The end of the road for us old gits

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The end of the road for us old gits

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Nov 2019, 14:19

Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do? Do the charts sound alien to you? Have you collected what you wanted, seen those you wanted to see? Are you happy with the way your music life has evolved, or would you have done it differently if you could turn back time, say, 40 years?

Some biggies I COULD have seen:

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Re: The end of the road for us old gits

Postby soundchaser » 16 Nov 2019, 14:50

No, I’ve had a ball and there’s still a long way to go. I’m an anachronism, so every day is 1972 ‘round these parts.

Rock On!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Nov 2019, 17:06

GoogaMooga wrote:Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do?

No. I don't know what this means.

GoogaMooga wrote:Do the charts sound alien to you?

Yes. And they have since the late 90s. Basically when Bone Thugs 'n' Harmony had hits, as I've said many times.

GoogaMooga wrote:Have you collected what you wanted, seen those you wanted to see?

There are literally thousands of records I don't have that I would like to have. I have seen most of the people or bands I could have seen that I wanted to see, with a few exceptions and very minor regrets.

GoogaMooga wrote:Are you happy with the way your music life has evolved, or would you have done it differently if you could turn back time, say, 40 years?

I would have spent more money on records and stereo equipment. Even in middle age with a reasonably comfortable living, I find it hard to spend a lot of money on that stuff. Even though I could happily spend tens of thousands of dollars in one weekend if you gave it to me and said here you go, buy records and a decent stereo.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Nov 2019, 17:31

Still Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do?

No. I don't know what this means.

I.e. been there, done that, no goals left, got all you need

Personally, I keep buying, it's a compulsion, but if it all dried up now, I'd be happy with what I've got. When you reach the point where you've got so many CDs that you may only listen to them once or twice more in your life, you've got to ask yourself if that is a good thing.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Nov 2019, 17:44

Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do? Nope I still seek all forms of music new and old. This will be my 19th year of seeing 40 + concerts and over 75 bands don't see it slowing down either I've got tickets for several 2020 shows including bands I've never seen. Also have my list of 6 decade people to see (Gabriel,Tony Levin, Jorma, Phil Lesh, Neil Young, John McLaughlin, Roger Waters).

Do the charts sound alien to you? when haven't they? Maybe a few artists but for the most part I've never been mainstream although like plenty over the years. Yes maybe its a little more alien these days.

Have you collected what you wanted, seen those you wanted to see? reduced my vinyls years ago but still would want more but my album money is all in concert and streaming money these days. Concert wise missed plenty been trying to make it up ever since and done pretty good. Will continue to see plenty but will pass on plenty of stuff.

Are you happy with the way your music life has evolved, or would you have done it differently if you could turn back time, say, 40 years? Pretty much few gaps in my music life but lots of beautiful times, friends and enjoyment of listening to music my whole life. Only regret might be that I wish I kept playing guitar, bass and didn't blow out my voice all long ago.

Flower

Postby Flower » 16 Nov 2019, 19:10

I don't believe in having regrets. I do believe in learning from my mistakes. On one level, it would've been smart not to give my younger sibling my albums when I got married but then again, my mother would've more than likely given them away if she was storing them for me.

I've been to many concerts, festivals, etc. There are some venues that I've missed but no one is prefect.

I have a bad back and won't go to concerts where there isn't seating .. so I guess that you can say that I'm at the end of the road when it comes to standing at concerts. This doesn't includes venues such as the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival ere these is some seating and I can walk around; I can't stand in one spot for a couple of hours.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 17 Nov 2019, 21:17

Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do? Well the great acts of 60/70s are passing, inevitably but i still have much music to discover, some new but mainly old.

Do the charts sound alien to you? singles charts, yes.

Have you collected what you wanted, seen those you wanted to see? No, currently looking at Sheik Yerbouti, cheap on vinyl on amazon - i cant stop buying. Loads i still want to buy. Acts to see? Seen most i'd want to see, Fleetwood Mac or maybe Van but not going to spend a fortune on tickets.

Are you happy with the way your music life has evolved, or would you have done it differently if you could turn back time, say, 40 years? i'm happy, been in bands, seen lots of bands, never sold my vinyl collection. i'm happy, no regrets.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Nov 2019, 21:51

The charts have always been alien to me, never really interested me at any point. I probably listen to more chart music than I ever did right now, just because I have a 12 year old son who always has radio 1 on. Seems the same as it ever did, some well-crafted enough songs, but not many that appeal to me.

Regret-wise, I think only the fact I never saw Coil live is the only biggie. I was considering going to their Dublin gig, which would've been pretty pricey and very much of a hassle, which is why I eventually didn't bother. If I'd have known it was their last ever, I'd have gone. Otherwise, it's things like never having seen Joy DIvision live, but the chance was never there given I was 4 when Ian Curtis died.

I do struggle to find evidence of a coherent musical scene or record label to latch onto. I guess Sacred Bones is the closest thing to a reliable label, and witch house was the last genre which seemed to have a sense of possibility, which unfortunately never really developed. But I still buy quite a lot of music, old and new, I'm always on the lookout for something different and exciting, and it's definitely always out there. It's the arbitrary nature of the chase that's the problem, there's never a guarantee that you're going to find greatness, and genuinely it normally ends up being found somewhere you weren't expecting it, from a fairly random purchase, not from something you actually have expectations of.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 17 Nov 2019, 23:41

Never been interested in the charts.
The Folk world is in rude health, and even excluding folk there is always something new, something different. I've got past the John Peel 'have to listen to everything' phase, so I'm actually in quite a good place - id like to go to more gigs, but once I retire I can fix that.

`

Postby ` » 18 Nov 2019, 10:04

Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do?

Not really. While don't really like too much new stuff, my favourite genres are soul/old-style R&B and C&W - both pools are wide and deep when it comes to discovering acts and albums you had either never got to hear or possibly forgotten all about. Really looking forwards to when BBC 4 starts running Ken Burns 9-part Country Music doc series this Friday.

Do the charts sound alien to you?

Yes and they have done since the late 70s and what was for me the last great era for classic singles

Have you collected what you wanted, seen those you wanted to see?

Still buying stuff I either only ever had on vinyl or lost or loaned out and never got back (this loaning music business cuts both ways!) plus "new" C&W and soul discoveries (see question 1 above)

Re catching live acts. While have seen pretty much everyone I'd like to or realistically still might get to see (can't realistically envisage Willie Nelson touring Europe again), I still go to roughly one live show a month. In the past year, I was so bowled over by seeing Grant Lee Philips in a small club and promptly went out and bought pretty much everything he'd ever done either solo or with Grant Lee Buffalo.

Are you happy with the way your music life has evolved, or would you have done it differently if you could turn back time, say, 40 years?

Pretty happy. If I could turn back time I would certainly go and see the concerts I could have seen but foolishly didn't - Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Talking Heads being three examples

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Nov 2019, 16:12

Pop music is not for older people, it never was. Folks past a certain age are always going to claim music was better in their day. Since there's no way one can certifiably prove this, we have to understand that it's just nostalgia. A "things were better in my time" mentality - which almost everyone believes. I will happily go the rest of my few (couple?) of decades left listening to music from the second half of the 20th Century. It's too much work to try to keep up with the pop music on the radio now. I've got two young daughters, not to mention I teach high school. I hear that stuff all the time in other words. It's not for me, just like the music of my teenage years wasn't for my parents. It's the natural progression of things. I regret nothing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Nov 2019, 02:58

Matt Wilson wrote:Pop music is not for older people, it never was. Folks past a certain age are always going to claim music was better in their day. Since there's no way one can certifiably prove this, we have to understand that it's just nostalgia. A "things were better in my time" mentality - which almost everyone believes. I will happily go the rest of my few (couple?) of decades left listening to music from the second half of the 20th Century. It's too much work to try to keep up with the pop music on the radio now. I've got two young daughters, not to mention I teach high school. I hear that stuff all the time in other words. It's not for me, just like the music of my teenage years wasn't for my parents. It's the natural progression of things. I regret nothing.

Most people get stuck with the music of their youth, not going forward and most certainly nok looking further back. I must have bought dozens of names into the noughties and maybe even teens, but I don't actively seek them out or read about them. It's more to do with happenstance and paying 50 pence used. But I also cover the whole of the 20th century, I can relate just as much to the 1950s as I can the 60s or 70s.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Nov 2019, 03:45

I keep finding things I've never heard before. It's usually not new stuff though.

Last time I was in tune with the charts was 1978, when I was fully into the Bee Gees plus one-hit stuff like Player. Thus, I'm used to not being in tune with things!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 19 Nov 2019, 11:14

When Homo Erectus first banged on a rock with a stick and created a rhythm, Homo Progus said "Heard it all before mate, it's all been done".

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 20 Nov 2019, 16:24

Quaco wrote:Thus, I'm used to not being in tune with things!

How about Getting In Tune?

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Nov 2019, 20:21

Just feel a little sad that I really don't like a lot of today's music and much of what I would like appears to be highly derivative, so I search out more from the originators and their like or should I say those who reaped the benefits from the originators.

Never bought singles only lps, wouldn't even begin to know what is in the charts now. Once programmes like Top of the Pops and the rest of the decent music programmes disappeared and suits took over the music business I stopped being interested.

I've seen a lot of bands/artists and certainly most of the ones that I wanted to see, would have liked to have seen the Beatles but I was in boarding school at the time and then it was too late. Can't say that there was anyone else I would have been hugely keen to see.

Are you happy with the way your music life has evolved, or would you have done it differently if you could turn back time, say, 40 years?

Pretty happy with my 'music life', I enjoy the physical process of collecting music particularly vinyl - been collecting since the age of 14 and will probably continue until I'm forced to stop. Still buy new stuff but only very occasionally although most of the music I buy is from before 2000 usually 60s and 70s and some from the following two decades. Usually buy music now which is pretty obscure and hard to come by often as reissues if and when.

So, yes I am happy, the only way I would have done it differently is not selling the original copies of albums I bought in the 60s to fund new albums from the 70s but there wouldn't have been one without the other. The only other thing I might have done differently was to complete my second year in the sixth form and done my 'A' levels properly instead of leaving to go and see bands etc. - big mistake.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Nov 2019, 15:49

robertff wrote:Do you feel a sense of closure, music-wise, like I do?

Just feel a little sad that I really don't like a lot of today's music and much of what I would like appears to be highly derivative, so I search out more from the originators and their like or should I say those who reaped the benefits from the originators.

Never bought singles only lps, wouldn't even begin to know what is in the charts now. Once programmes like Top of the Pops and the rest of the decent music programmes disappeared and suits took over the music business I stopped being interested.

I've seen a lot of bands/artists and certainly most of the ones that I wanted to see, would have liked to have seen the Beatles but I was in boarding school at the time and then it was too late. Can't say that there was anyone else I would have been hugely keen to see.

Pretty happy with my 'music life', I enjoy the physical process of collecting music particularly vinyl - been collecting since the age of 14 and will probably continue until I'm forced to stop. Still buy new stuff but only very occasionally although most of the music I buy is from before 2000 usually 60s and 70s and some from the following two decades. Usually buy music now which is pretty obscure and hard to come by often as reissues if and when.

So, yes I am happy, the only way I would have done it differently is not selling the original copies of albums I bought in the 60s to fund new albums from the 70s but there wouldn't have been one without the other. The only other thing I might have done differently was to complete my second year in the sixth form and done my 'A' levels properly instead of leaving to go and see bands etc. - big mistake.

Nice post.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 22 Nov 2019, 03:01

To a degree. I'm always buying CDs, and often it's newer music -- but that sounds like older music. Lots of singer, as opposed to bands.
And I DO buy a lot of old music.

Do the charts sound alien to you? Have you collected what you wanted, seen those you wanted to see?
I read a list of Grammy nominations, and recognized few of the names in categories I'd have been really into, say 20 years ago. I don't seek out music, and generally don't listen to music radio. But sometimes, something will leak into my consciousness and I'll investigate it further; possibly even invest.

I'm happy as can be. I prefer physical media (though I do rip MP3s to play in my car), and am kind of concerned about the evidential disappearance of CDs. But I'l adjust. My most recent CD purchases include the Bakersfield and Fats Domino boxes from Bear Family (Fats hasn't arrived yet), and the most recent Woody Herman set from Mosaic. Last new act I was really impressed with is Elise LeGrow.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 22 Nov 2019, 06:13

Muskrat wrote:My most recent CD purchases include the Bakersfield and Fats Domino boxes from Bear Family (Fats hasn't arrived yet), and the most recent Woody Herman set from Mosaic.

Fats Domino is one artist where I really need it all. I've got the US Imperial box and a Japanese box which is half Bartholomew, but I never got round to buying the first box from Bear Family. Long OOP and pricey, so this new one is most welcome, and ironically, even better, as it includes all of the ABC-Paramount recordings as well. Throw in the Hip-O's and I think I will finally own everything by this most important artist.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 23 Nov 2019, 01:03

GoogaMooga wrote:
Fats Domino is one artist where I really need it all. I've got the US Imperial box and a Japanese box which is half Bartholomew, but I never got round to buying the first box from Bear Family. Long OOP and pricey, so this new one is most welcome, and ironically, even better, as it includes all of the ABC-Paramount recordings as well. Throw in the Hip-O's and I think I will finally own everything by this most important artist.

Well, there are the Reprise albums (one of them Japan-only in its original release) and a number of live albums, which are pretty much interchangeable and great.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”