Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace doc

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace doc

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Mar 2020, 22:32

First I got the 2 CD fatboy, played it a few times. Years later, I got the expanded digipak, played it once. Then, in 2019, Sydney Pollack's never completed film footage was shined up and released as a documentary. A very fascinating doc, which takes us back to 1972, when Aretha was on top of the world. It has already been hailed as one of the great music films, and it is certainly fascinating to see the attention to detail, you get right into the spirit of things, all sweat-soaked and effervescent, pure joy. Gospel is great, but if you have ever had reservations about Aretha's wailing, be warned, the title song is wailed beyond recognition and goes on seemingly forever, every last vowel, every last syllable. And so the concert goes, on and on, until it makes you long for something a little more secular, a little more succinct, a pop hit like "Respect" or "Chain of Fools".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace doc

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Mar 2020, 03:13

GoogaMooga wrote:Image

And so the concert goes, on and on, until it makes you long for something a little more secular, a little more succinct, a pop hit like "Respect" or "Chain of Fools".

No, it doesn’t.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Mar 2020, 03:49

You seem to be permanently opposed to everything I write. With usually just a snappy, sarky remark. I wouldn't mind so much - it is fair to disagree - if you would provide just a little more counter-argument.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Mar 2020, 09:15

GoogaMooga wrote:You seem to be permanently opposed to everything I write.

No I don’t.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Mar 2020, 14:37

GoogaMooga wrote:Gospel is great, but if you have ever had reservations about Aretha's wailing, be warned, the title song is wailed beyond recognition and goes on seemingly forever, every last vowel, every last syllable. And so the concert goes, on and on, until it makes you long for something a little more secular, a little more succinct, a pop hit like "Respect" or "Chain of Fools".

Do you also prefer Julie Andrews' take on "My Favorite Things" to John Coltrane's?

You can like what you like, but for me, the footage and recording reveals something much deeper and even more incredible about Aretha Franklin that her records only hint at. It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Mar 2020, 15:29

Still Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Gospel is great, but if you have ever had reservations about Aretha's wailing, be warned, the title song is wailed beyond recognition and goes on seemingly forever, every last vowel, every last syllable. And so the concert goes, on and on, until it makes you long for something a little more secular, a little more succinct, a pop hit like "Respect" or "Chain of Fools".

Do you also prefer Julie Andrews' take on "My Favorite Things" to John Coltrane's?

You can like what you like, but for me, the footage and recording reveals something much deeper and even more incredible about Aretha Franklin that her records only hint at. It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Your first question is apples vs oranges, but to answer it, Trane.

As for the second part, you are right insofar as Aretha reveals something profound and soul-searing in that performance. To me, a little restraint and more nuances would have had a greater effect. Notice that the backing choir, which is more straightforward, but powerful in numbers, not just augments, but also tempers her emotional outpouring. So it's down to perspective, like you say.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 17 Mar 2020, 01:07

I just don't know anyone watches that film and wishes for something else to be happening.

I just cry and cry like a little baby.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”