67%
a steak sandwich
33%

Total votes: 3

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Sandwiches

Postby Jimbo » 11 Oct 2019, 08:55

"Slap it between two shingles and I'll eat it." That sounds like something Grandad would have said. Actually he might have said it but I never heard him say it. But then I was not with him all the time so he could have said it when we were apart. Too bad he died before I was born.

My best improvised meal was a canned spinach sandwich with white bread and mayo. Had to squeeze the spinach dry beforehand but it was a damned good stoned munchie meal.
Question authority.

Flower

Re: Sandwiches

Postby Flower » 11 Oct 2019, 11:47

My grandfather died when my Dad was seven years old, so I don't have any 'Grandpa sandwich' recipes.

The simplest sandwich which I really like is just freshly sliced tomatoes on white bread (don't faint as I do eat white bread from time to time) with lots of Hellman's mayo.

When I was living in New Orleans (school and other times), I became addicted to both oyster and shrimp Po' Boys .. dressed with lettuce, tomato and mayo. Half a Po' boy was always more than enough.

I miss Mandina's and Acme for this reason alone.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Oct 2019, 12:08

There was this Chinese restaurant in Ellenville called the Terrace Room and neither I nor anybody I knew ever ordered Chinese food. Somehow they served a roast pork on hot crunchy garlic bread sandwich, an "RPG" that made you forget there was any other kind of food in the world.

What inspired this thread was listening to a James Ellroy book and he mentioned a "french dip" sandwich. Dunking the french bread into the au jus sauce ... yum.
Question authority.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Oct 2019, 12:39

My grandfather didn’t eat fucking SANDWICHES.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Oct 2019, 12:39

I’m sure my other grandfather would’ve though. He’d eat any old shit.
Last edited by BARON CORNY DOG on 11 Oct 2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Oct 2019, 12:44

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Oct 2019, 13:06

I'm partial to an egg and cress myself.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 11 Oct 2019, 14:27

I'm a central New Jersey boy hence its not a sandwich its a sub.
The A+ sub is called a super sub
it has Pressed Ham, Boiled Ham, Cappacola, Salami, Provolone, American Cheese, shredded lettuce, tomato, onions, oregano mix and oil and vinegar.
Going to NJ tomorrow I'm sure I'll have one!

If in NOLA then yes its a oyster Po' Boys
In NYC and Westchester county it's a Italian sub - Prosciutto, salami, capacola sausage, provolone, sweet and spicy peppers, oil and vinegar, lettuce,tomato, oregano mix.

Home - staple is tuna, onions or celery with lettuce and red onion on a toasted bagel.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 11 Oct 2019, 14:47

All that's very well but you can't beat a traditional, filling, hearty British ham sandwich from Boots.

(I'm sure the bread is as tough as boots as well)

Flower

Postby Flower » 11 Oct 2019, 20:15

Once upon a time .. in the city known as New Orleans .. in the section called the CBD .. was a small cafe/restaurant called Eat No Evil. There were two sandwiches which I'd order ..

One was egg salad on mulitgrain (very frou frou) bread with sprouts and avocado.

The other was tuna salad wtih all else the same as above.

Both sandwiches were tasty with fabulous texture.

I miss those sandwiches.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 12 Oct 2019, 00:11

peanut butter, smoked cheese and chorizo; that's what I'll be having tonight
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Oct 2019, 17:44

Just remembering the sausage, pepper and onion heroes from the street vendors at the Feast of St. Anthony and/or the Feast of San Gennero in the West Village and Little Italy. NYC has some great street food.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Oct 2019, 19:11

If you want a good sandwich don't come to Japan. There's lots of good bread, mustard, mayo, tuna ... hellooo. Beef is a problem for some reason and corned beef or pastrami sandwiches forget about it. I'm not a ham guy and there seems to be plenty of ham but a restaurant that serves a ham sandwich? Forget about that too. What's great here is Japanese food but a simple and good sandwich? Someone forgot.
Question authority.

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Oct 2019, 21:02

Ha! In my mind ... sandwiches & Japan .. equals being crushed in a subway car.

I'm not a fan of ham but you seem to have the blue print of what a great sandwich shop should be, so think about opening one, find a great name and logo .. invent some specialty sandwiches .. patent everything and when it's all running well and some corporate guy offers a buy out ... the ball is in your court.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 13 Oct 2019, 14:25

Vegemite of course.

I have a sausage sandwich for breakfast more or less every day.

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Oct 2019, 21:25

Once upon a time on MacDougal Street near Minetta Lane in Greenwich Village, there was a small Greek restaurant that was called Sir Taki or something close to it ... a small family place that had the best steak kabob in pita bread sandwiches.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 14 Oct 2019, 00:28

Jimbo wrote:If you want a good sandwich don't come to Japan. There's lots of good bread, mustard, mayo, tuna ... hellooo. Beef is a problem for some reason and corned beef or pastrami sandwiches forget about it. I'm not a ham guy and there seems to be plenty of ham but a restaurant that serves a ham sandwich? Forget about that too. What's great here is Japanese food but a simple and good sandwich? Someone forgot.

The ones with katsu in are OK.

But generally it is spongy white bread and too much sweet mayo.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Oct 2019, 04:16

Ringo likes a good bacon sandwich.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Oct 2019, 04:18

Buckingham Palace - white bread with crust cut off, margarine spread, sliced cucumber
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Oct 2019, 04:22

Flower wrote:Once upon a time on MacDougal Street near Minetta Lane in Greenwich Village, there was a small Greek restaurant that was called Sir Taki or something close to it ... a small family place that had the best steak kabob in pita bread sandwiches.

Eating souflaki in Greece or felafal in Israel is a sandwich lover's dream.

Back to Japan, if you are a curious type of person you could scratch that itch and try the whipped cream and fruit on crust-less white. Available in any convenience store.
Question authority.

Return to “Nextdoorland”