Exceptional Bonus Tracks On CDs.

Do talk back
Sneelock

Re: Exceptional Bonus Tracks On CDs.

Postby Sneelock » 18 Oct 2019, 17:08

wow! thanks! I've never heard that. Man, it seems Andy McKay can play on top of anything and I'll call it Roxy Music. that's pretty neat.

the bonus tracks I am streaming these days are the rehearsals and live tracks from those Wetton Era King Crimson releases. that stuff just peels the paint. on a couple of them, you can hear ( I assume) Fripp gently coaxing the other players to do very specific things and then hear the results. this is by far my favorite era of the band. the live tracks are positively scorching and often appear to be improvisations. splendid stuff.
uggy poopy doody.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Oct 2019, 17:11

soundchaser wrote:I didn’t like the way Wings slipped the crappy Helen Wheels onto the Band On The Run special edition CD box.

But until Wiki, I didn’t know it was released on the original American vinyl.

It still shouldn't be there, though.

soundchaser wrote:I also didn't like the way the stand-alone single Virginia Plain was inserted in the middle of the CD of the eponymous first album.

Another case where the American version was done that way, though you probably knew that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 18 Oct 2019, 17:20

Quaco wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Another case where the American version was done that way, though you probably knew that.

No, I didn’t actually, it never crossed my mind. Thanks for the info.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Oct 2019, 17:25

soundchaser wrote:
Quaco wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Another case where the American version was done that way, though you probably knew that.

No, I didn’t actually, it never crossed my mind. Thanks for the info.

I'm used to it, but it made the side very long. It made the epic "If There Is Something" not the-big-one-before-the-quiet-side-ender, but rather some kind of overlong-blob-in-the-middle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 31 Oct 2019, 07:40

Big Tears: A powerful song which first appeared on the b-side to Pump It Up and then as a bonus on This Years Model.

I love it!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Nov 2019, 02:40

C wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I want my bonus stuff after the album or on a separate CD.

Hear, hear

Generally agree with this proposition, although in the case of 'Mummer' it doesn't bother me. It's like having a bonus side I never knew about restored to the running order.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Nov 2019, 09:39

This is an excellent example

This is one of those albums where umpteen versions exist.

Originally there was a UK and USA version - eg See My Way, in the UK, was not on Ahead Rings Out but appeared on Getting to This and in America it was on Ahead. There were different running orders to.

Then a CD remaster came out in 2006 and combined all the tracks, but again, in a different order!

The extras are all superb. All of them

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Nov 2019, 04:23

pcqgod wrote:
C wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I want my bonus stuff after the album or on a separate CD.

Hear, hear

Generally agree with this proposition, although in the case of 'Mummer' it doesn't bother me. It's like having a bonus side I never knew about restored to the running order.

As an aside, I really want Steven Wilson to remix both Mummer and The Big Express.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 06 Nov 2019, 07:21

Tucked away on the b-side to Hawkwind's biggest hit, Silver Machine, was one of the finest songs they ever recorded.

Seven by Seven, is one of the most interesting in all the Space Rock genre. It was a bonus track on In Search Of Space.

The song became a centrepiece of the Space Ritual tour, although the studio original cannot be surpassed:

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 Dec 2019, 17:24

soundchaser wrote:Tucked away on the b-side to Hawkwind's biggest hit, Silver Machine, was one of the finest songs they ever recorded.

Seven by Seven, is one of the most interesting in all the Space Rock genre. It was a bonus track on In Search Of Space.

The song became a centrepiece of the Space Ritual tour, although the studio original cannot be surpassed:

A corker, that's for sure and far superior to the A-side

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 04 Dec 2019, 13:03

C wrote:
A corker, that's for sure and far superior to the A-side

You’re right, of course, but Silver Machine was a lot of fun. Great vocal from Lemmy.

Return to “Yakety Yak”