The Allman Brothers: Trouble No More - 50th anniversary collection

Do talk back
C
Robust

The Allman Brothers: Trouble No More - 50th anniversary collection

Postby C » 14 Jul 2020, 20:35

Product description:
The Allman Brothers Band formed in 1969 with founding members Duane Allman, Jaimoe, Berry Oakley, Dickey Betts, Butch Trucks, and Gregg Allman. The band's very first informal jam together was a Muddy Waters song, 'Trouble No More', which shortly after became the very first song they officially demo'd together. It has remained unreleased until now, and kicks off this 50th anniversary collection. The box set was produced by Allman Brothers historians and aficionados Bill Levenson, John Lynskey and Kirk West. This 5-CD edition includes an 88-page booklet and is housed in a 12-panel softpack with a slipcase. Each CD is a thematic overview of the various stages of the band's recording and performance history. The box set also includes an 8,900+ word essay on the 50-year history of the band by John Lynskey, unreleased band photos along with newly-shot photos of memorabilia from the Big House Museum in Macon, GA and a recap of the 13 incarnations of the band line-up

I have been giving this a bashing - it is very robust (of course)

Anybody else familiar?

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: The Allman Brothers: Trouble No More - 50th anniversary collection

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Jul 2020, 05:15

I'll be getting this one. The Allmans had one of the very first box sets, LP-sized, back in 1990 or thereabouts. I never got around to buying that one, and a lot has happened since.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 15 Jul 2020, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Jul 2020, 05:17

I saw them with Dickey Betts around the same time. Was allowed in about 30 min. into the set, after winning a lottery draw for return tickets to that sold-out concert. Never got the chance again.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jul 2020, 05:44

From what I've read I have too much of the content to make it worth my $. If one has little of their oeuvre it would be a good box to own. i find most box sets unwieldy which discourages me from playing them.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Jul 2020, 05:47

GoogaMooga wrote:I'll be getting this one. The Allmans had one of the very first box sets, LP-sized, back in 1990 or thereabouts. I never got around to buying that one, and a lot has happened since.

That was a good one if you are speaking of Dreams. I ended up buying the vinyl version used. It was cheap and there was a fair amount of rare tracks I didn't own so it made it worth it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 15 Jul 2020, 09:38

Six String wrote:From what I've read I have too much of the content to make it worth my $. If one has little of their oeuvre it would be a good box to own. i find most box sets unwieldy which discourages me from playing them.

I agree Les.

I rarely buy box sets because I tend to play them once and archive them.

Some of the massive sets are just, as you say, so unwieldy and overwhelming!

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 18 Jul 2020, 14:17

Those looking for unwieldy and overwhelming should collect the Grateful Dead. 30 Years Around The Sun, for example, which is 80 CDs taken from 30 shows, one for each year of the band's existence. Getting on for one month's wages:

Luckily, if you buy this, your wife or girlfriend leaves you, thus giving you the needed time to digest it fully.

:lol:
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jul 2020, 15:16

LMG wrote:Luckily, if you buy this, your wife or girlfriend leaves you, thus giving you the needed :lol: time to digest it fully.

Assuming one is male and that one is in a heterosexual relationship!

`

Postby ` » 18 Jul 2020, 15:20

LMG wrote:Those looking for unwieldy and overwhelming should collect the Grateful Dead. 30 Years Around The Sun, for example, which is 80 CDs taken from 30 shows, one for each year of the band's existence. Getting on for one month's wages:

Luckily, if you buy this, your wife or girlfriend leaves you, thus giving you the needed time to digest it fully.

The only girlfriend anyone mad enough to buy that might have is of the inflatable kind

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jul 2020, 15:53

Sam Stone wrote:
LMG wrote:

The only girlfriend anyone mad enough to buy that might have is of the inflatable kind

:lol: :lol:

robertff

Postby robertff » 18 Jul 2020, 17:12

C wrote:
Six String wrote:From what I've read I have too much of the content to make it worth my $. If one has little of their oeuvre it would be a good box to own. i find most box sets unwieldy which discourages me from playing them.

I agree Les.

I rarely buy box sets because I tend to play them once and archive them.

Some of the massive sets are just, as you say, so unwieldy and overwhelming!

Tend to agree with you C. although some of these are delightful to own. Think I rarely play any bonus tracks at all these days especially things like demos, different takes, unreleased material etc. tend to feel that it they weren't good enough before they're not good enough now, generally speaking I find that to be true.

Not sure I can think of any bonus track that wasn't a single previously (eg Virginia Plain) that should have replaced other originally chosen tracks.

Return to “Yakety Yak”