Music docs w/e Jan 2 - Oxzy O and Iron M

Do talk back
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: While Riot documentary on 1977 RAR gig on Sky Arts tonight

Postby copehead » 23 Oct 2020, 14:46

jimboo wrote:
Copehead wrote:
jimboo wrote:And in the end nothing changed.

I'd take issue with that

Through the decade from the mid 70s to the mid 80s the Fascists attempted to establish themselves on the streets of the UK in the same way that the Brown Shirts had in Germany in the 20s and 30s and they were stopped in that by various left wing groups from Rock Against Racism through to Red Action.

When they marched they met bigger counter demonstrations and were forced off the streets as at Lewisham and Southall in the late 70s, this was organised by RAR, the ANL and various SWP front groups and it was successful int that it forced the far right away from mass action into criminal attacks on BAME people in the community.

I'd suggest it was here in the mid to late 80s that left wing groups that weren't adverse to violence came to the fore - WAR and RA - because when you are facing groups like Combat 18 then passive resistance and debate is not going to work. WAR basically ambushed these people in their attempts to intimidate and attack minorities, especially in the East End and they made it pretty much impossible to continue in any organised fashion.

At this point the far right started dressing up in suits and infiltrating the Tory party, which in the end has brought them a measure of success when you look at what Farage and Patel are suggesting.

So you could say that those attitudes still exist and they are coming to the fore again today but it appears to be largely the same age group to me, they appear to have little or no traction in the under 30s.

So was it Red Action busting heads or was it MDMA? A bit of both; RA took out the hard core and MDMA did for the less committed, but when was the last time we saw large scale organised street action by the far right in the UK? So something changed.

Yeah, that's an excitable tale of derring do and lore. It also ends as you would expect.
If you are black in this country NOTHING changed.
They don't march anymore the far right. They just quietly get voted in and carry on like they did then and like they do now. Despite what indie kid students reminiscing over a few beers 40 years later like to think , alas.

I think a fair bit changed; not so much in how the state treats BAME people as a threat rather than as a citizen but at least BAME communities aren't having burning rags pushed through their letter boxes and bricks through their windows or 10,000 fascists marching down their local high streets these days.

The defeat of the organised far right as a presence on the streets was real and tangible.

For the rest of it I wouldn't argue with you, but I think you down play the threat posed by the far right in the 70s and 80s as a street force for the simple reason that it doesn't exist these days and so it it is hard to believe what a terrifying presence they were to many BAME communities.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 23 Oct 2020, 17:31

One Specific thing I could say that changed as a result of AFA activity Was that The BM and NF were prevented From marching to the cenotaph on Remembrance Day in the late 80s early 90s And to my knowledge Stopped for good.

Sometimes it’s enough to just demonstrate that there is opposition - and that there’s more of us than them.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 23 Oct 2020, 18:13

Deebank wrote:One Specific thing I could say that changed as a result of AFA activity Was that The BM and NF were prevented From marching to the cenotaph on Remembrance Day in the late 80s early 90s And to my knowledge Stopped for good.

Sometimes it’s enough to just demonstrate that there is opposition - and that there’s more of us than them.

Yeah, now they lay the wreaths instead. I agree about demonstrating your opposition but then racists and bigots don't need to shout it from the streets do they? Institutional racism and the real damage is in the silent majority? and the X on a voting paper. Thick skins up for a fight controlled by un votable ss memorabilia Wannabees v well meaning students at the weekend and back home for tea. It really hasn't got any better in anyway has it.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

`

Re: Music docs on Sky Arts - The Style Council Sat 31/10

Postby ` » 31 Oct 2020, 11:02

Didn't realise they'd lasted for six years! Hope the doc's a bit shorter

There's also an interesting looking doc on punk and new wave on BBC4 next Friday

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 02 Nov 2020, 10:25

I wish they would do something on the Liverpool scene at Eric's with big in Japan and the early crucial three and how an explosion of bands just seemed to appear. Much more interesting than the Style council.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 02 Nov 2020, 10:46

I watched the doc over the weekend. I enjoyed it, its refreshing to watch a documentary thas not about solo PW or the over-analysed punk era. What I didn't know is that the SC was essentially two guys, including Paul. I always thought it was a large band, how they typically appeared live.

Where's a good place to start album-wise. Café Bleu seems like their "Revolver" ?

Also did Lenny Kravitz nick "You're the Best Thing..." for "It Aint Over..." -- they're like for like!

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 02 Nov 2020, 10:55

Tactful Cactus wrote:Where's a good place to start album-wise. Café Bleu seems like their "Revolver" ?

Café Bleu and Introducing (mini album mopping up the first few singles which were great) will be a great 'intro',

I'd follow these up with Our favourite Shop and Confessions Of A Pop Group.
Give a shit or be a shit.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 02 Nov 2020, 12:51

Tactful Cactus wrote:I watched the doc over the weekend. I enjoyed it, its refreshing to watch a documentary thas not about solo PW or the over-analysed punk era. What I didn't know is that the SC was essentially two guys, including Paul. I always thought it was a large band, how they typically appeared live.

Where's a good place to start album-wise. Café Bleu seems like their "Revolver" ?

Also did Lenny Kravitz nick "You're the Best Thing..." for "It Aint Over..." -- they're like for like!

Don't bother. It's soundtrack music for romantic afternoon movies on channel 5.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 02 Nov 2020, 16:16

jimboo wrote:Don't bother. It's soundtrack music for romantic afternoon movies on channel 5.

Haha... are you one of those "Jam4Life" fans that felt utterly betrayed by what Weller did to you? :D

Well you're too late, I watched the doc and I like it. 2020's is so 80's centric-now that Style Council have come full circle. That sound is fresh again.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 02 Nov 2020, 17:58

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:Where's a good place to start album-wise. Café Bleu seems like their "Revolver" ?

Café Bleu and Introducing (mini album mopping up the first few singles which were great) will be a great 'intro',

I'd follow these up with Our favourite Shop and Confessions Of A Pop Group.

Thanks Tom!

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 02 Nov 2020, 21:03

Tactful Cactus wrote:
jimboo wrote:Don't bother. It's soundtrack music for romantic afternoon movies on channel 5.

Haha... are you one of those "Jam4Life" fans that felt utterly betrayed by what Weller did to you? :D

Well you're too late, I watched the doc and I like it. 2020's is so 80's centric-now that Style Council have come full circle. That sound is fresh again.

Not really no. I am one of those people for whom the past isn't a Butlins Weekender with Gary Davis on the decks .

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 02 Nov 2020, 23:52

Ready to watch sometime this week. Never a Jam fan, no time for Weller solo, but enjoy the singles made by Style Council although never owned an album by them. Also thought D.C. Lee was an awfully weak vocalist. Think I'm talking myself out of watching it now.

`

Postby ` » 03 Nov 2020, 12:49

jimboo wrote:

the past isn't a Butlins Weekender with Gary Davis on the decks.

LP Hartley eat your heart out!

Artgar

Postby Artgar » 03 Nov 2020, 13:52

jimboo wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:

Not really no. I am one of those people for whom the past isn't a Butlins Weekender with Gary Davis on the decks .

well said!
bingleton

`

Re: Music docs on Sky Arts - David Crosby Sat 14/11

Postby ` » 14 Nov 2020, 08:50

Well received David Crosby doc, Remember My Name, tonight and Irvine Welsh on
the importance of being able to offend people (Offensive) on Tues
Last edited by ` on 14 Nov 2020, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Nov 2020, 10:46

Sam Stone wrote:Well received David Crosby doc, Remember My Name, tonight

Thanks Samuel

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

`

Postby ` » 14 Nov 2020, 11:24

You're welcome.

While I've not heard any of them, he's apparently produced a run of three or four excellent albums these last few years.

Quite looking forward to seeing this as the Cros has had an interesting life to say the least

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Nov 2020, 14:45

Sam Stone wrote:Quite looking forward to seeing this as the Cros has had an interesting life to say the least

I am really looking forward to it!

I remember reading this in the late 1980s - a good read and very interesting...

Keep the good work Samuel - I often miss stuff like the Lynyrd Skynyrd doc from a few weeks ago. God knows when that'll resurface

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 14 Nov 2020, 16:55

I didn’t realise Sky Arts was now on Freeview and retuned the Humax yesterday in anticipation.

I have Laurel Canyon on the planner, but didn’t bother with the Crosby doc.

You can have too much of a good thing.

`

Postby ` » 14 Nov 2020, 17:03

soundchaser wrote:I didn’t realise Sky Arts was now on Freeview and retuned the Humax yesterday in anticipation.

I have Laurel Canyon on the planner, but didn’t bother with the Crosby doc.

You can have too much of a good thing.

Drugs, guns, gaol vs a bunch of wimps in cheesecloth shirts singing about their ladies?

It’s no contest down our way!

Return to “Yakety Yak”