Exceptional Bonus Tracks On CDs.

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Exceptional Bonus Tracks On CDs.

Postby C » 13 Oct 2019, 16:58

Here's two from the marvellously robust Broadsword album:

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Oct 2019, 18:21

That's a good call, C. I like some of those bonus tracks more than some of the songs on Broadsword and the Beast.

C
Robust

Postby C » 13 Oct 2019, 19:16

Matt Wilson wrote:That's a good call, C. I like some of those bonus tracks more than some of the songs on Broadsword and the Beast.

Indeed Matt. Although Broadsword is a very strong album.

Ian Anderson is on recorded as stating that the album contains some of Tull's best songs.

I'd agree with that

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Oct 2019, 19:27

Ian also wants us to think his eighties songs are as vital as his earlier ones.

I don't find that to be the case but to each their own.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Oct 2019, 19:41

Yeah, I liked both of those, C. Quintessential Tull And from an album I’ve never heard before.

I kind of stopped at Heavy Horses, but I will steam the album as soon as the opportunity presents.

My favourite Tull song, by the way: Life’s A Long Ssong.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Oct 2019, 05:21

Matt Wilson wrote:Ian also wants us to think his eighties songs are as vital as his earlier ones.

I don't find that to be the case but to each their own.

He is wrong of course, but I have a lot of time for Broadsword, both the album and its excellent bonus cuts.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Oct 2019, 05:25

There's loads of great bonus tracks on the most recent Mike Oldfield reissues, including long out of print original mixes, great demo versions of his long epics that sound like alternate versions in their own right, and some terrific live stuff that is often better than the album versions (definitely true for sub-par albums like Platinum and QE2).

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 14 Oct 2019, 11:33

Deep Purple: When A Blind Man Cries. I first heard this incredible song when it was released as the b-side to Never Before. The single got quite scratched, so I was delighted when it was issued with the 25th anniversary of Machine Head. What a solo by Blackmore! It's their Since I've Been Loving You. Enjoy.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 14 Oct 2019, 12:24

soundchaser wrote:

Deep Purple: When A Blind Man Cries. I first heard this incredible song when it was released as the b-side to Never Before. The single got quite scratched, so I was delighted when it was issued with the 25th anniversary of Machine Head. What a solo by Blackmore! It's their Since I've Been Loving You. Enjoy.

It was the 3rd track on the New Live & Rare 7 inch EP released in 1977 on purple vinyl.
I probably bought it because it was on purple vinyl! but remember liking that track a lot.
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Oct 2019, 16:52

Muskrat wrote:Same for Who Sell Out.

That's my favorite expansion. It's a whole bonus album! And it's superb.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Oct 2019, 16:54

Similar, MX 80 Sound's album Hard Attack. Bonus disc of early songs never recorded in a studio.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 16 Oct 2019, 08:47

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:
soundchaser wrote:

It was the 3rd track on the New Live & Rare 7 inch EP released in 1977 on purple vinyl.
I probably bought it because it was on purple vinyl! but remember liking that track a lot.

Good call!
I had it on this 1973 album and it might very well be my favourite Purple track!

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Oct 2019, 15:19

Pretty Things' SF Sorrow has a clutch of wonderful extras with Defecting Grey, Mr. Evasion, Talkin' About the Good Times and Walking Through My Dreams. Similarly Parachute's extras are not too shabby either.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Oct 2019, 15:22

C wrote:
The exceptionally BAD tracks that come to mind are on Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die where they are placed between sides 1 and 2 of the original album! Whatever was soem idiot thinking...?!

The first time XTC's albums were reissued with bonus tracks they were inserted between side 1 and 2 of the album completely destroying the flow. The extra tracks were generally good but inserting them in the middle of the original album was totally idiotic.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Oct 2019, 16:20

trans-chigley express wrote:Pretty Things' SF Sorrow has a clutch of wonderful extras.

Good call Ray-lad

Good call

I'll add 4 Way Street by CSN&Y

King Midas In Reverse, Laughing, Black Queen and Medley: The Loner/Cinnamon Girl/Down by the River- all absolute corkers

Inserted at the end of the acoustics.

The only problem is that when Stills (?) says 'we are going to take a ten minute break and come back and play electric music and boogie' they don't - the extras continue with 'wooden music'

In this case, I would have inserted the extras before Love the One You're With so the statement above makes sense.

What do you think?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Oct 2019, 06:06

Ugh, I find "Triad" creepy. Those Byrds reissues from the 90's did have great bonus tracks, though.

I thought XTC's 'Mummer' was enhanced by the cd bonus tracks, though it was already a great album without them.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Oct 2019, 09:47

pcqgod wrote:
I thought XTC's 'Mummer' was enhanced by the cd bonus tracks, though it was already a great album without them.

It's not the bonus tracks per se that are the problem but the fact they are inserted between side 1 and side 2 of the album. I want my bonus stuff after the album or on a separate CD.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Oct 2019, 11:47

trans-chigley express wrote:I want my bonus stuff after the album or on a separate CD.

Hear, hear

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 18 Oct 2019, 12:11

I didn’t like the way Wings slipped the crappy Helen Wheels onto the Band On The Run special edition CD box.

But until Wiki, I didn’t know it was released on the original American vinyl.

It still shouldn't be there, though.
Last edited by soundchaser on 18 Oct 2019, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 18 Oct 2019, 12:25

I also didn't like the way the stand-alone single Virginia Plain was inserted in the middle of the CD of the eponymous first album. And i was pissed off that the b-side hadn't been included as a bonus track. Not the best Roxy track by any stretch of the imagination and more of a jam really, but even so:

Return to “Yakety Yak”