Discuss your two greatest musical heroes...

Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Discuss your two greatest musical heroes...

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Jun 2020, 22:08

I'm a big fan of both. I can appreciate where Dave's coming from regarding Frank. After a while (say by at least the mid '70s) the humor was on par with junior high school locker room jokes - this hurts Zappa's rep more than anything else in my estimation. The music however, was always good.

Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull (is there a difference?) was extremely consistent for a long time. Tull's glory years would probably extend from '68 - '79. Not every album is as good as the best, but even the weaker ones have something to offer. Of course, if they're not your thing then you're not going to feel that they're consistent.

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Jun 2020, 09:31

C wrote:
robertff wrote:

Got quite a lot of Zappa/Mothers albums C. they all leave me wondering what I'm missing - if anything? Hot Rats is the only one that I think I actually like.

Burnt Weeny Sandwich?
Waka Jawaka?
The Grand Wazoo?
One Size Fits All?

Counted 19 Zappa/Mothers albums in my collection, have got Burnt Weeny and thought I had One Size but can't locate it currently. He just doesn't do anything for me C. particularly the smutty juvenile schoolboy 'humour' stuff. I do like some of his album covers though, which is what probably led me to buying the albums in the first place.

As I mentioned previously most of these I acquired in the great vinyl throw away for less than 50 p each in many cases. Some might say that was too much!

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Jun 2020, 10:10

robertff wrote:
C wrote:Burnt Weeny Sandwich?
Waka Jawaka?
The Grand Wazoo?
One Size Fits All?

He just doesn't do anything for me C. particularly the smutty juvenile schoolboy 'humour' stuff. I do like some of his album covers though, which is what probably led me to buying the albums in the first place.

As I mentioned previously most of these I acquired in the great vinyl throw away for less than 50 p each in many cases. Some might say that was too much!

Fair points well made Rob

Re: the humour stuff - that is why I selected the four above - they are humour-free!

You have given him a good go though - one can't ask for more!

Nineteen albums - hopefully they wren't too humour-loaded!!

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 26 Jun 2020, 21:15

C wrote:
Positive Passion wrote: I only have one or two.

Which are lad?

Which are....??

With such a wide range of genres that Zappa's music covers, is that enough to give a 'full' judgement?

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising that view - it's just an observation

Hot rats and ship arriving too late... i have heard more, just haven't bought them

Return to “Yakety Yak”