MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Samoan » 09 Nov 2020, 19:44

I had to drive down Gatwick airport way early yesterday morning: not an aeroplane in the sky, just rolling banks of fog and suddenly there ahead of me was a large black crow just perched or stood (?) ....can a bird perch on a road ?....directly on one of the white lines of a 4 lane motorway and he or she just let me drive right past at 50 mph, motionless and seemingly unphased.
Do birds do that? Maybe it was ill or injured. I thought it would naturally take fright and fly off as I approached.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Nov 2020, 03:37

Back in early summer I picked a bunch of plums from my tree and infused them in vodka (Stoli), a cinnamon stick and some sugar. I bottled it up today and declare it a success. I sort,of expected the plums to break down over the months but they remained whole for the most part. I’m trying to decide on whether to skin the plums and remove the pits and save the pulp for ice cream or other dessert applications. I really should. I’m very. pleased as these plums lack the flesh and flavor of plums I usually buy and consume but they drop on the ground and make a mess so it was a way to use them. Now to decide on how to mix rhis beverage into a cocktail of some sort. It’s very smooth. I’m guessing about 20% abv.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Nov 2020, 05:29

Excellent!

In anticipation of an otherwise minimalist Pandemic XMAS, I made “Christmas Cake” in the British style. Which, for Americans, is basically fruit cake that will eventually have marzipan and icing. Apparently, the best practice is to do it several months in advance and dump booze on it through the months. I got it done today. So it goes. Hopefully it turns out and my wife likes it. Next stop: mince pies.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 15 Nov 2020, 15:07

Dr. Baron wrote:In anticipation of an otherwise minimalist Pandemic XMAS, I made “Christmas Cake” in the British style. Which, for Americans, is basically fruit cake that will eventually have marzipan and icing. Apparently, the best practice is to do it several months in advance and dump booze on it through the months. I got it done today. So it goes. Hopefully it turns out and my wife likes it. Next stop: mince pies.

Nice!

One Christmas when I was a sprog, I helped mum with the cake icing but it turned out I was over enthusiastic. She was very particular and had her icing gun and range of decorative piping nozzles at the ready and also a tiny bottle of blue food colouring. She used to add the teeniest drop of it to the mix to make it look super-cold icy white but I jogged her arm and it all went to cock on the colour front with extremely blue icing.
We had no more sugar in the cupboard and the shops were shut so that year rather than the annual glacial work of art, we funked it up with all the cheesiest available ornaments - an oversized polar bear loitering by a tiny igloo, a very plump overly-fed robin, Santa and his sleigh (reindeer MIA), masses of tinsel and some fresh holly leaves round the base.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Nov 2020, 17:05

Dr. Baron wrote:Excellent!

In anticipation of an otherwise minimalist Pandemic XMAS, I made “Christmas Cake” in the British style. Which, for Americans, is basically fruit cake that will eventually have marzipan and icing. Apparently, the best practice is to do it several months in advance and dump booze on it through the months. I got it done today. So it goes. Hopefully it turns out and my wife likes it. Next stop: mince pies.

Next stop Spotted Dick
We're way past rhubarb

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 15 Nov 2020, 20:12

The Fish wrote:

Next stop Spotted Dick

Hopefully that’s all in the past now that I’ve been through that course of antibiotics!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 16 Nov 2020, 16:08

Dr. Baron wrote:
The Fish wrote:

Next stop Spotted Dick

Hopefully that’s all in the past now that I’ve been through that course of antibiotics!

You should have said I've got some cream for that and then I could say - It's better with custard
We're way past rhubarb

Flower

Postby Flower » 18 Nov 2020, 12:40

Woke to an un expected dusting of snow on the ground. :o
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 Nov 2020, 22:00

Just heard that a school friend has passed away. I'd known him since the age of 13. We weren't best mates but we got on well. He lent me his copy of God Save The Queen and had similar tastes of music at that time.

I would years later keep bumping into him in town, or going to the football. Facebook brought us back in touch more recent years. We would wish each other a happy birthday and remember when we both had hair.

He found an ulcer on his tongue, turned out to be an aggressive cancer was given 6 months, he managed 9 weeks. 58 years old. He was a lovely guy.

Sail on Raymie.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 20 Nov 2020, 08:27

Jimbly wrote:He found an ulcer on his tongue, turned out to be an aggressive cancer was given 6 months, he managed 9 weeks. 58 years old.

Bloody hell, that's quick.

At 60, I'm starting to have second thoughts about going to the doctor for routine stuff. :|

Anyway, my condolences, Jim.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 20 Nov 2020, 11:51

Neige wrote:
Jimbly wrote:He found an ulcer on his tongue, turned out to be an aggressive cancer was given 6 months, he managed 9 weeks. 58 years old.

Bloody hell, that's quick.

At 60, I'm starting to have second thoughts about going to the doctor for routine stuff. :|

Anyway, my condolences, Jim.

Thanks Felix.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 20 Nov 2020, 13:58

Jimbly wrote:
He found an ulcer on his tongue, turned out to be an aggressive cancer was given 6 months, he managed 9 weeks. 58 years old. He was a lovely guy.

Sail on Raymie.

Good lord. I had an ulcer on my tongue recently that took ages to go away, and I was seriously considering the idea that it might be something worse. It finally went away, but it hurt like a MF while it lasted, and I think I did lasting damage to my jaw just by trying to avoid it rubbing against anything while I was eating or drinking.
I can't imagine what it must've been like for your friend, Jim. Take care.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Nov 2020, 14:39

Jimbly wrote:Just heard that a school friend has passed away. I'd known him since the age of 13. We weren't best mates but we got on well. He lent me his copy of God Save The Queen and had similar tastes of music at that time.

I would years later keep bumping into him in town, or going to the football. Facebook brought us back in touch more recent years. We would wish each other a happy birthday and remember when we both had hair.

Sail on Raymie.

Indeed. Sad news. :(
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Nov 2020, 01:31

Rebecca has made a Pirog pie for dinner tonight. It just went into the oven but it looks fab with the lattice top. Filled with potato, carrot, cabbage, cheese, creme fraiche (instead of sour cream) and bacon. Hell, I’d eat the guts without the pastry but put it in a pie and I’m in heaven.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Nov 2020, 02:56

It was delicious.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 23 Nov 2020, 12:35

Six String wrote:Rebecca has made a Pirog pie for dinner tonight. It just went into the oven but it looks fab with the lattice top. Filled with potato, carrot, cabbage, cheese, creme fraiche (instead of sour cream) and bacon. Hell, I’d eat the guts without the pastry but put it in a pie and I’m in heaven.

That sounds really nice. Bet it smelled good too.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Nov 2020, 14:15

We had a banana spider living on the outside of our back door for a few weeks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichonephila_clavipes

I don't particularly like seeing spiders in "surprise" situations but I'm not frightened of them anymore and these are fabulous. Their webs are like zips of thick, white silk and they are amazing to look at. On the wildlife trail where I walk, they make their homes between the trees and it's pretty common to find them glistening at sunrise and looking pretty ethereal.

Our spider buggered off a couple of weeks ago, but this week I spotted a big egg in a tiny corner in the sidings. This means that in Spring, it'll burst open and we'll have lots of tiny banana spiders running around saying "Momma! Momma!"

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Nov 2020, 16:26

We’ve had garden spiders between our citrus trees from time to time. They can get pretty big and their webs are large and beautiful too. I’m not sure I’ve seen a banana spider before. Will google and check them out.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Nov 2020, 22:58

We had Mike's mum in the house for the first time since March, thanks to a two week quarantine by us all first. It was ace. We sat outside with Baron's brother on the non-quarantined child's table, and feasted on Baron's chestnut and cabbage delight! I only broke one tray of roast potatoes but luckily had another spare. I also burned the bottom of my baps, HO HO HO that'll teach me not to rest them on the oven floor HA HA HA

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Nov 2020, 18:08

Rebecca and I had our sort of kind of Thanksgiving meal last night and I made a new side dish I got from the NYT or maybe it was WAPO for brussel sprouts and gnocchi made with lemon zest, chilli flakes, butter, a tiny bit of honey (1/2 t) and grated parmesan. It turned out fantastic, a definite keeper. We drank a 2002 Premier Cru red Burgundy that was amazing and afterwards I noticed I still have two bottles left for another time. The wine is right where I like it in maturity so happy that I can relive the experience.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”