What’s pissed you off today?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Re: What’s pissed you off today?

Postby Samoan » 22 Dec 2019, 12:30

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50883161

Tesco has suspended production at a factory in China following allegations forced prison labour was used to pack charity Christmas cards.

It comes after the Sunday Times reported a six-year-old girl from south London found a message from Shanghai prisoners hidden in a box of cards.

"Please help us and notify human rights organisation," the message said.

According to the Sunday Times, Florence Widdicombe opened a £1.50 box of Tesco cards to find that one of them - featuring a kitten with a Santa hat - had already been written in.

In block capitals, it said: "We are foreign prisoners in Shanghai Qingpu prison China. Forced to work against our will. Please help us and notify human rights organisation."

"I'm pretty sure this was written as a collective message. Obviously one single hand produced this capital letters' handwriting and I think I know who it was, but I will never disclose that name."

He said the cell block of foreign prisoners has about 250 people in it, who are living a "very bleak daily life" with 12 prisoners per cell.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/23/inside-chinese-qingpu-prison-forced-labour-claims-tesco-christmas-card
Last edited by Samoan on 23 Dec 2019, 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Dec 2019, 21:55

Fonz wrote:I rarely cycle in traffic precisely because it is dangerous. Anecdotes like this certainly gave me ‘pause’. Don’t want to die.

Well, I don't want to go out like that either, and I'm lucky in a way because in Texas the roads are pretty wide and because everyone is obsessed with getting from A to B in a car (mainly because it's too hot to walk) the pavements are always empty. This is useful if I think the road looks hairy, and I can go onto the pavement for a bit -which I couldn't do in many other cities without getting punched.

I think I'm a hyper vigilant cyclist and take every step possible to keep myself safe. But, as you know as you also cycle, unlike being a car driver, almost everything can be dangerous to a cyclist. I used to do a 18 mile round trip cycle every day to work sometimes starting at 5am in the pouring rain and dark in narrow Lancashire streets and I feared for my life less there than pootling round places in sunlight with people opening car doors in front of me, dogs running out. My two big accidents happened from a car door being opened and avoiding a broken beer bottle. Cycling has danger written into it but I have never thought about not doing it, because it's really great fun, good for my health and for the planet. I can't accept that the way to look at these situations is to think "I'll think carefully about this/be careful" - which is what I understand "give pause" to mean - as I already am careful.

I also think that in this specific instance, nobody knows for certain what happened and we could just as easily be saying that bus drivers who don't give a wide enough berth or try and pass unnecessarily should have pause.

I didn't want to be disrespectful to Steve's acquaintance by going on about this anyway, so hopefully I won't tempted to come back and continue to pick at this issue. RIP doc.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Dec 2019, 07:30

I don’t think it’s disrespectful to talk about it. No one’s judging; it’s just a tragic accident.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 23 Dec 2019, 13:25

Samoan wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50883161

Tesco has suspended production at a factory in China following allegations forced prison labour was used to pack charity Christmas cards.

It comes after the Sunday Times reported a six-year-old girl from south London found a message from Shanghai prisoners hidden in a box of cards.

"Please help us and notify human rights organisation," the message said.

According to the Sunday Times, Florence Widdicombe opened a £1.50 box of Tesco cards to find that one of them - featuring a kitten with a Santa hat - had already been written in.

In block capitals, it said: "We are foreign prisoners in Shanghai Qingpu prison China. Forced to work against our will. Please help us and notify human rights organisation."

"I'm pretty sure this was written as a collective message. Obviously one single hand produced this capital letters' handwriting and I think I know who it was, but I will never disclose that name."

He said the cell block of foreign prisoners has about 250 people in it, who are living a "very bleak daily life" with 12 prisoners per cell.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/23/inside-chinese-qingpu-prison-forced-labour-claims-tesco-christmas-card
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

Flower

Postby Flower » 24 Dec 2019, 11:54

I can't find vanillekipferl cookies anywhere!

*They are Austrian crescent shaped Austrian shortbread cookies.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Dec 2019, 12:37

I went to two supermarkets looking for multigrain rye bread and both were out. Nothing major but a bit annoying.

Flower

Postby Flower » 01 Jan 2020, 12:08

Nothing so far this year but the day/year is young ... :lol:

Flower

Postby Flower » 04 Jan 2020, 12:43

Trump! But that is every day ... :(

Flower

Postby Flower » 05 Jan 2020, 12:32

Laughing much more than anything pissing me off .... :lol:

Flower

Postby Flower » 06 Jan 2020, 11:49

The New Orleans Saints losing yesterday .. and snow this morning.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Jan 2020, 17:10

A tomato
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jan 2020, 18:19

My annoying dry cough that kept me up all night as I was coughing every thirty seconds. I'm grateful that I don't have anything else and I don't feel bad but this cough won't stop and it's starting to piss me off.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 06 Jan 2020, 21:03

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Fonz wrote:I rarely cycle in traffic precisely because it is dangerous. Anecdotes like this certainly gave me ‘pause’. Don’t want to die.

Well, I don't want to go out like that either, and I'm lucky in a way because in Texas the roads are pretty wide and because everyone is obsessed with getting from A to B in a car (mainly because it's too hot to walk) the pavements are always empty. This is useful if I think the road looks hairy, and I can go onto the pavement for a bit -which I couldn't do in many other cities without getting punched.

I think I'm a hyper vigilant cyclist and take every step possible to keep myself safe.

was it you who I had a discussion with about cycling and helmets years back? (I'm curious - this discussion just made me think of it)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2020, 00:46

Geezee wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:

I think I'm a hyper vigilant cyclist and take every step possible to keep myself safe.

was it you who I had a discussion with about cycling and helmets years back? (I'm curious - this discussion just made me think of it)

Probably me. I'm the guy with no helmet, earphones and riding a girls bike. Also the guy who, after a fall, was hospitalized for four months after smashing my pelvis to bits. Now my left leg don't pedal so good anymore.
Civilization can never be taken for granted. Thierry Meyssan

Flower

Postby Flower » 07 Jan 2020, 11:52

Some a-hole going through our recycling bin.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2020, 23:35

My weight's been about 81 to 81.5 my goal being 80 but when I weighed myself today it was 82.5. All through the holiday season my weight's been holding steady but somehow in one post-holiday day I gained a kilo. This pisses me off.

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 08 Jan 2020, 19:16

My local branch of HMV is closing again. Third time. Think its finally finished, negotiating over rents and couldn't come to an agreement. I'm sure another empty store in the shopping centre will look fantastic.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Jan 2020, 13:28

I was 90 percent finished, typing out a long post and then my finger touched the "wrong" key and it was wiped out ... :(

Flower

Postby Flower » 10 Jan 2020, 12:08

The Weather forecast. :(

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Jan 2020, 12:21

Jimbo wrote:My weight's been about 81 to 81.5 my goal being 80 but when I weighed myself today it was 82.5. All through the holiday season my weight's been holding steady but somehow in one post-holiday day I gained a kilo. This pisses me off.

Somehow having got my weight down to 80.9 my wife comes into the kitchen and pokes my tummy. :x