves. Took me to a shelf and handed me a bottle of Cointreau. I had no clue that they were basically the same thing.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Dec 2020, 00:06

Jimbly wrote:Went to Tesco's today to buy some Triple Sec to make Margaritas. Couldn't find any so asked one the guys packing shelves. Took me to a shelf and handed me a bottle of Cointreau. I had no clue that they were basically the same thing.

And a much better version as well. Patron makes their own orange flavored bev and it is very swallowable. :lol: This is when I tend to make margaritas at home as the Mexican limes in the yard ripen in November so they’re literally falling off the tree at this point.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 31 Dec 2020, 17:31

Just read this article about Brexit Day 1

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/12/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-day-one-of-brexit/

I really feel for you, my poor British brethren... :(
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 31 Dec 2020, 18:00

Six String wrote:
Jimbly wrote:Went to Tesco's today to buy some Triple Sec to make Margaritas. Couldn't find any so asked one the guys packing shelves. Took me to a shelf and handed me a bottle of Cointreau. I had no clue that they were basically the same thing.

And a much better version as well. Patron makes their own orange flavored bev and it is very swallowable. :lol: This is when I tend to make margaritas at home as the Mexican limes in the yard ripen in November so they’re literally falling off the tree at this point.

Yeah, I think Cointreau is preferable, though it's kind of a wild beast and needs a little simple syrup to even it out.
Two tequilas, one cointreau, one lime juice, a little sugar to balance it out to your tastes, and you're doing well for yourself. I avoid them in wintertime, myself. but I don't have a damn lime tree in my yard!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Dec 2020, 20:46

Minnie the Minx wrote:Someone was just telling me about the astronaut love triangle during which one astronaut put on a diaper and drove the length of the country to kill her love rival, shitting in her pants the way!

I remember that story. It was a little surreal. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to get somewhere so fast I would wear a diaper to reduce stoppage.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”