Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Flower

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Flower » 04 Jan 2020, 13:18

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” ... :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 15 Jan 2020, 12:27

You've probably all heard the expression Hobson's Choice to mean a free choice but in which only one thing is offered.
Because a person may refuse to accept what is offered, the two options are taking it or taking nothing. In other words, one may "take it or leave it".

It originates from Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), a livery stable owner in Cambridge, England, who offered customers the choice of either taking the horse in his stall nearest to the door or taking none at all.
Hobson had an extensive stable of some 40 horses which gave the appearance that upon entry, customers would have their choice of mounts, when in fact there was only one. Hobson required riders to choose the horse in the stall closest to the door.

This was to prevent the best horses from always being chosen, which would have caused those horses to become overused
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Jan 2020, 13:53

Sometimes you get upgraded on a flight for no reason!
*waves to the plebs behind the curtain*
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Jan 2020, 13:59

I’m gonna watch CHERNOBYL and get wankered!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Jan 2020, 22:25

French motorways are privately owned.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 20 Jan 2020, 08:41

Polishgirl wrote:French motorways are privately owned.

Same in Catalonia. But not the rest of Spain, as far as I know.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 20 Jan 2020, 08:44

Deimos (The son of Ares, god of war and himself the personification of terror [and also the smaller of Mars's two moons]) is pronounced Die muss, and not Dee moss, as I'd always thought.

And another thing!
How come the planet is named after the Roman version and the satellites after the Greek versions?
Bugger off.

Flower

Postby Flower » 20 Jan 2020, 22:00

Rorschach wrote:Deimos (The son of Ares, god of war and himself the personification of terror [and also the smaller of Mars's two moons]) is pronounced Die muss, and not Dee moss, as I'd always thought.

And another thing!
How come the planet is named after the Roman version and the satellites after the Greek versions?

Cool Stuff!

That reminded me that my (second) cousin, Marcia R. changed her name after her mother died because Marcia was convinced that she was named after Mars, the God of war. Marcia was named after her grandmother, Minnie, but changed her name anyway to Chela Lightchild. :D

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jan 2020, 06:22

There was never a hostage crisis in 1979. US diplomatic personnel who were taken prisoner were arrested in flagrante delicto for spying. The embassy in Tehran was the CIA headquarters for the entire Middle East. It was not the Iranians but the United States that violated the obligations of diplomatic status. Two Marines of the embassy guard denounced the CIA’s actions, the espionage material is still visible in the embassy premises and the top-secret documents seized there have been published in more than 80 volumes.

Iran and Israel are not irreducible enemies since they jointly operate the Eilat-Ashkelon pipeline, which is jointly owned by the two states.

https://www.voltairenet.org/article208858.html
Question authority.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Jan 2020, 06:52

Jimbo wrote:
There was never a hostage crisis in 1979. US diplomatic personnel who were taken prisoner were arrested in flagrante delicto for spying. The embassy in Tehran was the CIA headquarters for the entire Middle East. It was not the Iranians but the United States that violated the obligations of diplomatic status. Two Marines of the embassy guard denounced the CIA’s actions, the espionage material is still visible in the embassy premises and the top-secret documents seized there have been published in more than 80 volumes.

Illogical and unlikely in more respects than I have the time or energy to go into now.

But read this for a start:

https://archive.ph/20101124132652/http://www.homelandsecurity.org/newjournal/BookReviews/displayBookReview2.asp?review=63

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 22 Jan 2020, 09:06

Charlie O. wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Illogical and unlikely in more respects than I have the time or energy to go into now.

https://archive.ph/20101124132652/http://www.homelandsecurity.org/newjournal/BookReviews/displayBookReview2.asp?review=63

Sadly, Charlie, offering facts to a conspiracy theorist is like offering a glass of water to a rabid dog.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 22 Jan 2020, 09:08

I'd never got round to checking out the relative sizes of the two outer gas giants in our Solar System. Today, I discovered that you could fit Neptune inside Uranus.
Bugger off.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jan 2020, 15:17

Rorschach wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Sadly, Charlie, offering facts to a conspiracy theorist is like offering a glass of water to a rabid dog.

First of all I can't open Charlie's link. I'd read it if I could even though I am I am pretty sure Charlie or Rorschach did not read mine. That said, the "homelandsecurity.org" address does not bode well for its credibility in my book. Nonetheless, fellas, consider the facts, even the few that you and I know, about the US/Iran relationship over the years. Many things do not make the US/CIA look like the good guy. There was the CIA overthrow in the early 50's of the democratically elected leader, the installation of the Shah, then there is the 1979 "embassy takeover," the pasting together of shredded docs proving CIA fuckery, the Israeli destruction of the nuke plant, the whole do they don't they have nukes, Trump's tearing up of the agreement and then the killing of their top general. That shit is on us.

Now try and think of what Iran did to the US.

So, with all that we know off hand about our bad behavior, for me to quote a journalist who says the 1979 takeover was not what we were told, especially when we now know more than ever before about how much our government and media lie, you gullible guys eat up the shit narrative they feed you like Toomanyhatz eats oatmeal.
Question authority.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Jan 2020, 16:35

A good deal of what you say just there is beyond dispute, Jimbo. (Even a stopped clock...) But:

US diplomatic personnel who were taken prisoner were arrested in flagrante delicto for spying.

In case you and your sources don't know, "in flagrante delicto" means they were caught in the act. I very much doubt that the students - students - who stormed the embassy caught them in any such act.

The embassy in Tehran was the CIA headquarters for the entire Middle East.

Does that even make sense? Especially after the failed hostage-taking attempt just months before, and given the ever-increasing tensions between the two countries? The CIA would have to be really fucking dumb to base their Middle East operations in the Tehran embassy. Not that they had never done really dumb things before, but that would really be some high-level dunderheadedness.

"Gullible," huh? Says the doofus who buys any illogical, Occam's Razor-defying bullshit he reads so long as it isn't in the MSM...

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 23 Jan 2020, 16:45

Ol' Charlie's got my Jimbo up and I'm off and climbing down into a Iran Hostage Crisis rabbit hole.

You know when Trump promised to drain the swamp - and didn't (yet), I learned today that Jimmy Carter's CIA director pretty much fired 820 CIA agents. It was called the Halloween Massacre.

On October 31, 1977 open warfare broke out between Turner and his agency when dismissal notices were sent out to a number of agency employees as a result of post-Vietnam war personnel reductions. ( :roll: Fired.) Taking the brunt of the losses on what became known as "The Halloween Massacre" was the branch responsible for human espionage collection (known as DDO, for Deputy Director of Operations). According to Turner, only 17 people from the espionage branch were actually fired and 147 were forced into early retirement. Through normal attrition over the next two years, however, the branch would be reduced by 820 positions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 4245f5aa9/

(Jimbo alert.) These were GHW Bush's people when he was head of the CIA and it was they in league with Bush who engineered the Iran incident to make Carter look bad and usher in the Reagan-Bush era.
Question authority.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Jan 2020, 17:40

Whatever you say!

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Jan 2020, 01:35

That ghosts can also be called shades.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/lev-novak/20 ... to-ghosts/

A ghost is both a catch-all term for and a distinct entity. Spirits, shades and geists are all ghosts, but a ghost can be a “ghost” without being any of the three above. So, while a “ghost” is the genus of al the entities described below, it is possible to be merely a “ghost” without subscribing to any of the categories specified below.

I'm not doing a study on ghosts but came across the term while reading "This Night's Foul Work" by Fred Vargas.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Jan 2020, 15:26

I've been mispronouncing "Tintagel" my whole life!

Dr Markus wrote:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jan 2020, 15:59

Minnie the Minx wrote:I've been mispronouncing "Tintagel" my whole life!

I had a biopsy done on mine and luckily it was cancer free.
Question authority.

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Jan 2020, 16:55

Jimbo wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I've been mispronouncing "Tintagel" my whole life!

I had a biopsy done on mine and luckily it was cancer free.

Most castles are cancer free. At least the ones associated with King Arthur.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/vis ... el-castle/

Return to “Nextdoorland”