Fogerty's folly

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Fogerty's folly

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Oct 2019, 20:07

Picked up John Fogerty's nasty nightmare album from 1986, "Eye of the Zombie". This one was released just a year after his brilliant comeback album, "Centerfield", and it is not nearly as good. In fact, it is really quite dreadful. Sure, there are some passable tracks, but with Fogerty, you expect all good stuff, and a screecher like "Headlines" just sinks the whole damn thing. I bought the album on CD back in the 90s and got rid of it after a few plays. Now, in 2019, I gave it another shot, this time an HDCD remaster, and it is just as bad now, remastered dreadful instead of plain old dreadful. And I am not alone in having that opinion. Sure enough, "Eye of the Zombie" tanked in 1986, and Fogerty took another decade-long hiatus from recording. Off to Accord it goes.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Sneelock

Re: Fogerty's folly

Postby Sneelock » 03 Oct 2019, 20:10

yeah, that one's a stinker.
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Oct 2019, 20:15

You know googa, I've told you this before, you don't have to buy everything just to hear it. If you listened to it back in the day and didn't like it, listen to it again on youtube for free before you waste money on another CD.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Oct 2019, 20:23

But it was only 50 pence, which I will recover by trading it in at Accord. I do that sort of thing every month. There might be a case of sampling youtube for full price CD's, but when you are standing there in a thrift shop, you have to act fast.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 Oct 2019, 21:00

GoogaMooga wrote:but when you are standing there in a thrift shop, you have to act fast.

On a lousy Fogerty solo record!?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Oct 2019, 21:42

I think the next remaster is likely to be the keeper. I am holding out. We must have standards or whats it all worth?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Oct 2019, 22:54

bobzilla77 wrote:I think the next remaster is likely to be the keeper. I am holding out. We must have standards or whats it all worth?

:lol:

What is it they say about a silk purse from a sow's ear?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Oct 2019, 00:47

Fogerty doesn’t even like it!

(In this CCR fan’s opinion there isn’t even much to recommend Centerfield other than the hits. Granted, there are a bunch of those.)

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Oct 2019, 04:52

My first impressions pretty much stand the test of time; if I didn't like it then, I'm unlikely to come around later.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 04 Oct 2019, 13:19

Charlie O. wrote:Fogerty doesn’t even like it!

(In this CCR fan’s opinion there isn’t even much to recommend Centerfield other than the hits. Granted, there are a bunch of those.)

It's great, although I hate the drums on side 2.

`

Postby ` » 04 Oct 2019, 14:25

bobzilla77 wrote:
I think the next remaster is likely to be the keeper. I am holding out. We must have standards or whats it all worth?

Fuck that, you wuss! It's only seven more years until the 40th anniversary deluxe box set.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 06 Oct 2019, 00:30

Powehi wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:

Fuck that, you wuss! It's only seven more years until the 40th anniversary deluxe box set.

Well ain't that a bitch. Ok we'll hold on, maybe that one will have the All Drums mix.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 Oct 2019, 04:39

His next album (really) is a live set, recorded earlier this year. No surprises, either.
He's just given up.

1. Born On The Bayou (Live at Red Rocks)
2. Green River (Live At Red Rocks)
3. Lookin' Out My Back Door (Live At Red Rocks)
4. Susie Q (Live at Red Rocks)
5. Who'll Stop the Rain (Live at Red Rocks)
6. Hey Tonight (Live at Red Rocks)
7. Up Around the Bend (Live at Red Rocks)
8. Rock and Roll Girls (Live at Red Rocks)
9. I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Live at Red Rocks)
10. Long As I Can See The Light (Live at Red Rocks)
11. Run Through The Jungle (Live at Red Rocks)
12. Keep On Chooglin' (Live at Red Rocks)
13. Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Live at Red Rocks)
14. Down On The Corner (Live at Red Rocks)
15. Centerfield (Live at Red Rocks)
16. The Old Man Down The Road (Live at Red Rocks)
17. Fortunate Son (Live at Red Rocks)
18. Bad Moon Rising (Live at Red Rocks)
19. Proud Mary (Live at Red Rocks)
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”