Nibbles that your parents put out when you visit.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Nibbles that your parents put out when you visit.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Dec 2019, 21:23

I'm sure it's not just parents that I visit - don't parents, once you've left home, "Put nibbles out" in a way they didn't when you lived there?
Plopped on the ottoman in a bowl or something. They sure as shit didn't give me bowls of things to eat before my tea when I was living with them. Why do they do it now? It's odd isn't it? And they seem to always give you mainly the same things.

Mum of Baron: A Trader Joe's rampage! Smoked cashews, hummus with things you didn't expect in it (pomegranate seeds anyone?), olives in an oil you can't quite place.

My parents: A bottle of Cava and they point at the cupboard that has the Quavers in.

Dad of Baron: Tiny cubes of springy cheese. Nuts in bowls. A variety of crackers. Something rolled in pistachios.

My mother: Kept a big bowl next to the stereo and in it were tangerines, almonds and brazil nuts in their shells, Turkish Delight and Cadbury's Creme Eggs, and sunflower seeds in their kernels - none of these things were separated, they were all chucked together. This bowl got passed around while she was in the kitchen cooking, with us all gawping into it in horror. The fruit got changed out, but I think everything else was in there forever.

I've often wondered why you get nibbles when you go to visit. I wonder if parents think you swam there.

Anyway, I'm not complaining!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

trans-chigley express

Re: Nibbles that your parents put out when you visit.

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Dec 2019, 05:09

My family were nibble free but my wife's family, and Chinese families in general, always have a bowl with compartments containing different snacks over the Chinese New Year, and sometimes Christmas too. Typically they have lots of seeds (sunflower, melon, pumpkin) sometimes fried or baked or just raw. Nuts too especially pistachio nuts and sometimes candy in colourful wrappers. Never any chocolates :cry:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Dec 2019, 13:36

Well, I’m sure my mum’s bowl is still brimming with dusty Turkish Delight if you want to help yourself :D

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 23 Dec 2019, 14:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:Dad of Baron: Tiny cubes of springy cheese. Nuts in bowls. A variety of crackers. Something rolled in pistachios.

It should be noted that my father is a cheapskate who does not actually take great pleasure from food. So the cheese is invariably ill-advised. He also prefers unsalted nuts.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Dec 2019, 17:07

My Dad would make that Chez Mix stuff back in the 70s before it became a thing commercially. It was greatly improved with pecans from their tree, a tree that is still producing and it must be about 50-60 YO.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 23 Dec 2019, 17:25

Six String wrote:My Dad would make that Chez Mix stuff back in the 70s before it became a thing commercially. It was greatly improved with pecans from their tree, a tree that is still producing and it must be about 50-60 YO.

I love that stuff if it’s done a certain way. It used to be called Texas Trash and was everywhere at Christmas but I haven’t had it since my grandmother died.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Dec 2019, 17:29

They sell it at HEB!

Dr Markus wrote:

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 23 Dec 2019, 17:52

I just looked at a recipe or three for it and they call for fucking bacon grease! Damn!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Dec 2019, 17:58

:evil:

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Dec 2019, 18:12

I don't remember bacon grease as part of our recipe although there was some type of oil involved to make the spicing stick. I've never made it but I could eat the hell out of it if presented to me. The store version has never appealed to me. I forgot about the Texas Trash part, but yeah that's the stuff.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Dec 2019, 22:32

Minnie the Minx wrote:Well, I’m sure my mum’s bowl is still brimming with dusty Turkish Delight if you want to help yourself :D

I'd snap your hand off for that

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jan 2020, 17:31

This week it’s been coconut macaroons!

Dr Markus wrote:

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 16 Jan 2020, 20:24

Apparently if you go to Beebsy's mum's house you get a tomato
The Complete Slade Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 16 Jan 2020, 21:13

My mum was all about Mini Babybels and Laughing Cow little cheese cubes.

Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Jan 2020, 11:19

Oh, and cherry tomatoes and Twiglets.
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?