Every Neil Young album ranked, all 45 of them

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Every Neil Young album ranked, all 45 of them

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2020, 04:49

Top 10 is a given, only the order may you quibble about: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... lDXOY_TBlg

Comes a Time I might put a little lower, in favor of Ragged Glory.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Every Neil Young album ranked, all 45 of them

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2020, 04:51

I own a worrying number of the titles in the lower reaches...
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

`

Postby ` » 06 Nov 2020, 05:22

The execrable Landing on Water is ranked rather high...

Given the strange inconsistencies (they include OSTs for self-indigent cinematic snooze fests like Paradox, but hot Journey through the Past and almost totally ignore non-Archive live albums), Wonder what criteria were used to compile the list.

Other quibbles aside, it’s hard to disagree with the top 10.
Last edited by ` on 06 Nov 2020, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Nov 2020, 05:34

His debut appears to be totally underrated, and I can’t imagine how anyone could disagree that “After the Gold Rush” is Number 1.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 06 Nov 2020, 06:29

I really like Harvest; probably because of associations with the times I was first listening to it, but anyway...
And I love the bombastic arrangement of A Man Needs A Maid.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2020, 06:58

Rorschach wrote:I really like Harvest; probably because of associations with the times I was first listening to it, but anyway...
And I love the bombastic arrangement of A Man Needs A Maid.

Jack Nitzsche ! 8-)

`

Postby ` » 06 Nov 2020, 07:14

Dr. Baron wrote:I can’t imagine how anyone could disagree that “After the Gold Rush” is Number 1.

OTB or TTN would be my subjective view, and I would imagine probably that of quite a few other Rusties here.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 06 Nov 2020, 08:08

Sam Stone wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:I can’t imagine how anyone could disagree that “After the Gold Rush” is Number 1.

OTB or TTN would be my subjective view, and I would imagine probably that of quite a few other Rusties here.

I wouldn't get cross at any of the three you two mention being number one, but my personal choice would be EKTIN
Bugger off.

`

Postby ` » 06 Nov 2020, 08:35

Rorschach wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:

I wouldn't get cross at any of the three you two mention being number one, but my personal choice would be EKTIN

Given the undeniable quality of the uppermost part of Petridis' list and the fact that we're all going to have our own personal number ones, a more interesting area of discussion might be personal faves that are ranked lower than we feel they should be.

Quite a lot of people in the Gruaniad's Comment is Free section are arguing that Harvest (easily his most commercially successful album) should be higher than 17th. I'd love to have seen albums like SAG and PW a bit higher than their currently low ratings

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 06 Nov 2020, 10:22

Sleeps with Angels seems rather high. I guess it captured sort of a zeitgeist, and it was actually the first Young album I bought (being a child of the grunge/britpop era) but with one or two exceptions the songs aren't very strong and it was a very bad introduction to Young, it took me much longer than it should have to go back to the proper stuff.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Nov 2020, 12:16

Rorschach wrote:I really like Harvest.

A seminally robust album -no idea why it's been ranked so low (17)

Last edited by C on 06 Nov 2020, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Nov 2020, 12:20

Geezee wrote:Sleeps with Angels seems rather high.

Agreed

Of the 'recent' ones Le Noise (14) is about right - it's very good album as is Psychedelic Pill (23) and Chrome Dreams II (26) which should be higher

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Nov 2020, 12:22

Rust Never Sleeps is a very good album but not that good.

As the Baron quite rightly states that pole position is for After the Goldrush

`

Postby ` » 06 Nov 2020, 12:31

Geezee wrote:Sleeps with Angels seems rather high. I guess it captured sort of a zeitgeist, and it was actually the first Young album I bought (being a child of the grunge/britpop era) but with one or two exceptions the songs aren't very strong and it was a very bad introduction to Young, it took me much longer than it should have to go back to the proper stuff.

While SWA is the last of the six excellent NY albums that started with 1989's Freedom and - arguably - comprises his creative second wind, It is an odd place to start.

The big talking point about the album at the time seemed to be Curt Kobain's referencing of Rust Never Sleeps in his suicide note.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Nov 2020, 12:34

Dr. Baron wrote:His debut appears to be totally underrated, and I can’t imagine how anyone could disagree that “After the Gold Rush” is Number 1.

To be clear, it isn’t my favorite. I just think it’s pretty obviously his strongest record.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 06 Nov 2020, 12:42

Sam Stone wrote:
Geezee wrote:Sleeps with Angels seems rather high. I guess it captured sort of a zeitgeist, and it was actually the first Young album I bought (being a child of the grunge/britpop era) but with one or two exceptions the songs aren't very strong and it was a very bad introduction to Young, it took me much longer than it should have to go back to the proper stuff.

While SWA is the last of the six excellent NY albums that started with 1989's Freedom and - arguably - comprises his creative second wind, It is an odd place to start.

The big talking point about the album at the time seemed to be Curt Kobain's referencing of Rust Never Sleeps in his suicide note.

And given that he was touring with Pearl Jam and Sonic Youth, and recorded Mirror Ball soon after, there was a real connection with the grunge kids at the time (and I believe it was the first album to be released after Cobain's death that really responded to and addressed it fairly directly with the title track - and teens like me were gobbling up anything like that). It gives it a vague 90s Tonight's the Night vibe, but clearly a much weaker album. I picked it up again a couple of years ago having really not listened to it for the best part of 20 years and i was really wondering how it would hold up. It's not great.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

robertff

Postby robertff » 06 Nov 2020, 14:22

Don’t really understand the dismissive comments with regard to Sleeps With Angels and certainly agree with its high placing. I would also argue that Harvest Moon should be higher than it is - excellent album, my go to album these days for NY.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Nov 2020, 14:32

Harvest moon always feels like it's for middle aged couples to shuffle around on the carpet when they had too much wine. It's , whiney ,even mawkish.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 Nov 2020, 15:09

American Stars and Bars and Harvest are both too low
Hawks and Doves should be higher too

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 Nov 2020, 16:04

Top ten would be something like this

On the Beach
Tonights the Night