33%
Upgrade to 4K
No votes

Total votes: 3

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

DVD - but which edition?

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Oct 2019, 15:13

I wonder if you face this dilemma, whether to get an early edition of a movie DVD, or a later edition. DVD's have been around for 22 years, but technology improves. Conversely, prints and negatives fade. Well, the colors do, anyway. And then there's wear and tear on the negs. I wonder when a film is digitized, if that is the master for all forthcoming editions, or if they go back to the neg for later editions. Really, I'd have to A/B to find out. But I know they do for restorations. I buy a lot in thrift or second hand on the internet, and generally, I don't go for the very early editions. And I do upgrade if I happen across a restoration, like I did with "The African Queen" today. Then there's Blu-ray. And don't get me started on 4K...

"Twister", the first cinematic feature film released on commercial DVD, March 1997.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: DVD - but which edition?

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Oct 2019, 16:26

Forget DVDs - you're two formats behind. Blu rays look and sound better and you can get a player for less than $100 (and they play DVDs too). Now they've got 4K blu ray which is supposedly better still, but you have to have a 4K TV to play it.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Oct 2019, 22:28

Matt Wilson wrote:Forget DVDs - you're two formats behind. Blu rays look and sound better and you can get a player for less than $100 (and they play DVDs too). Now they've got 4K blu ray which is supposedly better still, but you have to have a 4K TV to play it.

Yes, you are right, Blu-ray is noticeably better. I've seen the 4K TV's, the picture is amazingly bright and sharp. However. There are two things to consider:

Since VHS, every upgrade has resulted in a smaller selection of titles. Fewer titles on DVD, fewer still on Blu, and very few on 4K. LD never really took hold, but even there you had about 7,000 titles to choose from.

Second thing to consider is money. VHS can now be found for 10-20 pence or even free as they are being dumped en masse. Used DVD's can be found for a quid. There seems to be price parity for used Blu's - IF you can find them. 4K don't really figure on that market yet.

I would not have amassed thousands of titles, if I had abandoned the DVD format. I simply could not afford that many Blu's at retail. What I do is I buy select Blu's, limited editions, that sort of thing. Run of the mill, that is quality run of the mill, I go DVD all the way.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 29 Oct 2019, 22:33

4K is excellent. 2001 looks incredible. I don't have a huge number of UHD discs due to the stupid prices, if there are any I want I'll wait till there is an offer on. It also depends on whether the film is worth the difference between bluray and UHD.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Oct 2019, 22:57

Jeemo wrote:4K is excellent. 2001 looks incredible. I don't have a huge number of UHD discs due to the stupid prices, if there are any I want I'll wait till there is an offer on. It also depends on whether the film is worth the difference between bluray and UHD.

4K is very tempting, but, having gone through Betamax, VHS, LD, DVD, and now at Blu, I don't feel like yet another upgrade. I also have to take into account how much longer I have left. Say I live to 70, that's only 14 years away.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Oct 2019, 15:01

I dunno, I think you're wasting your time with DVD as they're not that much cheaper than a blu. If you say used blus are rare where you live then I guess I can see the appeal but otherwise...

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Oct 2019, 13:37

Matt Wilson wrote:I dunno, I think you're wasting your time with DVD as they're not that much cheaper than a blu. If you say used blus are rare where you live then I guess I can see the appeal but otherwise...

good blus at a quid are rare, unless you want run of the mill newies

Return to “Screenadelica”