Democrat candidates so far. . .

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Democrat candidates so far. . .

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Aug 2019, 07:51

I'd broadly instinctively agree with that but, without knowing the intricacies of the crucial swing states views on the subjects, I think it's still a leap to say either way (unless that information is available and absolutely solid - which it may well be).
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 31 Aug 2019, 22:03

We agree. My point was that it IS a leap, either way.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Aug 2019, 22:24

:lol: “Plan 9 from Outer Space” Logic!
Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s no law that says you can’t have heroin AND bagels! It’s not either or!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Sep 2019, 06:09

You are the guy pointing to a losing campaign as an example of how to win! :roll:

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Sep 2019, 07:05

i’ll leave the winning to you.
You’re a real winner, Davey.
Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s no law that says you can’t have heroin AND bagels! It’s not either or!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Sep 2019, 09:12

I’m getting tired of so much winning.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 04 Sep 2019, 21:22

You said it. The winning is just beyond exhausting at this point. :(
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Sep 2019, 03:05

... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Sep 2019, 15:39

I didn't watch the whole thing but I thought the CNN "global warming forum" (or whatever the hell) was the single best look at the candidates that I've seen so far. While the field has already thinned - each candidate was presented with as many good thoughtful questions as knuckleballs and had the luxury of time to either explain their position or hang themselves with a length of imaginary rope.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Sep 2019, 03:17

It looks like Warren might really kick some ass in New Hampshire. Those people are amped.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Sep 2019, 04:05

Tulsi’s crowd is smaller than Michael Bennett’s. Her speech was pretty good and those attending were enthusiastic but they wouldn’t have filled a high school auditorium. I’m more than a little surprised.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Sep 2019, 00:56

another debate. I couldn't help but notice that every candidate acknowledged every other candidate after being announced..
up until candiate #5 - Elizabeth Warren. she and the other four didn't even exchange glances. as the remaining 5 were announced - Warren only acknowledged people to her right.

who CARES what Rahm Emmanuel has to say about any-goddam-thing?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Sep 2019, 00:58

it's like the pundits need to explain to you before the debate begins what's at stake and who needs to do what.
the pundits are effectively presented as being as important, if not MORE important than the candidates themselves.
the candidates are standing there with their heads bowed while big media pundits on stools do their whole "inside baseball" routine. zzzzz.
how the hell did we get here?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Sep 2019, 01:24

so much for Joe's strong start.
he thinks he's going to win a shouting contest with Bernie?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Sep 2019, 16:14

ok, to be fair, everybody had moments where they came off very well & Joe is no exception. His answers on trade and foreign policy were often direct. even when I disagreed I thought his positions could be very well reasoned and expressed. in fact, his opening statement, I felt, was among his strongest moments. At least half the people on that stage overuse what I call "TV Hands". There is a very annoying over labored tendency among people running for President to "talk with their hands". while this is meant to make them look engaging and spontaneous - I think it usually makes them look like someone who spends too much time listening to people tell them what they should do while they talk. Next to Bernie, I think Biden was least troubled by this annoyance.

But JEEZ, that dude just can't resist getting on everybody else's case and since the pundits seemed to encourage (and later justify) this behavior he did an awful lot of it. He got the Lion's Share of the media discussions about "fighting back" and so on but Castro was right and anyone who says he was showboating knows what they are doing - rigging the game for somebody who REALLY bombed out in a lot of the polls that showed up between last night and this morning.

Not shutting up about Obama and talking about record players with that "get off my lawn" glare on his face really made him look bad IMO. I single him out because the general consensus seems to be that he was "the winner" -- well, I think everybody ELSE was and that Joe is a good part of the reason.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Sep 2019, 16:21

well, I think Yang finally had his "google night" and all he had to do to get is was offer FREE MONEY!!! LOL.
I think Harris is stalling out. she talks past the deadline WAY too much. if you do that - you need to say something interesting. she doesn't.
I think Booker is picking up. in this & the "Climate Forum" he has come off very relaxed. he pivots to undiscussed issues in an effective way.
I know it sounds shallow but I really think if he wore dark glasses all the time (like Stevie Wonder) that he'd be doing better. there is something a little disarming about his very slight wall-eyed quality.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 13 Sep 2019, 18:27

Indeed Joe Bidens Top Tips for bringing up poor kids was bizarre - keep the TV and Ye Olde Record Player going at night ?
Because poor folks can't afford books (but presumably they can afford TVs and Record Players )?

What records does he suggest playing ? Comedy records ? Old Eddie Murphy records , the Goons or maybe some Python albums ? I mean WTF ?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 14 Sep 2019, 05:13

I’m increasingly coming to the opinion that these debates are worthless.

The candidates debate policies they can’t possibly implement - and we all just pretend that ‘important policy talk’ is happening. Meanwhile there’s no veracity to anything they say.

In the same debate we just saw Kamala Harris suggest that we should just say, “Yes, We Can” to going around the constitution, and Sanders suggested that the Vice President could simply tell Senate Democrats to ignore the Senate Parliamentarian. But neither statement caused even a ripple of concern. Do we even have a system anymore if Democrats are floating ideas like that?

Even on a pure gamesmanship level, the value of debates seems in doubt. Trump was roundly considered the loser of all of his matchups with Clinton. Didn’t matter. Biden’s been weak in these. Doesn’t matter.

There’s nothing much to see here folks. We’re just going through the motions.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Sep 2019, 06:02

President Tech-Bro, yeah, I think not.

Also, how does Corey Booker get to brag about education in Newark under his watch when he was a marquee name on that Zuckerberg charter school fiasco?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Sep 2019, 07:52

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I’m increasingly coming to the opinion that these debates are worthless.

Sep 14, 2019
The DNC Debates are a Sham
Renee Parsons

In the aftermath of the third Presidential Democratic National Committee (DNC) debate, it was mind boggling that viewers were forced to suffer through a rehash of the same, worn out regurgitations that had already been harangued previously...
https://off-guardian.org/2019/09/14/the ... re-a-sham/
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan