The next UK Prime minister

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Powehi

Re: The next UK Prime minister

Postby Powehi » 05 Jan 2020, 09:50

I thought the point Rother was making was that history shows the next Labour leader has virtually zero chance of overturning such a large majority and being elected PM at the next election.

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 05 Jan 2020, 10:40

that's Powehisplaining
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 05 Jan 2020, 11:19

Needs must and all that

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Jan 2020, 14:34

Powehi wrote:I thought the point Rother was making was that history shows the next Labour leader has virtually zero chance of overturning such a large majority and being elected PM at the next election.

Spot on. To be honest I couldn’t really understand what Jeemo was saying in his response.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 05 Jan 2020, 15:02

Wrong thread! :D
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 05 Jan 2020, 16:32

Lord Rother wrote:
Powehi wrote:I thought the point Rother was making was that history shows the next Labour leader has virtually zero chance of overturning such a large majority and being elected PM at the next election.

Spot on. To be honest I couldn’t really understand what Jeemo was saying in his response.

The thread was about who would be the next PM. We now know who became the next PM. Because of the fall out from that, Labour are having a leadership contest.

It's not rocket science.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 05 Jan 2020, 18:08

There was a thread about the next leader of the Labour Party but it’s disappeared into the ether. This was the next best option rather than starting another one

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 07 Jan 2020, 19:58

Labour cannot seriously be considering voting Rebecca "10 out of 10" Long-Bailey in
as leader? She's just Corbyn in a frock.

Why don't the Momentum lot simply break away and form their own party? (That's a
rhetorical question, they'd never in a million years get within a whiff of real power
if they went out flagged Momentum rather than Labour)

Think the only realistic candidate Labour has if it wants to try and claw back some
of the traditional voters they've so stupidly thrown away is Starmer.

If Jess Philips had been smarter, she should have stood for deputy leader and
used the post as a springboard for the leader after next - assuming
the Labour Party still exists in its current form four or five years from now that is).
Last edited by Powehi on 08 Jan 2020, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 08 Jan 2020, 14:39

DP

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 13 Jan 2020, 14:36

Good to see that Clive Lewis has overwhelmingly won the argument that he should be next leader of the Labour Party.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 13 Jan 2020, 15:14

Shame - I thought he'd have made a leader or deputy.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jan 2020, 15:28

The Prof wrote:Shame - I thought he'd have made a leader or deputy.

Yeah, I like him.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 14 Jan 2020, 10:17

The big problem facing Labour is whether they will vote for a leader of the opposition? A potential PM? Or, ideally, a balance of the two? Get the decision wrong and it'll be a long, long time before they get back into power.

Starmer currently a long way out in front. Good safe pair of hands as leader of opposition and looks to be best potential candidate to convince voters he could be PM at this early stage.

Jess Philips. Of all the candidates, she would seem to me to be the most in touch with traditional voters abandoned by Labour under Momentum (and who dumped Labour last December as a direct result). Her bluntness would surely give Johnson hell at PMQs. Excellent leader of the opposition but looks nothing like a potential PM right now. Hopefully, she could grow into the role but who knows.

Lisa Nandy. Her long-time opposition to Corbyn makes her look like a good outside bet this time. Like Lewis, might be a bit too early for her but the way things stand, she (and maybe Lewis himself) would surely be amongst the front runners next time there's a leadership contest.

Long Bailey - Effectively Corbyn with lipstick. Keeps getting caught about porkies she's told to boost her working class credentials. Pass.

Emily Thornberry (aka Lady Nugee). Deservedly forever going to be despised by many traditional Labour voters for her needlessly offensive comments about the working class householder who displayed the cross of St George flag. Pass.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Jan 2020, 11:05

I don't like this idea of having separate elections for the deputy leader. It feels like all their most capable politicians are running for leadership, allowing second raters like Richard Borgon to go for deputy. They'd be better off giving the deputy leadership to whoever came second in the leadership contest.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 14 Jan 2020, 11:51

That would make sense.
I don't know much about Ian Murray or Rosena Allin-Khan.
Angela Rayner was awful on one of the Election programmes. Interrupting the presenter, having a side-argument with the Tory candidate, spouting out rehearsed facts and figures instead of letting other people answer the questions. Just not professional at all.
Burgon is a professional - a professional foghorn.
Dawn Butler seems to come across well but needs a bit more gravitas and fire in her belly.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 14 Jan 2020, 12:20

The Modernist wrote:I don't like this idea of having separate elections for the deputy leader. It feels like all their most capable politicians are running for leadership, allowing second raters like Richard Borgon to go for deputy. They'd be better off giving the deputy leadership to whoever came second in the leadership contest.

Agreed. Surely something of a BCB first!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jan 2020, 15:12

The Modernist wrote:I don't like this idea of having separate elections for the deputy leader. It feels like all their most capable politicians are running for leadership, allowing second raters like Richard Borgon to go for deputy. They'd be better off giving the deputy leadership to whoever came second in the leadership contest.

Borgon aspires to being fifth rate. He is as thick as mince, a bully and a coward. The only person less able than him, and who has also pulled out of the leadership race, is Barry Gardiner, who might the stupidest person on the planet. On the up side, it was good see arch snob and hater of the huddled masses , Emily Thornberry have to wait until Lewis pulled out in order to reach the next round. If she wins this contest , Labour are finished. Of course she is much adored by the North London Metropolitan Elite, so may be does have a chance. But she could never win an election, as she is poison outside of he immediate locality.
You don't like me...do you?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jan 2020, 15:14

Of course, the unhygienic Starmer will probably win, which puts Blair back in charge. Maybe then he and Cheree will finally get their places in the house of Lords.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 14 Jan 2020, 15:55

yomptepi wrote:the unhygienic Starmer

I'm intrigued. What's he been up to?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jan 2020, 16:00

The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:the unhygienic Starmer

I'm intrigued. What's he been up to?

He looks grubby. His hair is always dirty and greasy, and he always has dirt lines around his collars. Dirty bastard.