31%
Trump
3%

Total votes: 36

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: BCBs Favourite Post-War US President

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Jan 2020, 18:54

The Prof wrote:I think luck played a large part in the Cuban missile crisis. A Russian submarine almost fired a nuclear weapon thinking war had already broken out.

Kennedy had charisma and a, sort of, relate-ability.
Not an exact science but more Democrat Presidents seem to be like this than Republicans.

Only to your overtly left-wing sensibilities. You like Democrats because they're not awful Republicans.

Many people liked Reagan precisely because of this characteristic.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 28 Jan 2020, 20:50

Sadly, he was an awful Republican.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Jan 2020, 09:28

Jimbo wrote:
Geezee wrote:
KeithPratt wrote:The argument is that by placing missiles in Turkey Kennedy created the crisis in the first place.

it is Krushchev who deserves most if not all the credit here.

:shock:

?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 02 Feb 2020, 14:26

Yeah, I though so.

Chomsky himself perceptively observed, Republican Richard Nixon was “the last liberal president.” Nixon created the EPA and OSHA, recognized the People’s Republic of China, supported the equal rights amendment, expanded food stamps and welfare assistance, substantially cut military spending, and signed a suite of environmental and affirmative action acts. Since Tricky Dick, virtually no major progressive legislation has passed.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/liberal-e ... on/264460/
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 06 Feb 2020, 09:08

I wouldn't say favourite, but the three US Presidents that I find most interesting are Truman (a former small-town haberdasher who had to make one of the most awful decisions ever), Johnson (for reasons detailed on page after page of Robert J Caro's incredible series of biographies) and Nixon (a man remarkably similar to Trump in that he seems to be consumed by his hatred of a predecessor).

Flower

Postby Flower » 06 Feb 2020, 11:42

Growing up, my father always said that Truman was his favorite president, mainly because Truman did the least harm.

Harry S. Truman (1884 – 1972) served as the 33rd President of the United States from April, 1945 to January, 1953. Under the presidency of Truman, the United States engaged in an internationalist foreign policy, a departure from its policy of isolationism. His tenure as President was dominated by the Cold War in which he adopted a tactics of containment of Soviet expansion. His Truman Doctrine helped eliminate the Communist threat in Greece and Turkey; and he successfully handled the Berlin Blockade by responding to it with the Berlin Airlift which forced the Soviets to lift the blockade. His other major foreign policy achievements include the $13 billion Marshall Plan which stimulated spectacular economic recovery in war-torn Western Europe. On the domestic front, Truman is renowned for ending racial segregation in the United States Armed Forces and establishing the NSC, the CIA and the NSA. Here are the 10 major accomplishments of Harry S. Truman, who is ranked among the greatest American presidents.

https://learnodo-newtonic.com/harry-tru ... plishments
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Robert

Postby Robert » 06 Feb 2020, 12:48

It's hard to say for more recent Presidents but if you just scan quickly through achievements during their presidency, I would say Nixon stands out. But of course he'll be forever tainted by Watergate which, looking at the current potus's behaviour, seems child's play in hindsight.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 15 Feb 2020, 15:48

Jimmy Carter.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.