Stand Up/Benefit - a divide across the pond [and elsewhere]....?

Do talk back

Well...?

Poll ended at 31 Oct 2019, 12:47

I'm American and prefer Stand Up
22%
I'm American and prefer Benefit
11%
I'm British and prefer Stand Up
39%
I'm British and prefer Benefit
No votes
I'm something else and prefer Stand Up
22%
I'm something else and prefer Benefit
6%

Total votes: 18

C
Robust

Re: Stand Up/Benefit - a divide across the pond [and elsewhere]....?

Postby C » 04 Nov 2019, 15:39

Mike Boom wrote:As far as This Was, I do find it rather too bluesy ,its great of course but doesn't quite have the songs, yet.

I played Blodwyn Pig's Ahead Rings Out today - a better album I think - it certainly hangs together more coherently.

(Not that there is any reason to compare them)

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 04 Nov 2019, 16:17

Yeah, its a pretty good record - Dear Jill is a killer track and would have sounded quite at home on This Was

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Nov 2019, 18:18

Mike Boom wrote:As far as This Was... it's great of course but doesn't quite have the songs, yet.

I love This Was, but the growth of Anderson as a songwriter - particularly in the lyrics department - from first album to second is really rather breathtaking. The best comparison I can think of offhand is the difference between the first two Moody Blues LPs - and there you had more than two years between albums during which there were enormous changes in the whole music scene, and personnel changes in the group that saw two key songwriters join. In Tull's case, it's ten months, and it's at least 85% down to Anderson blossoming (with the rest down to bringing in a guitarist who was happy to do as he was told) (no disrespect to Martin intended).

Even the change from This Was to "Love Story"/"A Christmas Song" - two months later! - is striking. Neither of those songs would have fit in on This Was; either of them would have fit in on Stand Up.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Nov 2019, 19:56

Charlie O. wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:As far as This Was... it's great of course but doesn't quite have the songs, yet.

I love This Was, but the growth of Anderson as a songwriter - particularly in the lyrics department - from first album to second is really rather breathtaking. The best comparison I can think of offhand is the difference between the first two Moody Blues LPs - and there you had more than two years between albums during which there were enormous changes in the whole music scene, and personnel changes in the group that saw two key songwriters join. In Tull's case, it's ten months, and it's at least 85% down to Anderson blossoming (with the rest down to bringing in a guitarist who was happy to do as he was told) (no disrespect to Martin intended).

Even the change from This Was to "Love Story"/"A Christmas Song" - two months later! - is striking. Neither of those songs would have fit in on This Was; either of them would have fit in on Stand Up.

Good points well made Chas

Good points well made

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Return to “Yakety Yak”