New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
`

Re: New now reading

Postby ` » 19 Sep 2019, 12:04

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Powehi wrote:

The Murray Head song inspired by the little boy who went up to Shoeless Joe not long after is none too shabby either

and also Shoeless Joe makes an appearance in Field of Dreams

The eight baseball players are the Eight Men Out.

Whose story also formed the basis of a rather splendid John Sayles movie of the same name from the late 80s/early 90s

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Sep 2019, 13:42

The movie Jeemo quotes above, one assumes?

Anyone would think we'd linked all these things together.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 Sep 2019, 15:10

Who can tell.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

`

Postby ` » 19 Sep 2019, 15:46

Diamond Dog wrote:The movie Jeemo quotes above, one assumes?

Anyone would think we'd linked all these things together.

Apologies, I thought he was referencing the eight men whose ghosts pitched* up when Costner's character laid out the diamond in FoD rather than the actors who played the Black Sox in Sayles' more factual retelling.

*See what I did there?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Sep 2019, 12:40

Trevor Noah’s ‘Born a Crime’ which was an airport grab. Surprisingly funny- laugh out loud funny in parts- and pretty gritty. You’ll never look at caterpillars the same way again.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Sep 2019, 12:41

having said that, I don’t know how you already look at caterpillars.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Sep 2019, 12:56

Patrick Humphries "Rolling Stones 69".

It says '69, but alot of the detail goes back further, particularly from '67 onwards. A really enjoyable read up until now, even allowing for the odd typo......

Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Oct 2019, 02:09

I finished Michael Palin's first set of diaries which was both hilarious and sad. Watching all the last Monty Python episodes recently, you can really pinpoint all the things he discusses in the book about who took over what aspect of writing and when - and not always for the best. It's also weird reading those diaries knowing what ultimately happens to everyone in them - not just the Pythons but all the entourage and everyone they associated with. Some of the writing about George Harrison is really sweet. I got the second set of diaries delivered today so I'll get into that once I've done with "What Makes Sammy Run" by Budd Schulberg which is going down great guns.

Dr Markus wrote:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Oct 2019, 06:19

Dylan Jones "The Wichita Lineman".

Yep a whole book about the song - and the major players (particularly Jimmy Webb & Glen Campbell but others as well) in its idea, writing, playing, recording and legacy etc etc.

So far - very entertaining!

Cocaine

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 10 Oct 2019, 10:03

Currently about half way through Peter Crouch’s autobiography How To Be A Footballer. Started a bit slow but it’s getting funnier the more you read. What comes over most is what a genuinely lovely bloke he is.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

`

Postby ` » 10 Oct 2019, 14:25

Johnny Fartpants wrote:Currently about half way through Peter Crouch’s autobiography How To Be A Footballer. Started a bit slow but it’s getting funnier the more you read. What comes over most is what a genuinely lovely bloke he is.

Dipping in and out of that myself and enjoying it greatly - one of the few footballers you could imagine going and having a couple of pints with.

Always had a lot of time for him since he was asked what he thought he'd be if he wasn't a footballer and replied "a virgin".

`

Postby ` » 10 Oct 2019, 14:25

Sorry, DP
Last edited by ` on 10 Oct 2019, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

`

Postby ` » 10 Oct 2019, 14:29

Even sorrier, TP
Last edited by ` on 10 Oct 2019, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

`

Postby ` » 10 Oct 2019, 14:29

1,000 apologies, QP
Last edited by ` on 10 Oct 2019, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Oct 2019, 06:16

Charles Brandt "I Heard You Paint Houses"

Robert De Niro, Al Pacino & Joe Pesci all star in the newest Martin Scorsese film "The Irishman" which is due for release in the UK in November.... it's getting rave reviews and this is the book it is based upon.

I mean -what more do you want?
Cocaine

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Oct 2019, 12:01

Jimbo wrote:Image

Now, on to Ellroy's newest.

Finally finished this one. What a slog. And well worth it. If hard boiled is your thing you will love this book. If terse verse is your thing, grab it. If only to see Ellroy hunker all his brain cells together and focus on a 130 chapter, 20 or more character historical epic about wartime LA then I recommend this book. If, however, you treasure time and appreciating life, don't start.

Next.

Question authority.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 14 Oct 2019, 22:14

I'm dipping into this:

The contents page lists an author called “Juliane Maclaren-Ross”, which is really unfortunate (for Julian).

And mainly reading:

A War and Peace-sized potboiler set in 19th-century Madrid. Character-churn can be a problem with such a vast book – people disappearing from events and popping up again 600 pages later - but I'm reading it at a fairly brisk pace so as not to forget names. My favourite character is Papitos, the scatterbrained servant girl – every time she appears you know damage/chaos/mayhem will ensue. 400 pages to go!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Oct 2019, 13:37

One of the 100 best books about Scotland, according to The Scottish Books Trust, or someone like that. Bit of a doorstop of a novel, which covers a 6 hour nocturnal broadcast on a Glaswegian Asian community radio station. Lots of pop philosophy, musings on the state of multi-cultural relationships, Trainspotting-esque dialgogue intertwined with Urdu, and a piss-poor playlist including Kula Shaker and The Beatles.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 18 Oct 2019, 15:58

Image[/quote]

I know I said I was going to read Bloomenthal's newest next but as I read it dawned on me that non-fiction is real, too real. So I gave that one up for this one, the last in the new Flashman series.

And it is a hoot with Flashy in France when Napoleon escapes from Elba and he goes undercover as a French officer. The digestibility between the two books is remarkable, the first hard to swallow and Flashman going down like chocolate milk.

So that will be done by tomorrow and for my next I chose a book by Russell Banks, an author just recommended in a podcast by Chris Hedges as his favorite author. The book may be the longest audio book I have ever chosen at 29 hours but it is a historical novel about John Brown in pre-Civil War US.

Question authority.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Oct 2019, 21:47

Short fiction and non-fiction pieces. Pretty good.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Nextdoorland”