Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby The Slider » 12 Aug 2019, 22:03

you had to be there
I did in 1980, I haven't since
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Aug 2019, 04:19

Gillan has been one of my favorite singers since I was a little kid, a lot of drama and power there.

Pipes wise, Dio is technically better, maybe. But Gillan is ferocious and always on point.

Ozzy's great for Sabbath - better than the others who are technically way better - but not what most call an impressive singer.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 16:07

bobzilla77 wrote:Gillan has been one of my favorite singers since I was a little kid, a lot of drama and power there.

Pipes wise, Dio is technically better, maybe. But Gillan is ferocious and always on point.

Ozzy's great for Sabbath - better than the others who are technically way better - but not what most call an impressive singer.

Robust observations

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Aug 2019, 16:21

I don't really care about 'who has the best voice,' or any of that shit. 'Who can hit the highest pitch' or whatever. I'm strictly going by which vocalist has recorded the most songs I like - and it's Ozzy, easily. Though I love Deep Purple, Gillan only recorded three great studio albums with the band, plus one great live one (never was too big a fan of Who Do We Think We Are). I guess when I think about it I really do like Perfect Strangers, but not like the '70 - '72 trifecta (not to mention Made in Japan).

Dio probably has the most power of the three, or at least he makes me want to bang my head the most - and the first three Rainbow LPs are the shit, just not quite as good as In Rock, Fireball, and Machine Head. Holy Diver is something of a classic, and Last in Line is a worthy follow up. Still, he places third for me.

And that leaves Ozzy. Six utter classic albums with Sabbath, two awesome solo LPs with Rhandy, and a handful of great tunes after that. He might actually be worth the other two combined in my estimation.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 16:29

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't really care about 'who has the best voice,' or any of that shit. 'Who can hit the highest pitch' or whatever. I'm strictly going by which vocalist has recorded the most songs I like - and it's Ozzy, easily. Though I love Deep Purple, Gillan only recorded three great studio albums with the band, plus one great live one (never was too big a fan of Who Do We Think We Are). I guess when I think about it I really do like Perfect Strangers, but not like the '70 - '72 trifecta (not to mention Made in Japan).

Dio probably has the most power of the three, or at least he makes me want to bang my head the most - and the first three Rainbow LPs are the shit, just not quite as good as In Rock, Fireball, and Machine Head. Holy Diver is something of a classic, and Last in Line is a worthy follow up. Still, he places third for me.

And that leaves Ozzy. Six utter classic albums with Sabbath, two awesome solo LPs with Rhandy, and a handful of great tunes after that. He might actually be worth the other two combined in my estimation.

All fair points, but on that logic does that make Bill Ward the 'best' of the three tub thumpers....?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Aug 2019, 16:40

Which three? Ward, Paice, and ?

And I forgot about the two Sabbath albums with Ronnie, he may be second in line for me now, after Ozzy.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Aug 2019, 16:53

Bill Ward is the greatest drummer of all time.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 17:13

Matt Wilson wrote:Which three? Ward, Paice, and ?

And I forgot about the two Sabbath albums with Ronnie, he may be second in line for me now, after Ozzy.

I was thinking the big 3/4 Matt

Paicey, Bill and Cozy/Appice

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 17:14

Still Baron wrote:Bill Ward is the greatest drummer of all time.

You jest my dear friend

You jest...(?)

He may have been, like Ozzy, the right fit for the job but....!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Aug 2019, 17:18

All of those guys are good. Don't know who I prefer in terms of Powell or Appice, but I love Ian so I'm going with him.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Aug 2019, 17:24

C wrote:
Still Baron wrote:Bill Ward is the greatest drummer of all time.

You jest my dear friend

You jest...(?)

He may have been, like Ozzy, the right fit for the job but....!

Your allegiance to Doug Clifford is admirable. Fair enough! I might even agree. We’ll say Bill Ward is the greatest British drummer and be done with it.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 17:37

Still Baron wrote:Your allegiance to Doug Clifford is admirable.

:lol:

Good lad

Yes, good lad

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 27 Aug 2019, 17:52

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't really care about 'who has the best voice,' or any of that shit. 'Who can hit the highest pitch' or whatever. I'm strictly going by which vocalist has recorded the most songs I like - and it's Ozzy, easily. Though I love Deep Purple, Gillan only recorded three great studio albums with the band, plus one great live one (never was too big a fan of Who Do We Think We Are). I guess when I think about it I really do like Perfect Strangers, but not like the '70 - '72 trifecta (not to mention Made in Japan).

By your criterion I would also place Ozzy at no 1, but I don’t especially like his voice. And he’s a tool.
Definitely had the pick of the guitarists to work with, which is why I like his music. Jake E Lee for the crown.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 28 Sep 2019, 04:34

Ozzy is really only as good as the guys around him. I love Sabbath and the first two records with Randy but it's all downhill (and fast) after that.

Gillian has great phrasing and can scream like no ones business. I don't hear a lot of dynamics with him, though.

Dio has the range, the phrasing and a great (albeit often goofy) way of delivering a lyric. Plus, as others have mentioned his voice has some heft to it.

I'd pick Ronnie.
He tries.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 28 Sep 2019, 04:34

Oh, but I would like to add that Zero The Hero, played at ear splitting volume, is one of the finest activities one can engage in.
He tries.

Return to “Yakety Yak”