Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 04 Aug 2019, 17:09

Matt Wilson wrote: I mean you really do believe you're in 1969 Los Angeles..

And yet neither look particularly late sixties in that poster (especially not Pitt)
Matt Wilson wrote: without giving away too many spoilers, Quentin rewrites history again at the end, just like he did in Inglorious Basterds, so if that film bothered you, prepare yourself..

Actually you gave away the twist a couple of sentences above. But s'okay as I'd already guessed that that was what Tarantino would do.

Looking forward to seeing it, but not expecting a classic.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Aug 2019, 03:24

Rocket Man (2019)

I enjoyed how this movie (probably unintentionally) subverts the opening scene of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in its own book-ending sequence. The confessional structure, plus the imaginative musical numbers made it a more cinematic experience for me than the Queen biopic's dry, television movie style "band on the rise" format. Also I felt the dramatic bits had more impact, but otherwise it's pretty much the exact same "musical prodigy with strained familial relations falls into the traps of excess and comes to terms with himself after confronting his sexuality and finding the right person' story. Although with a happier ending!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

`

Postby ` » 06 Aug 2019, 09:25

pcqgod wrote:Image

Rocket Man (2019)

Bohemian Rhapsody...with a happier ending!

Really? EJ was still making records and playing live last I heard.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Aug 2019, 21:27

Powehi wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Image

Rocket Man (2019)

Bohemian Rhapsody...with a happier ending!

Really? EJ was still making records and playing live last I heard.

My last sentence was referring to 'Rocket Man.'
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Aug 2019, 20:39

Big, dumb summer fun. Saw it at the drive-in, even.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Aug 2019, 21:41

Jeemo wrote:Wee guy wanted to see Yesterday, yesterday. Can honestly say it's one of the worst films I have ever seen. It also has a jaw droppingly awful scene. Dont waste your money trust me.

Nonsense.

It’s delightful.

And it’s got Lily James.

(And Ed Sheeran.)

If you don’t like Richard Curtis, don’t go. If you do, you’ll love it.

I sense BCB movie watchers are probably a long way up they own arses so I may very well be alone, which is fine.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 07 Aug 2019, 23:15

Lord Rother wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Wee guy wanted to see Yesterday, yesterday. Can honestly say it's one of the worst films I have ever seen. It also has a jaw droppingly awful scene. Dont waste your money trust me.

Nonsense.

It’s delightful.

And it’s got Lily James.

(And Ed Sheeran.)

If you don’t like Richard Curtis, don’t go. If you do, you’ll love it.

I sense BCB movie watchers are probably a long way up they own arses so I may very well be alone, which is fine.

Where to start. As I said if wasnt my choice, The Wee guy wanted to see it, so I took him. However, I have enough critical facilities about me to judge a film on its merits, even if it's not particularly my taste.

Do I love movies? Yes. Do I like a lot of movies that are regarded as classics or artistic? Yes. Does that mean I'm "a long way up my own arse" no it doesn't.

The film doesn't even follow it's own internal logic. The main character can remember The Beatles but all his albums have ceased to exist. The Beatles were never sucessful. Yet, later in the film two other characters turn up that know the Beatles, and one of them is waving a Yellow Submarine. Why didnt this disappear along with the afore mentioned albums.

As for the appearance of a certain person, delightful? Christ, man its one of the most hackneyed moments in cinema history.

Every character was a cardboard cliche. And then there was the charisma vacuum of Ed Sheeran.

Yes it's a fantasy, but that's no excuse for this car crash. It's a Wonderful Life is also a fantasy and is perfection. I saw Hobbs and Shaw at the weekend with the Wee Guy. Also a fantasy, gloriously over the top entertainment.
You liked Yesterday, good for you. It's just your opinion, my opinion is that it was complete and utter shite.

I sense your opinions on film are just like your opinions on music. Totally out of step with mine. Which is fine.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 08 Aug 2019, 07:09

Oh God Yes, the plot was a real back of a fag packet job, but I can’t hide the fact that I was thoroughly entertained and came out with a feel-good glow from watching it.

Sometimes you want to be challenged, scared, exhausted from laughing, intrigued, in awe..... for sure Yesterday did none of those. But it didn’t need to (for me).

I’m an intelligent enough guy though not at all intellectual and maybe that’s an advantage when it comes to watching / reading / listening. I just engage with the level something is pitched at and rarely analyse it too deeply. Maybe that’s a bit shallow but it works for me.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Aug 2019, 09:10

I agree that meeting something at the level that it is pitched at, is how to generally approach stuff. I just thought that Yesterday failed on that basis badly.

Anyway, must get back to my box set of Eisenstien black and white silent classics.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Aug 2019, 18:33

Pretty forgettable black comedy/thriller kinda thing. Starts out okay but becomes predictable and rote promptly.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Sep 2019, 22:04

This was enjoyable, but vaguely annoying in its own hyper-competence (it's Aaron Sorkin helming, don't ya know).

French zombie film about how to live when you're (presumably) the last non-zombie in the world. Really good, I thought.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Sep 2019, 16:19

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

French zombie film about how to live when you're (presumably) the last non-zombie in the world. Really good, I thought.

Yeah, I liked that one a lot. I think it's the definitive film in the zombie & experimental percussion genre.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 18 Sep 2019, 15:20

I really loved this Jarmusch film. Sophisticated vampires and a great soundtrack!
The crazy music drives you insane

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2019, 19:45

^^^ Thanks for reminder that I really want to see that. I've placed it on my Netflix queue.

Meanwhile,

Us, d. Jordan Peele, U.S. 2019

I thought this was excellent. Most movies with this premise are just rote and predictable, but this was very original, compelling, exciting and spooky.

Also,

M, d. Fritz Lang, Germany 1931

Found the Criterion double DVD at a flea market for two bucks, so what the heck. As great as ever, and I wept at Peter Lorre's oration in the climax of the film. Just... the humanity of it. What a performance!

There's a hilarious sequence where the various guilds and syndicates gather and carp about how the murders are putting a crimp in their operations and it's a SMOKE-FEST. Like, virtually every person is smoking and you can almost hardly even see their faces.

I wonder what Lang scholars make of it.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 25 Sep 2019, 20:59

Came across this when I was looking for Spanish language films to go with an upcoming trip to Spain. Good fun.
The crazy music drives you insane

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 26 Sep 2019, 02:36

^^^ I recall that being hilarious.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Sep 2019, 14:56

It really was!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Sep 2019, 17:09

Based on Evelyn Waugh's novel of the same name, A Handful of Dust hinges on a deeply toxic marriage, an accidental death and the subsequent escape from this quagmire by English country gent, Tony Last. He's off into the wilds of the Amazonian jungle on some tomfool expedition equipped with a box of wind-up mechanical mice amongst key supplies. All told, he probably should have stayed at home.
A fine cast with Anjelica Huston in a supporting role stealing the show.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Sep 2019, 02:34

‘The Chess Players’ - Satyajit Ray. From 1977 so to date, the most ‘recent’ Ray film I’ve seen. As everything, absolutely fucking great.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Oct 2019, 16:15

Not much to do with the Elmore Leonard novel of the same name, except the rough premise, but this is entertaining enough.

Return to “Screenadelica”