D.A.F.

Do talk back
never/ever

D.A.F.

Postby never/ever » 27 Sep 2019, 13:16

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that DAF's Delgado and Gorl are still around and play live here down under in November.

Brought out their albums again and still believe Die Kleinen Und Die Bosen, Ales Its Gut and Gold Und Liebe are terrific, primal electronic albums.

Can't say though I followed much of their later output, I did hear some of Robert Gorl's solo-material which lacked a bit of punch in my mind.

Underrated bunch or a bunch of chancers?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: D.A.F.

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Sep 2019, 16:08

Did they do Der Kommissar? That's all I know.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Sep 2019, 11:13

No, Googa. No. Very much no.

I got the DAF box set as a Christmas prezzie. Really solid band, but not one I find I love as much as many others from the era. Some good to great tracks, but I think they're missing a spark that would set 'em up for genuine greatness.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 29 Sep 2019, 11:39

Darkness_Fish wrote:No, Googa. No. Very much no.

I got the DAF box set as a Christmas prezzie. Really solid band, but not one I find I love as much as many others from the era. Some good to great tracks, but I think they're missing a spark that would set 'em up for genuine greatness.

D.A.F. were quirky enough and certainly a product of their time but even if their albums missed a certain kind of depth, I didn't think they were missing a spark as such but certainly their earlier, more post-punk orientated material still has the same abrasiveness which stands up well today whereas the electronic material suffered slightly.

Still, I love stuff like this!

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 29 Sep 2019, 14:49

I loved Der Mussolini but nothing else really made any impression.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 29 Sep 2019, 20:40

Jeemo wrote:I loved Der Mussolini but nothing else really made any impression.

I was just going to say that!