MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Six String » 28 Oct 2019, 00:22

I have to add that the restaurant had a picture of "The Last Sit Down" which was a picture of all the famous Mafia bosses sitting together like the Last Supper. The owner is from Sicily. They had an almost life size cutout of Prince Harry on the wall at the booth he ate at. The weirdness continues.....

Edit: a guy at the restaurant had a tshirt that said "I'm just here for the sex." :shock: While watching the World Series we heard our neighbors doing the horizontal bop. :o Was it the same guy? :?:

Forgot to mention our visit to Tucson today. We had some time to burn so we searched for a coffee house in town and picked Passe' on Fourth Ave. It appears to be a hip and historical neighborhood. They had some cool clubs and restaurants spread over multiple blocks. Another thing we saw was a meter on the street that accept coins and is donated to rhe homeless. Not sure how it works but an interesting idea. We ran into some minor dust storms out of Tucson and various signs about what to do in case you're in one like don't stop in a traffic lane, pull over, etc.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Oct 2019, 10:19

I'm put off a little when I see a person alone on the street talking to their cell phone. They resemble a nut talking to themselves. But even more off putting was what I saw today, this homeless looking guy - wild hair, street tan, cheap sports clothes - not talking to himself but talking wirelessly into his cell phone. Everybody's got one I guess.
Question authority.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Oct 2019, 11:23

The video of Trump getting booed at the World Series last night and the banners being unfurled saying “Lock Him Up” has made my week already!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Oct 2019, 14:01

Yes! A little pay back.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Oct 2019, 14:09

It was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Oct 2019, 16:46

I was sent two pictures today of wee girls that graced our house for a while. Curly Wurly Gurly is now 7 and Madame is now 3. Both are doing great. Total coincidence that both came today.

Just a pity I was chopping onions at the time.....
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Oct 2019, 17:12

Jeemo wrote:I was sent two pictures today of wee girls that graced our house for a while. Curly Wurly Gurly is now 7 and Madame is now 3. Both are doing great. Total coincidence that both came today.

Just a pity I was chopping onions at the time.....

;)

I know about chopping onions, you deserve to chop them.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Oct 2019, 01:24

I must be tired .. I just read Hightea's signature and thought that it said "Trump for President in 2020" .. I thought that it was odd and tried to click on it but then I saw that it said "Trump for Prison" and that my sleepy self thought that it said President .. I totally agree and am no longer confused.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Oct 2019, 03:33

Joshua Tree National Park was amazing today. We did a lot of tromping around but too tired to write so I'll do that tomorrow when we arrive in Tulare. I will say that the Joshua Tree Inn is a great little place to stay. Awesome courtyard includng a stage where they host the Gram Parsons Tribute shows "Sleepless Nights. More tomorrow.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Oct 2019, 01:59

We entered Joshua Tree (park) from the south side as the Inn was on the north side which allowed us to see a lot (most) of the park before the end of the day. Those trees, really members of the agave family, are so bizarre looking and they are everywhere. There is a shockingly diverse group of flora in the park. One f the other bzarre collections was a jumping cholla garden which was really just a large area where this type of cactus seems happy. It was crazy seeng so many of one plant for a few acres on both sides of the road. They are called jumping chollas because if you get too close to them they will attach their spiny needles to you as they are like dandelions the way the flowers can blow in the wind. They had beautiful yellow flowers on them as well for that "come hither" look. Of course we stopped at Cap Rock to pay respects to Gram. This is where his manager and roady brought him after "stealing" his body at the airport as it was beng loaded to go to Louisiana to be buried. Here's the story on wiki. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gram_Parsons for those unfamiliar with the story. The park is probably one of my favorites of all time. For those who think the desert is devoid of life and ugly, this place will change your mind. The rocks/boulders, plants and colors are inspiring. Hoping to see a roadrunner or a bighorn sheep but no luck.

We pulled into the Joshua Tree Inn and found the staff on the phone with someone from outside of the U.S. wanting to reserve the entire inn (12 rooms) for a group. Was that you Yves? They charge ($50) for each room straight away which means the person on the phone was on for $600 so they were trying to find out the details of possible reimbursement if their friends failed to follow through. Short story long, we waited about fifteen minutes for this phone call to finish but there were many cool mementos on the walls to look at and a guitar sitting on a stand so I played Gram's Sin City to pass the time. The young woman recommended Pappy & Harriet's in Pioneer town eleven miles away for dinner. I knew of the place but thought of it as a music venue instead of a dining establishment as it is where Macca played a few years ago around tge time his tour landed in L.A. It's not only a tiny stage but the music area is small as well. Lots and lots of photos of artists who have played there from Lucinda Williams, Jim Lauderdale to Thelonious Monster and more. It took almost 30 minutes to get seated (the lady at the Inn said it was their slow night and we'd have no problems getting a table. Rebecca ordered a Glenfiddich while waiting and was rewarded with a dram of massve proportion for $9.50. It was more than a double pour, almost filling the glass. :o It was open mic night at Pappy's wth various levels of quality. I was going to sign up but realized I didn't have a guitar strap with me and tge stage was set for standing musicians. I have been playing pretty casual situations at hme where sitting is an option so it was a rookie mistake. Rebecca thought I was better than two of the first three we heard and we only stayed for four acts as our table needed to change and we were done in many ways. The place was so busy and crowded that it made it difficult for us having been in quiet/peaceful places most f the day. The reason they call it Pioneer Town is that it had been a place Hollywood had built for a movie and then left it behind. Some of the evidence was next to the auxiliary parking lot of Pappy's. A virtual western town all by itself. The town, such as is, is up in the hills north of Yucca Valley. Cudos to Rebecca for drivIng to Pappy's just before sundown which as searing our eyeballs as we headed west on 29 Palms Highway before finally turning north the final three miles. Walking out to the car afterwards we were rewarded by an amazing display of stars in the sky.

On the way east we went through Death Valley and on the return trip we came through the Colorado desert (Joshua Tree) and the Mojave desert. I didn't even know there was a town called Mojave.

We arrived in Tulare (Tulare Dust, a Merle Haggard reference) road weary. You know you're tired when arriving at your hotel makes you happy. We are 214 miles from home now so an easy drive tomorrow as long as we don't dink around and get caught in commute traffic. We shouldn't as it would be unusual for us to get a late start in the day.

We'd like to thank the Baron and Minnie for allowing us to stay with them in Austin. It was a nice reprieve after being with family for five nights and before we turned around to head west. It's been an extraordinary trip, one of my best and happy that Rebecca and I did so well together for 26 days! As Flower mentioned it isn't always easy being with someone all the time for such a long stretch but we did it.

Edit:we drove through Bakersfield and I saw the Crystal Palace (Buck Owens' old haunt) from the highway. Later we passed the exit for Merle Haggard Avenue.
Last edited by Six String on 30 Oct 2019, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Oct 2019, 11:21

Thanks for all the updates and information (that might be used in the future or not but thanks all the same.) So glad that you guys had such a fun time and can't imagine all the work, planning, hundreds of details, that this trip entailed.

Have a smooth journey home. :)

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Oct 2019, 14:36

Thanks. Rebecca did a lot of the organizng as that is her special power. She had done a similar but shorter trip with a girlfriend last year so she also had some real experience.

I forgot to mention another movie location we saw which was in Boron, CA yesterday in the Mojave Desert. It is where Erin Brockovich was filmed and also where borax is/was mined. The town of Boron has two small museums next to each other. One is about military jets (Edwards AFB is nearby where they are tested as well as where astronauts begin their training (see the Right Stuff). The other museum is about the mining of borax. It's all about the 20 Mule Team Borax Company which is how they got the mineral out of the ground and to market. It was used for laundry soap and other cleaning uses back in the day. We actually visited the borax museum as we needed to use the restroom and the local grocer had no public facilities. Besides the artifacts of minng and support we saw a few minutes of a dvd about the process. Who knew the hooking up of the twenty mules was so complex? The Twenty Mule Team Borax Company also supported the tv western Death Valley Days in the 1950s.
Last edited by Six String on 30 Oct 2019, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 30 Oct 2019, 14:57

I've really enjoyed your road-trip tales, Les! Makes me want to do something similar. I've been to various parts of the southwest, but never to Texas.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Oct 2019, 15:36

Thanks John. I should have started a thread instead of posting here but that didn't become obvious until I had made a couple of posts and I decided not to split it up.

Traveler hint. If you don't want to do posh rooms the Comfort Inn was easily the most consistent place we stayed in terms of quality. They were always quiet, spacious and provided really good beds. We stayed in a few nice places along the way but the basic needs were not better than the Comfort Inn and they seemed to be everywhere, even in the smallest towns.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Oct 2019, 15:52

It’s been great reading about your journey Les! It’s certainly sparked my interest in a road trip that’s usually kept in check by my absolute aversion to anything involving long car rides.
It was a joy to have you here, feel free to come back anytime!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Oct 2019, 16:31

Also, I don’t know if you have pictures in your attic but you and Rebecca don’t look any older than you did in 2010! What’s the secret?

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Oct 2019, 17:32

We had an appointment to get my US passport today. I didn’t know what to write in the ‘hair colour’ box and I said ‘do I write the colour that it was at birth or the colour that it is now?’ She said ‘whatever colour it will be when you travel’ which seems a bizarre thing to say.

Dr Markus wrote:

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Oct 2019, 18:59

I can tell you from experience that it's better to put down the color that your hair will be when using the passport. I was born with blonde hair which turned to medium brown as I grew older. I have changed my hair color many times but. I always use brown as my hair color on my passport. I was pulled aside once because I had blonde hair, the customs officer was a woman, so she just asked if I had dyed my hair and I answered with a truthful "YES" and it wasn't an issue.

My best friend's father was a high ranking customs official and the best advice that he gave me was that if anyone in customs asks you a question to always tell the truth.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Oct 2019, 20:15

Minnie the Minx wrote:Also, I don’t know if you have pictures in your attic but you and Rebecca don’t look any older than you did in 2010! What’s the secret?

Must be the wine and the (mostly) healthy eating. :D
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Oct 2019, 20:28

Home sweet home. We passed the 5,000 mile mark about 15 miles from my house. House is 58 F. Brrrr. Had to open the windows to get some warm air in the house. Air is a bit smoky here, no doubt from the Kincaid fire in Sonoma. :(

A couple of loose things I forgot.
In Tuscon we were finding our way to a coffee shop and drove passed a "gentlemen's" club and when we turned the corner we saw the real No Tell Motel. :lol:

In the breakfast place in Yucca Valley they had some words of wisdom framed around the room. Like "Wouldn't it be wonderful to be like a pair of boots. The older you get the better you feel." Then there was "If you want a stable relationship, get a horse." And finally, "If my horse doesn't like you I probably won't either." :)

@Minnie Road trips can be fun as long as you don't drive too much each day (about five hours worked for us). Better to not do one day stops like we frequently did unless you have a destination of decent length to get to. We were pretty good at hauling everything in and out of the car so much but it is a bit tiring. Bring food and wine to dine in the room as sometimes you might end up in a place that has poor food choices. Sometimes you're tired and don't want to bother going somewhere to eat.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”