Tyrannosaurus Rex and T Rex

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Tyrannosaurus Rex and T Rex

Postby C » 12 Sep 2020, 13:30

robertff wrote:Image

This is the only one I really liked, the transition album. Actually saw them play live at this time, pretty good. Have got some of their other albums either side of this one but not much bothered about them.

The beginning of the end

I Like it

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Oct 2020, 18:32

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Oct 2020, 18:57

Charlie O. wrote:As I hear it, the first T. Rex album is really the last Tyrannosaurus Rex album. They changed the brand name, but not the approach so much.

Agreed Chas

I thought for decades that the Tyrannosaurus Rex album after A Beard of Stars was called T Rex.

Johnny Slider corrected me but I am still not convinced he is correct!

T. Rex is a very good album

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Oct 2020, 22:59

kath wrote:

This is the only one I really liked, the transition album. Actually saw them play live at this time, pretty good. Have got some of their other albums either side of this one but not much bothered about them.

this is the tyr rex album i won off the radio, and i don't even recall a track from it.

i need to explore all this more over the weekend. (scribbles it down in her notebook. old school, people.)

I had that one too along with Electric Warriorback in the 70s. The only track I remember on that one above is Ride A White Swan. His lyrics were shite and his music was pretty ordinary.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 19 Oct 2020, 23:11

Six String wrote:
kath wrote:

this is the tyr rex album i won off the radio, and i don't even recall a track from it.

i need to explore all this more over the weekend. (scribbles it down in her notebook. old school, people.)

I had that one too along with Electric Warriorback in the 70s. The only track I remember on that one above is Ride A White Swan. His lyrics were shite and his music was pretty ordinary.

i love ride a white swan. mwhahaha. oh yes i do. it was one of the beezle's fave tracks. she got turned onto it from the movie billy elliot, which she adored. it makes me bouncebouncebounce all around the premises.

different strokes and all, of course.

::smack::

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Oct 2020, 23:34

Bunch of good songs on that one. "Jewel", "Summer Deep", "Seagull Woman", the remake of "One Inch Rock"... "The Wizard" could have used some editing, mind.

kath

Postby kath » 19 Oct 2020, 23:44

Charlie O. wrote:Bunch of good songs on that one. "Jewel", "Summer Deep", "Seagull Woman", the remake of "One Inch Rock"... "The Wizard" could have used some editing, mind.

i need to relisten, i do. i can't remember a damn thing anymore. (okay, well, i can recall ridiculous minutia from this board a decade ago, but i forget my male spawn's name. on my birthday, i pulled out the walkie talkies so he could wait on me, mwhahaha. and i kept sayin, "(crackle of static) get over here, bastard jr. i need x."

at one point he got this sheepish grin, and he said his gramma (my ma, whom he absolutely adored, just like everyone else who ever met her) ... one time called him "henry". this was after her stroke.

my ma used to call reap "doodad". he was very proud of that fact, mwhahaha. he would sign christmas cards "doodad".

anywayyy, i didn't even remember ride a white swan was on that album. sigh. maybe vitamins would help. yeah.

more than likely i'll just drink more. i've got til the election is over. then i hafta... heal.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Oct 2020, 23:56

FWIW, "Ride A White Swan" was only on the American version of the album (which you, of course, would have had). It was earlier released here on a different label as a Tyrannosaurus Rex 45, if memory serves.

edit: my memory did serve, but it gets weirder - it was also a bonus 45 with at least one US pressing of A Beard Of Stars!

kath

Postby kath » 20 Oct 2020, 00:04

Charlie O. wrote:FWIW, "Ride A White Swan" was only on the American version of the album (which you, of course, would have had). It was earlier released here on a different label as a Tyrannosaurus Rex 45, if memory serves.

it's funny... when i was a wayward yute, i was skin broke. and one of the major ways i scored albums was to win em off the radio. fastest dialer in the south. i don't know if you remember this, but when you won a promotional copy, they would actually take a hole-puncher and punch a hole in the cover, so *allegedly* you wouldn't be able to resell it. mwhaha. not that i ever resold anything, but it *was* pretty fucquin stupid.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Oct 2020, 00:10

kath wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:FWIW, "Ride A White Swan" was only on the American version of the album (which you, of course, would have had). It was earlier released here on a different label as a Tyrannosaurus Rex 45, if memory serves.

it's funny... when i was a wayward yute, i was skin broke. and one of the major ways i scored albums was to win em off the radio. fastest dialer in the south. i don't know if you remember this, but when you won a promotional copy, they would actually take a hole-puncher and punch a hole in the cover, so *allegedly* you wouldn't be able to resell it. mwhaha. not that i ever resold anything, but it *was* pretty fucquin stupid.

Oh, of course I remember. Or they'd cut a corner off, or put a notch (sawmark) in it. They did the same with CDs later - most often a hole punched through the barcode, but the hole in corner of booklet/cut off corner/sawmark methods were (are?) used too.

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Oct 2020, 06:08

kath wrote:
Six String wrote:
kath wrote:

i love ride a white swan. mwhahaha. oh yes i do. it was one of the beezle's fave tracks. she got turned onto it from the movie billy elliot, which she adored. it makes me bouncebouncebounce all around the premises.

different strokes and all, of course.

::smack::

I loved the music when it was fresh. It just didn’t “stick.”
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Oct 2020, 10:27

Charlie O. wrote:FWIW, "Ride A White Swan" was only on the American version of the album (which you, of course, would have had).

It replaced the UK version's last track: The Children of Rarn (Reprise)

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 20 Oct 2020, 20:39

I have a lot more time for T. Rex than C does, but A Beard Of Stars is my favourite album of his.

My wife has always been a huge fan and she’s really missed our annual T.Rexstasy gig.

We must have seen them getting on for 20 times now. Put a Little Marc in your heart.

kath

Postby kath » 20 Oct 2020, 20:54

Charlie O. wrote:
kath wrote:

Oh, of course I remember. Or they'd cut a corner off, or put a notch (sawmark) in it. They did the same with CDs later - most often a hole punched through the barcode, but the hole in corner of booklet/cut off corner/sawmark methods were (are?) used too.

i am glad you remember it. mwhaha. i like my lil sanity checks.

i missed all that with CDs. by the time i started buyin CDs, i was just too busy to do any of my old music-hunting and scrounging around for good deals and all. i did that with vinyl, not with CD. i had a crap-paying job, mind ya, but i just went ahead and bought what i wanted in stores and eventually online. it was much later when i met reap, who was a real pro with that kinda stuff, as i am sure most of y'all are around here.

the hole-punching bothered me though. you know i love covers. i always have. it was a ... violation, dammit.

p.s. it's clear i need to listen to beard of stars, too

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 20 Oct 2020, 21:36

I have come to believe that Unicorn is actually the best Tyrannosaurus Rex album (though Beard of Stars is close).

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 27 Oct 2020, 09:45

Unicorn and Prophets are equal top.
I don't really care for Beard or T.Rex too much.
They both fall between two stools in my book.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 13 Jan 2021, 16:47

This popped up in my in-tray. I suspect that it'll be of interest if it's not been posted on another thread..

(I spotted Nick Kent at the start, looking pretty happy for a change.)

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 13 Jan 2021, 21:23

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:This popped up in my in-tray. I suspect that it'll be of interest if it's not been posted on another thread..

(I spotted Nick Kent at the start, looking pretty happy for a change.)

I think this was included in the bonus footage on the Born to Boogie DVD which included both concerts from that day, wonderful stuff.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 14 Jan 2021, 12:49

That whole set is great
The film, the two concerts and the documentary
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Jan 2021, 13:04

The Slider wrote:Unicorn and Prophets

Very robust albums.

Unicorn is my second fave

ABoS is always my go to Rex album but Unicorn is not too far behind.

As somebody pointed out earlier T.Rex is quite seminal but could've done with a bit of editing - we all know where.

Funnily I don't think that with Elemental Child...

I had the pleasure of seeing Tyrannosaurus Rex twice, on the Unicorn and Beard tours, and having a short chat with mark about his cut finger but I am sure I have told you all that umpteen times previously...

LET's ROCK!

Return to “Yakety Yak”