Sir Douglas Quintet

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: Sir Douglas Quintet

Postby Muskrat » 31 Jul 2015, 23:57

Better than I'd expected, even (my hesitation coming from it being Joe Nick's first effort at that kind of thing -- he did swell), Lots of good musical clips, and the talking heads were great as well.

They've scheduled a second showing this Sunday night.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Aug 2015, 03:41

From Chér's 1968 album Backstage, here's an otherwise-unrecorded (as far as I know) Doug Sahm composition. I don't know how on earth that happened, but I approve. Both the song and Chér's vocal phrasing are so quintessentially Doug it's hilarious.

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Aug 2015, 05:03

So theaters soon, followed by shiny discs?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 01 Sep 2015, 21:18

Whoa, now THAT is a film I want to see!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Nov 2020, 07:30

Charlie O. wrote:And just in case there are any industry moguls lurking here: it's about time somebody reissued the sides Doug cut for the Renner label ca. 1961-'64 - that's some lost gold, right there.

Finally!

His 1959-1961 recordings for Harlem (and associated labels) have been reissued many times before, but this is the first time on CD (to my knowledge) for his twelve 1961-64 Renner sides, his last recordings before teaming up with Huey Meaux and Augie Meyers. (There was an LP comp in the mid-'80s on a tiny Dutch label; otherwise, you could only hear these on the original hard-to-find singles 'til now.) This collection even includes his very first 45, credited to Little Doug, recorded when he was 13!

I'm playing it now - sounds great over my laptop speakers (and not many things do). I'm pretty sure these are mostly if not entirely transfers from the original vinyl, and some of those records weren't well-pressed/mastered to begin with, but on the whole it's very listenable. Compiled and annotated by Roger Dopson.

A few favorites:

"Why, Why, Why" (1960)

"Slow Down" (1961)

"Baby, What's On Your Mind" (1961)

"Two Hearts In Love" (1962)

"Little Angel"/"Cry" (1963)

"A Year Ago Today" (1963)

Sadly, YouTube does not (as of yet) have Doug's great last Renner single - his first crack at "Bill Baety" (later revisited at least twice with the Quintet) b/w the, uhh, cool "Mr. Kool".

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Nov 2020, 13:11

Ah, excellent intelligence, Charlie O.!
I’ll have to get after that.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Nov 2022, 18:42

The movie went out of circulation for rights reasons, but it's back and apparently you can rent it (to stream, I guess) anywhere.
There's a Facebook group for it if you want to keep up with these things: Sir Doug & The Genuine Texas Cosmic Groove. There's also a mailing list, I'm pretty sure.

https://player.sirdougfilm.com/movie/4/purchase
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Dec 2022, 23:01

Damn, forgot all about this thread. I was watching Cisco Pike the other day starring fellow Texan, Kris Kristofferson, and was pleased to see Doug in a scene in a recording studio. The film isn't bad either.

Return to “Yakety Yak”