Beefheart: Strictly Personal: phasing/reverberation - yes/no...?

Do talk back

Well?

Poll ended at 04 Jan 2021, 17:15

Sometimes
45%
Always
35%
Never
20%

Total votes: 20

C
Robust

Beefheart: Strictly Personal: phasing/reverberation - yes/no...?

Postby C » 26 Dec 2020, 17:14

Often coupled with Bluejeans & Moonbeams as two weak albums.

Well, my view is that UG is much better than the other one by a significant margin.

I enjoy listening to it.

Surely it’s not just me - is it?

Last edited by C on 10 Feb 2021, 12:46, edited 9 times in total.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: Do you get Beefheart....?

Postby LMG » 26 Dec 2020, 17:58

I am a 'sometimes' in that it took me a while to get him, and the revered Trout Mask Replica is an album I admire more than enjoy, it is right down the list of my favourite albums of his, and nowhere in my top 500 albums of all time.

That does not mean I think it is a bad album, or has not been very influential.

The ones I love best are Safe As Milk, Clear Spot/The Spotlight Kid (issued on the same cd and both with the word 'Spot' in the title so I can never tell them apart) and Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)

The latter remains my favourite from The Captain, this reminds me I must investigate the warp the album's history put in the discography, and the subsequent attempts to address and correct this.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Dec 2020, 18:12

I voted "Always". When I was a teenager I thought he was God.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2020, 18:21

I am an 'always'.

You know, I have three live albums: My Father's Place '78, Amsterdam '80 and London '74 - all brilliantly well recorded and performed.

I am playing the former as a I type. What an absolute corker!

I recall Yomptepi was also lucky to get a copy.

A great set-list

1. "Tropical Hot Dog Night"
2. "Nowadays a Woman's Gotta Hit a Man"
3. "Owed t'Alex"
4. "Dropout Boogie"
5. "Harry Irene"
6. "Abba Zaba"
7. "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles"
8. "Old Fart at Play"
9. "Well"
10. "Ice Rose"
11. "Moonlight on Vermont"
12. "The Floppy Boot Stomp"
13. "You Know You're a Man"
14. "Bat Chain Puller"
15. "Apes-Ma"
16. "When I See Mommy I Feel Like a Mummy"
17. "Veteran's Day Poppy"
18. "Safe as Milk"
19. "Suction Prints"

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Dec 2020, 18:42

90% Godawful racket.

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Dec 2020, 18:49

Generally love his music particularly the first two. Have reservations about TMR and Decals but at the very least they are interesting. As for the rest I like them all and you also sent me a copy of Fathers Place C. - thanks very much.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Dec 2020, 18:50

I have it all, except for the Zappa collab, "Bongo Fury". A couple of albums really show he could be melodic, and while it is not my sole criterion for playtime, it is still quite important. I have listened to "Safe as Milk" and the Camden comp, "Electricity", a lot more than I have "Trout", for instance. I actually bought a Trout T-shirt once, back in Tokyo, but only wore it once. I got the box, "Grow Shark Fins", for my 40th, but only played the whole thing once. I think the Beefheart persona looms larger than the recorded legacy, the fact that he was such a weirdo and gave it all up to paint in the desert, well, that sort of thing fascinates me.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 26 Dec 2020, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 26 Dec 2020, 18:51

LMG wrote:I am a 'sometimes' in that it took me a while to get him, and the revered Trout Mask Replica is an album I admire more than enjoy, it is right down the list of my favourite albums of his, and nowhere in my top 500 albums of all time.

That does not mean I think it is a bad album, or has not been very influential.

The ones I love best are Safe As Milk, Clear Spot/The Spotlight Kid (issued on the same cd and both with the word 'Spot' in the title so I can never tell them apart) and Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)

The latter remains my favourite from The Captain, this reminds me I must investigate the warp the album's history put in the discography, and the subsequent attempts to address and correct this.

Mostly agree, trout mask sometimes seems to make more sense on certain days, others less so. I like the two commercial records as well. A quite remarkable artist.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 26 Dec 2020, 18:52

GoogaMooga wrote:I have it all, except for the Zappa collab, "Bongo Fury". A couple of albums really show he could be melodic, and while it is not my sole criterion for playtime, it is still quite important. I have listened to "Safe as Milk" and the Camden comp, "Electricity", a lot more than I have "Trout", for instance. I actually bought a Trout T-shirt once, back in Tokyo, but only wore it once. I got the box, "Grow Shark Fins" for my 40th, but only played the whole thing once. I think the Beefheart persona looms larger than the recorded legacy, the fact that he was such a weirdo and gave it all up to paint in the desert, well, that sort of thing fascinates me.

Googs, you need bongo fury, every home does.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Dec 2020, 19:00

jimboo wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I have it all, except for the Zappa collab, "Bongo Fury". A couple of albums really show he could be melodic, and while it is not my sole criterion for playtime, it is still quite important. I have listened to "Safe as Milk" and the Camden comp, "Electricity", a lot more than I have "Trout", for instance. I actually bought a Trout T-shirt once, back in Tokyo, but only wore it once. I got the box, "Grow Shark Fins" for my 40th, but only played the whole thing once. I think the Beefheart persona looms larger than the recorded legacy, the fact that he was such a weirdo and gave it all up to paint in the desert, well, that sort of thing fascinates me.

Mmmm, not really.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 26 Dec 2020, 19:16

jimboo wrote:

Charlie O. wrote:
jimboo wrote:

Mmmm, not really.

If there is another music-oriented message board in Christendom that can produce two opposing views of a Zappa/Beefheart collaboration within a ten minute window, and a witty observational summary drawing attention to this fact within half an hour, then please point me in its direction and I will be eternally grateful.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2020, 19:32

Lord Rother wrote:90% Godawful racket.

:lol:

oooof!

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2020, 19:33

robertff wrote: you also sent me a copy of Fathers Place C. - thanks very much.

Did I....? :?

That was a few years ago Rob

Go on mate, play some of it!

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2020, 19:41

jimboo wrote:Googs, you need bongo fury, every home does.

Agreed!

Beefheart takes lead vocals on six of the nine tracks

Two of various Magic Bands (who also played with Zappa) are present too - Bruce Fowler and Denny Walley

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Dec 2020, 19:49

It was genuinely sweet of Frank to hire Don when no one else would (so to speak). But the results are not happy. It isn't Zappa's best material by a long shot (although Beefheart does manage to manifest more humor out of "Debra Kadabra" than Frank ever put there), and when his band noodles listlessly behind Don's two spoken word pieces you can tell that Frank thinks he's being especially magnanimous and Beef wishes he had his Magic Band back - or even his Tragic Band. Car crash.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2020, 20:25

Charlie O. wrote:Car crash.

Nonsense Chas!

:lol:

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2020, 21:00

I'm not sure everybody has seen this

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 26 Dec 2020, 21:54

LMG wrote:I am a 'sometimes' in that it took me a while to get him, and the revered Trout Mask Replica is an album I admire more than enjoy (...)

This is, to the last word, EXACTLY my take on the Captain...

Only with an added soft spot (see what I did there?) for Lick My Decals Off Baby, because it was the first of his albums I owned.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 26 Dec 2020, 22:07

Neige wrote:
LMG wrote:I am a 'sometimes' in that it took me a while to get him, and the revered Trout Mask Replica is an album I admire more than enjoy (...)

This is, to the last word, EXACTLY my take on the Captain...

Only with an added soft spot (see what I did there?) for Lick My Decals Off Baby, because it was the first of his albums I owned.

I am sure we are not alone!

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 26 Dec 2020, 23:09

Lord Rother wrote:90% Godawful racket.

I take your 90% and raise it another 5%. However, I quite like soft rock classic "Love, will keep us together" he made with Tennille

Return to “Yakety Yak”