Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Do talk back

Who had the greatest ooof factor....?

Gillan
12
63%
Ozzy
3
16%
Dio
4
21%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 46898
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby The Slider » 12 Aug 2019, 22:03

you had to be there
I did in 1980, I haven't since
The Complete Roxy Music Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 16175
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Aug 2019, 04:19

Gillan has been one of my favorite singers since I was a little kid, a lot of drama and power there.

Pipes wise, Dio is technically better, maybe. But Gillan is ferocious and always on point.

Ozzy's great for Sabbath - better than the others who are technically way better - but not what most call an impressive singer.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 54218
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 16:07

bobzilla77 wrote:Gillan has been one of my favorite singers since I was a little kid, a lot of drama and power there.

Pipes wise, Dio is technically better, maybe. But Gillan is ferocious and always on point.

Ozzy's great for Sabbath - better than the others who are technically way better - but not what most call an impressive singer.


Robust observations




.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30067
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Aug 2019, 16:21

I don't really care about 'who has the best voice,' or any of that shit. 'Who can hit the highest pitch' or whatever. I'm strictly going by which vocalist has recorded the most songs I like - and it's Ozzy, easily. Though I love Deep Purple, Gillan only recorded three great studio albums with the band, plus one great live one (never was too big a fan of Who Do We Think We Are). I guess when I think about it I really do like Perfect Strangers, but not like the '70 - '72 trifecta (not to mention Made in Japan).

Dio probably has the most power of the three, or at least he makes me want to bang my head the most - and the first three Rainbow LPs are the shit, just not quite as good as In Rock, Fireball, and Machine Head. Holy Diver is something of a classic, and Last in Line is a worthy follow up. Still, he places third for me.

And that leaves Ozzy. Six utter classic albums with Sabbath, two awesome solo LPs with Rhandy, and a handful of great tunes after that. He might actually be worth the other two combined in my estimation.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 54218
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 16:29

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't really care about 'who has the best voice,' or any of that shit. 'Who can hit the highest pitch' or whatever. I'm strictly going by which vocalist has recorded the most songs I like - and it's Ozzy, easily. Though I love Deep Purple, Gillan only recorded three great studio albums with the band, plus one great live one (never was too big a fan of Who Do We Think We Are). I guess when I think about it I really do like Perfect Strangers, but not like the '70 - '72 trifecta (not to mention Made in Japan).

Dio probably has the most power of the three, or at least he makes me want to bang my head the most - and the first three Rainbow LPs are the shit, just not quite as good as In Rock, Fireball, and Machine Head. Holy Diver is something of a classic, and Last in Line is a worthy follow up. Still, he places third for me.

And that leaves Ozzy. Six utter classic albums with Sabbath, two awesome solo LPs with Rhandy, and a handful of great tunes after that. He might actually be worth the other two combined in my estimation.


All fair points, but on that logic does that make Bill Ward the 'best' of the three tub thumpers....?






.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30067
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Aug 2019, 16:40

Which three? Ward, Paice, and ?

And I forgot about the two Sabbath albums with Ronnie, he may be second in line for me now, after Ozzy.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43712
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Still Baron » 27 Aug 2019, 16:53

Bill Ward is the greatest drummer of all time.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 54218
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 17:13

Matt Wilson wrote:Which three? Ward, Paice, and ?

And I forgot about the two Sabbath albums with Ronnie, he may be second in line for me now, after Ozzy.


I was thinking the big 3/4 Matt

Paicey, Bill and Cozy/Appice





.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 54218
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 17:14

Still Baron wrote:Bill Ward is the greatest drummer of all time.


You jest my dear friend

You jest...(?)

He may have been, like Ozzy, the right fit for the job but....!





.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 30067
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Aug 2019, 17:18

All of those guys are good. Don't know who I prefer in terms of Powell or Appice, but I love Ian so I'm going with him.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43712
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Still Baron » 27 Aug 2019, 17:24

C wrote:
Still Baron wrote:Bill Ward is the greatest drummer of all time.


You jest my dear friend

You jest...(?)

He may have been, like Ozzy, the right fit for the job but....!





.


Your allegiance to Doug Clifford is admirable. Fair enough! I might even agree. We’ll say Bill Ward is the greatest British drummer and be done with it.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 54218
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby C » 27 Aug 2019, 17:37

Still Baron wrote:Your allegiance to Doug Clifford is admirable.


:lol:

Good lad

Yes, good lad





.
Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3849
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Fonz » 27 Aug 2019, 17:52

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't really care about 'who has the best voice,' or any of that shit. 'Who can hit the highest pitch' or whatever. I'm strictly going by which vocalist has recorded the most songs I like - and it's Ozzy, easily. Though I love Deep Purple, Gillan only recorded three great studio albums with the band, plus one great live one (never was too big a fan of Who Do We Think We Are). I guess when I think about it I really do like Perfect Strangers, but not like the '70 - '72 trifecta (not to mention Made in Japan).

Dio probably has the most power of the three, or at least he makes me want to bang my head the most - and the first three Rainbow LPs are the shit, just not quite as good as In Rock, Fireball, and Machine Head. Holy Diver is something of a classic, and Last in Line is a worthy follow up. Still, he places third for me.

And that leaves Ozzy. Six utter classic albums with Sabbath, two awesome solo LPs with Rhandy, and a handful of great tunes after that. He might actually be worth the other two combined in my estimation.



By your criterion I would also place Ozzy at no 1, but I don’t especially like his voice. And he’s a tool.
Definitely had the pick of the guitarists to work with, which is why I like his music. Jake E Lee for the crown.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit
Posts: 6870
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 01:25
Location: A place just south of Witches Valley

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Shagger Dave » 28 Sep 2019, 04:34

Ozzy is really only as good as the guys around him. I love Sabbath and the first two records with Randy but it's all downhill (and fast) after that.

Gillian has great phrasing and can scream like no ones business. I don't hear a lot of dynamics with him, though.

Dio has the range, the phrasing and a great (albeit often goofy) way of delivering a lyric. Plus, as others have mentioned his voice has some heft to it.

I'd pick Ronnie.
He tries.

User avatar
Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit
Posts: 6870
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 01:25
Location: A place just south of Witches Valley

Re: Gillan v Ozzy v Dio

Postby Shagger Dave » 28 Sep 2019, 04:34

Oh, but I would like to add that Zero The Hero, played at ear splitting volume, is one of the finest activities one can engage in.
He tries.