guacamole
86%

Total votes: 7

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Salsa or guacamole?

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Feb 2020, 13:49

Guacamole.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: Salsa or guacamole?

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Feb 2020, 14:08

It is not an either/or choice.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 28 Feb 2020, 14:46

guacamole over Salsa but prefer both!

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Feb 2020, 14:53

I love and use/eat both but voted for guacamole.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Feb 2020, 14:54

Either as long as they’re home made

The bought versions are crap with salsa being slightly less vile than guacamole.

I love anything involving lime juice and coriander.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Feb 2020, 16:01

I used to alternate between the two, but as I usually dip chili nachos, I like the soft contrast that guacamole offers. I just buy the dip - get a high priced one, and it will be okay.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Feb 2020, 20:32

Choosing between the two is like choosing between wearing either pants or a shirt when you leave the house. One might be better than the other but you really need both.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Feb 2020, 21:40

OR??
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Feb 2020, 21:42

If I lived in Northern Europe, of course, I’d happily go without both of them.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Robert

Postby Robert » 28 Feb 2020, 21:49

Still Baron wrote:If I lived in Northern Europe, of course, I’d happily go without both of them.

Why? I do live there but wouldn’t want to be without either.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Feb 2020, 23:18

Robert wrote:
Still Baron wrote:If I lived in Northern Europe, of course, I’d happily go without both of them.

Because cruel experience has taught me that eating this sort of thing north of Waco and/or east of Houston is a terrible idea. Northern Europe is both north of Waco and east of Houston.

It is true that there are pockets of Chicago and New York City (and possibly other places) where one can get good Mexican food of one variety or another, but when I am in those places, it isn't what I'm looking for.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Feb 2020, 00:56

I don't know what the big deal is with Salsa really..it's nothing special.
I do like guacamole though and, unlike Deebank, I'm quite happy to buy it from the supermarket!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Feb 2020, 01:01

Still Baron wrote:
Robert wrote:

Because cruel experience has taught me that eating this sort of thing north of Waco and/or east of Houston is a terrible idea. Northern Europe is both north of Waco and east of Houston.

It is true that there are pockets of Chicago and New York City (and possibly other places) where one can get good Mexican food of one variety or another, but when I am in those places, it isn't what I'm looking for.

It's just mashed up avocado and chilli for. goodness sake, anyone can make it. I don''t get this purism when it comes to food.

Robert

Postby Robert » 29 Feb 2020, 10:28

The Modernist wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
Robert wrote:

It's just mashed up avocado and chilli for. goodness sake, anyone can make it. I don''t get this purism when it comes to food.

Wait till you hear him on the notion of putting beans in chili! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Feb 2020, 11:27

The Modernist wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
Robert wrote:

Well, it’s not beyond the wit of man to get hold of some decent ripe avocados or nice tomatoes wherever you are in the world.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Feb 2020, 11:36

The Modernist wrote:I don't know what the big deal is with Salsa really..it's nothing special.
I do like guacamole though and, unlike Deebank, I'm quite happy to buy it from the supermarket!

Nasty grey sludge when as you said yourself it’s just a few simple ingredients?

With salsa it’s a bit of a faff peeling and deseeding tonnes of tomatoes admittedly, but worth it because bought salsa tends to be a bit bland.

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Feb 2020, 13:14

With the advent of cook books, any item, with the proper ingredients, can be properly prepared anywhere. Even places like Grimsey Island might have great salsa and/or guacamole.

I'm a native New Yorker but concede that great pizza can be found outside of NYC. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 29 Feb 2020, 14:07

I was assuming that Googa was referring to something he was buying in a store, which is guaranteed to be appalling. It is true that nowadays you can buy most ingredients anywhere and the ingredients for salsa and guacamole aren't necessarily exotic (except perhaps for certain chiles you might be using for different salsas). Indeed, I made some downright serviceable guacamole this year for a new year's party in Bingley, despite the appalling avocados, cilantro, and lime available in the local Asda. But I'm not talking about what I could theoretically make myself, but instead what is generally available out and about. I try to avoid being a food bore on the internet because it is unquestionably boring, and I don't believe in "purity" in most respects. Nevertheless, it IS fun. And though I was not raised on any recognized great world cuisine (my mother's attempts to cook through the Julia Child/PIerre Franey American/French canon, notwithstanding) I WAS raised on several local specialties, including salsa and guacamole. And experience has taught me that, even if everyone has access to avocados, limes, salt, and cilantro, that doesn't mean that their guacamole will do anything other than disappoint me. And the very strong odds are that I won't be happy with those things as they are prepared outside of South Texas, Mexico, or parts of the American Southwest. Someone raised in Whitby isn't going to be happy about the fish and chips they get in Boise, even if it is, after all, only cod, potatoes, hot fat, and some batter. And so if I'm living in Northern Europe, I'm more inclined just to give the Southwestern American/Mexican offerings a miss, except for the time or three a year that I'm feeling motivated enough to make my own. And even then, the tortilla chips available are guaranteed to be fucking dreadful.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Feb 2020, 16:06

What do you think of Doritos, Baron?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Feb 2020, 16:10

Deebank wrote:
Nasty grey sludge when as you said yourself it’s just a few simple ingredients?

completely wrong, it's nasty green sludge..green. :)

Return to “Nextdoorland”