Favorite films of the 1930's

..and why not?
Flower

Favorite films of the 1930's

Postby Flower » 25 Jan 2020, 14:04

I love so many films from the 1930's .. I keep the list anywhere near ten. Here are mine, in no order what so ever. What are your choices?

Animal Crackers
Duck Soup
A Night at the Opera
Bringing Up Baby
Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
Island of Lost Souls
Dracula
The Invisible Man
The Bat Whispers
The Man Who Knew too Much
Jamaica Inn
Little Women
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Grand Hotel
My Man Godfrey
Topper
The Thin Man
After the Thin Man
Another Thin Man
Dead End
Angels with Dirty Faces
The Good Earth
The Scarlet Pimpernel

*The Mr. Moto series
*The Charlie Chan series
Last edited by Flower on 30 Jan 2020, 19:12, edited 2 times in total.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Favorite flims of the 1930's

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jan 2020, 17:19

L'Atalante
Bringing Up Baby
Only Angels have Wings
Stagecoach
Scarface
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula
The Mummy
M
Boudou Saved From Drowning

Rebecca is from 1940
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Re: Favorite films of the 1930's

Postby Flower » 26 Jan 2020, 17:44

Thanks GM! I saw it last night and forget to correct it. :)

Growing up, a lot or most of these flicks were in "Public Domain" so they were often shown in the New York area on weekend afternoons and on the Late Show or Late Late Show.
Last edited by Flower on 30 Jan 2020, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 26 Jan 2020, 18:16

Probably my number one favourite film is from the 1930s - the biggest one of the lot, Gone With The Wind.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Jan 2020, 23:03

Positive Passion wrote:Probably my number one favourite film is from the 1930s - the biggest one of the lot, Gone With The Wind.

I read the book a few years before catching the movie at a special showing, which sort of peppered my enjoyment as I knew what was going to happen. The Max Steiner score, acting and cinematography are first rate. I was delighted at the opening scene where George (Superman) Reeves was courting Scarlett with his twin brother.
Last edited by Flower on 30 Jan 2020, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Jan 2020, 05:35

GWTW is the studio system's greatest achievement, the finest example of a film where the creative producer is the real auteur. It is not really pc, though it would be difficult to do it any other way, as it is from the POV of antebellum Southern landowners. It would be a shame and a cultural loss were it to be banned, as some people are calling for. A disclaimer up front could be used instead.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Jan 2020, 21:57

M
My Man Godfrey
Modern Times (I don't remember City Lights at all)
It Happened One Night
L'Age D'Or
Grand Illusion
Queen Christina (Garbo)
Top Hat
First five Marx Bros. movies
Boudu, Saved from Drowning
Mutiny on the Bounty
I am a Fugitive from Chain Gang
Blood of a Poet

I haven't seen any of the great 1930s monster movies since I was a kid, except for The Mummy about ten years ago, which I thought was dreadfully dull.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Jan 2020, 22:47

I love a lot of those already mentioned. I'll add Ruggles Of Red Gap (a particular favorite), Holiday, and (am I really the first?) The Wizard Of Oz.

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Jan 2020, 12:11

I was brought up on the Universal monster flicks of the 30's. My parents loved them as well as most cheesy horror flicks. There's nothing so scary to a little kid (at least to me) as a black & white flick with a fog rolling in, castles and/or old villages where people have the accents of my grandparents. Also, the scene in Dracula where you can see the bats in Bela's eyes still gives me chills. :)
Last edited by Flower on 30 Jan 2020, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Jan 2020, 12:19

Charlie O. wrote:I love a lot of those already mentioned. I'll add Ruggles Of Red Gap (a particular favorite), Holiday, and (am I really the first?) The Wizard Of Oz.

I know that The Wizard of Oz is a great flick but it isn't one of my favorites. That being said, I did watch it every time that it was broadcast .. :D

A friend of mine, who grew up in Biloxi, Mississippi, told me that when she was five years old, that her mother took her to see The Wizard of Oz when it was having a special showing at her local theater. She told me that she freaked out and spent most of the movie under her seat. :lol:
Last edited by Flower on 30 Jan 2020, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jan 2020, 17:04

Flower wrote:A friend of mine, who grew up in Biloxi, Mississippi, told me that when she was five years old, that her mother took her to see The Wizard of Oz when it was having a special showing at her local theater. She told me that she freaked out and spent most of the movie under her seat. :lol:

I'm sure that's a not-uncommon story. Family lore has it that when my eldest brother first saw it on TV he kept hiding behind the sofa. Mom told him, you know, you don't have to watch this if it's scaring you, we can turn to something else - but no, he wanted to see it. Just from a safe hiding place.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Jan 2020, 19:05

"flims" - what is it about this alternative spelling/typo? I have seen it quite often. Is it a running gag or something?

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Jan 2020, 19:21

GoogaMooga wrote:"flims" - what is it about this alternative spelling/typo? I have seen it quite often. Is it a running gag or something?

Sorry, it was a typo. I guess that I should wear my reading glasses when posting.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 30 Jan 2020, 20:36

Flower wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:Probably my number one favourite film is from the 1930s - the biggest one of the lot, Gone With The Wind.

I read the book a few years before catching the movie at a special showing, which sort of peppered my enjoyment as I knew what was going to happen. The Max Steiner score, acting and cinematography are first rate. I was delighted at the opening scene where George (Superman) Reeves was courting Scarlett with his twin brother.

The book is fantastic - it has more detailed history of the war, and a few little asides, like the fact that Scarlett's businesses allow her to support her (disapproving) aunts in Charleston; and they use some of the money she gives them to help one of their friends - Rhett Butler's father!

I first saw the film aged 14 in 1979 - it was rereleased for the fortieth anniversary. I was astounded by the scale and colour of it. I have seen it several times in the cinema - the only way to watch it really. At home I do not have a tv, but watch films using a dvd player and a projector onto a wall, so the screen is quite large compared to an ordinary tv.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 31 Jan 2020, 03:21

The Wizard of Oz
Things to Come
A Day at the Races
It Happened One Night
Bringing Up Baby
Frankenstein
King Kong
The Grand Illusion
Freaks
Wuthering Heights
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Flower

Postby Flower » 03 Feb 2020, 12:16

Positive Passion wrote:
Flower wrote:

The book is fantastic - it has more detailed history of the war, and a few little asides, like the fact that Scarlett's businesses allow her to support her (disapproving) aunts in Charleston; and they use some of the money she gives them to help one of their friends - Rhett Butler's father!

I first saw the film aged 14 in 1979 - it was rereleased for the fortieth anniversary. I was astounded by the scale and colour of it. I have seen it several times in the cinema - the only way to watch it really. At home I do not have a tv, but watch films using a dvd player and a projector onto a wall, so the screen is quite large compared to an ordinary tv.

I was puzzled when the movie omitted Scarlett's first two children but you can't have every detail or character.

Return to “Screenadelica”