Returning something to Amazon

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Returning something to Amazon

Postby Jimbo » 16 Dec 2019, 05:46

Never done it before. How do I do it?

I ordered a cheap mini-computer from Amazon and boy is my wife pissed off, kinda like she may have already bought me a new iMac Mini for Kwanza, but I doubt it. Anyway, the thing is supposed to arrive in a couple of days and I read something like I can refuse to accept my package. :? Or say my delivery person tells me I must accept it what do I do then? I read on my "receipt" I can send back an unopened box. Okay, I take the box to my post office and send it back to the sender on the package return address, what is the best way to send it? How do I know they received it? How long will the return process take because the longer it is in limbo the longer my wife will be on my case for buying another stupid, cheap piece of shit.
Civilization can never be taken for granted. Thierry Meyssan

St Jeemo the Humourless

Re: Returning something to Amazon

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 16 Dec 2019, 08:53

you can cancel the order online
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 16 Dec 2019, 08:57

You can only cancel on line if the item hasn't been processed for shipping

Best way to sort out a return/refund, is to go to your country's Amazon home page, log in and check your orders. There will be a return (and possibly a cancel option). If the thing you've ordered is inexpensive (probably not the case here), the vendor may just give you a refund and not ask you to return whatever it was you ordered/bought.

Before you can send stuff back you generally have to print off and stick a barcode to the front of the package your sending back. Not sure whether you will have to pay or not, but while Amazon will generally waive or at least refund postage, individual vendors may limit their refund

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Dec 2019, 09:44

Powehi wrote:You can only cancel on line if the item hasn't been processed for shipping

Best way to sort out a return/refund, is to go to your country's Amazon home page, log in and check your orders. There will be a return (and possibly a cancel option). If the thing you've ordered is inexpensive (probably not the case here), the vendor may just give you a refund and not ask you to return whatever it was you ordered/bought.

Before you can send stuff back you generally have to print off and stick a barcode to the front of the package your sending back. Not sure whether you will have to pay or not, but while Amazon will generally waive or at least refund postage, individual vendors may limit their refund

Thanks for your response but it is already too complicated for an old fool like me. I do know that the package is already on its way so I can't cancel the order but barcodes??? Duh ...

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 16 Dec 2019, 12:00

You can request shipping cancellation even when the item is due for delivery. I've an order coming today, I can request a cancellation even though it is out for delivery. It's not guaranteed but it is an option.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Dec 2019, 12:06

St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:You can request shipping cancellation even when the item is due for delivery. I've an order coming today, I can request a cancellation even though it is out for delivery. It's not guaranteed but it is an option.

No, I tried and it may have just gone out and they said it was too late, that I'd have to send it back upon receipt. But how that is done exactly is what I'd like to glean from our vast and intelligent collective knowledge.

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 16 Dec 2019, 12:22

Jimbo wrote:
St Jeemo the Humourless wrote:You can request shipping cancellation even when the item is due for delivery. I've an order coming today, I can request a cancellation even though it is out for delivery. It's not guaranteed but it is an option.

No, I tried and it may have just gone out and they said it was too late, that I'd have to send it back upon receipt. But how that is done exactly is what I'd like to glean from our vast and intelligent collective knowledge.

You should have a return by date on the order. Contact supplier through Amazon, they should sent you a return confirmation. Print it off attach to unopened package and send back.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2020, 01:40

Hooray, the DHL guy came by and picked up the package which should be on its way back to Las Vegas any minute.

Pending confirmation of receipt and the actual refund, it's done. It was my wife, as usual, who bailed me out. The return instructions were ultimately clear to me, but not until I clicked and filled in every box. But printing out the receipt and mailing address was problematic because of cheap, off-brand ink carts which our Epson printer didn't like - and said so! Nonetheless, my darling wife, with the patience and brains which I lack, fixed the printer, contacted DHL Japan, measured the package in centimeters, filled out more forms and got 'er done.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 11 Jan 2020, 21:21

In the UK they have, or used to have, "Amazon Lockers" for both collection of parcels and dropping off returns. These would be banks of lockers of various sizes in spaces accessible to the public like shopping malls. They email you an access code, and you drop off your return in an appropriately sized locker.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 12 Jan 2020, 01:01

If it's shipped already you can either refuse it and return to sender, or if it was already received just start a return on Amazon. Their customer service people will walk you through it. Here in the USA I can just drop it off at an amazon locker, UPS store or Kohls to avoid shipping charges, but that is not the case in Japan.

Return Policies for Items Shipped by Amazon.co.jp
    Complete the return or replacement process within 30 days of your receiving an item. If you return the item after the said 30 days, the refund amount will be reduced by 20%.

Return/Replacement of Non-defective or Undamaged Items
    Unopened and Unused: Full amount of the item (tax inclusive) will be refunded.

Shipping & Handling and Giftwrap fees will not be refunded in any conditions. Return shipping charges will not be refunded except when a specific exception is otherwise provided.

How to Return
    When you are required to bear the return shipping charges for the return or replacement, please return the items by shipping prepaid, or “payment on shipment.” When Amazon.co.jp bears the return shipping charges for the return or replacement, please return the items with shipping charge on delivery.

Only delivery services provided by Japan Post Co., Ltd., Yamato Transport Co., Ltd. or Sagawa Express Co., Ltd. are available for return with shipping charge on delivery. If you return items with shipping charge on delivery using another carrier, Amazon.co.jp will not accept the items and send you back the items with shipping charge on delivery to be charged to you.

When items that need to be returned by payment on shipment have been returned with shipping charge on delivery, the return shipping charges will be deducted from the refund amount.

Return Policies for Items Shipped by Seller
    When you order from a seller that fulfills and ships its own inventory (also called a third party seller), your return will be sent back to the seller instead of Amazon.co.jp. While most sellers offer a return policy equivalent to Amazon.co.jp's, some seller return policies may vary. You can view the seller's return policy before you purchase an item by viewing the Return and Refund Policy section of the Seller's profile page. For details please see here. Once you've ordered, you can select your order in Online Return Center, to view the seller's return policy.
--m.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Jan 2020, 00:44

It's all done! I have confirmation from Amazon that my money will be refunded - minus the $15 it cost for the convenience of the delivery guy coming to my door to pick up the package rather than I having to find a DHL center and bringing the package there myself.

Thanks to all who've offered suggestions and may all your packages be acceptable.